• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Discussion

This Indian team winning 2011 World Cup

• Total voters

Shri

Mr. Glass
Uthappa opened with Sachin in the CB series final that we won and did not play aggressively even though he did a job for us. Could bat anywhere in the XI when he is on form tbh.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Kohli simply must play every game in the WC. He is that damn good atm.

Our top 7 should be something like this:

Tendulkar
Sehwag
Gambhir
Kohli
Yuvraj
Dhoni
Raina

Then 2 pacers and 2 spinners

Ashwin/Chawla
Singh
Kumar
Khan

Maximus0723

State Regular
WC:::Indian batting lineup

Raina or Yusuf?
Where will Gambhir, Kohli and Yuvi bat?
Who will be the third seamer? Munaf or Nehra?

IMO,
I would go with,

Sehwag
Sachin
Gambhir
Kohli
Yuvraj
Dhoni
Yusuf
Harbhajan
Praveen
Zaheer
Munaf

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
1. Sehwag
2. Tendulkar
3. Gambhir
4. Kohli
5. Yuvraj
6. Raina
7. Dhoni

For mine. I don't mind too much if Yusuf plays ahead of Raina but Kohli has to play and he has to bat in the top four.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Play Yusuf in place of Waterboy if he has one or two more failures.

vcs

Waterboy is a crucial bowler though in the scheme of things now.
Yuvraj is the first in queue to get dropped from this lineup for Pathan, AFAIC. Surely Kohli has cemented his spot in the XI. He is also a superb fielder. Sure, the part-timers have bowled well in tandem recently, but dropping Kohli to accommodate Yuvraj, Raina and Pathan (for their part-time spin) is not on, for me. Besides, hopefully Sehwag will also be able to bowl a bit by then.
This is what I wrote in the match thread. :)

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
But if you drop Waterboy ,you give 10 overs to Pathan and Raina who are both off spinners and can get slogged big time and are inconsistent.

Waterboy offers variety to the attack as a left arm spinner and is particularly effective to the righties.

He has done pretty well in recent times as a part timer and is a shoe in to get about 5/6 overs each game in the current plans.

Can't really drop him unless he keeps failing with the bat really badly. But he did score a crucial 50 2 games back.

vcs

The variety is a good point. Then I guess we just have to bite the bullet and keep Pathan in reserve, though he hasn't done much wrong. Kohli brings a lot of class to the batting which will be sorely needed if we get to the knockout stages and face a top bowling attack, IMO. Especially if Sachin falls early.

Yuvraj's form since mid-2009 has been pretty awful, despite the occasional scratchy 50... by all rights, he should be the one to make way if Pathan were to come in.

Maximus0723

State Regular
yea AWTA,

Waterboy (yea I love that!) is contributes more w/ bowl than w/ bat and he is our bowling all-rounder al beit a ****ty one.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
For me it is a straight toss up between Gambhir and Kohli ,and anything else the team balance goes a bit awry in Indian conditions.

And at the moment i would just by the fraction ,pick Gambhir ahead of Kohli because of him being a left hander and someone who can really stand up in pressure situations.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Drop Pathan.

Yuvraj = Pathan as a bowler and pwns him as a batsman. The small bonus gained by the mental cushion that he will come out and win the game when 70 is needed of 30 is countered by us having a ****ing awesome batting line-up with Dhoni coming at 7 which won't even let us come to such a situation in 99/100 cases, if we don't play Pathan. Pathan is a highly overrated bat.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Drop Pathan.

Yuvraj = Pathan as a bowler and pwns him as a batsman. The small bonus gained by the mental cushion that he will come out and win the game when 70 is needed of 30 is countered by us having a ****ing awesome batting line-up with Dhoni coming at 7 which won't even let us come to such a situation in 99/100 cases, if we don't play Pathan. Pathan is a highly overrated bat.
Spot on!

Maximus0723

State Regular
Drop Pathan.

So who u gonna replace Pathan with?
Raina? lol OK.

Pathan averages effin 55 with bat in India.
His bowling SR is 36.
He has batting SR of 110.

Raina is out of form for so long now.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Raina isn't out of form. I think people are looking too much into his short bowl problems and test form. His ODI form is fine. Not as prolific as he usually is but that will happen from time to time when you bat at 6/7. Just a few months ago he hit 71 (48 balls) against Aus to finish a run chase. He will be fine. As will Yuvraj.. I know he's gonna come good in WC.. I just know it. I say play pathan in some matches and Kholi in some just to they are both in decent nick. Would definitely prefer Kohli against top teams though. Just don't have too much faith in Pathan to deliver the goods when it matters.

Maximus0723

State Regular
Raina isn't out of form. I think people are looking too much into his short bowl problems and test form. His ODI form is fine. Not as prolific as he usually is but that will happen from time to time when you bat at 6/7. Just a few months ago he hit 71 (48 balls) against Aus to finish a run chase. He will be fine. As will Yuvraj.. I know he's gonna come good in WC.. I just know it. I say play pathan in some matches and Kholi in some just to they are both in decent nick. Would definitely prefer Kohli against top teams though. Just don't have too much faith in Pathan to deliver the goods when it matters.
You have to play Kohli in every single match. That man is on fire. You have to make most out of his form. It's not even an option.

Raina in last six months.

Pathan in last six months

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
You have to play Kohli in every single match. That man is on fire. You have to make most out of his form. It's not even an option.

Raina in last six months.

Pathan in last six months
Yeah I realize that. Ideally I'd still play Kohli in all the matches but I have a feeling it won't turn out that way. As for Raina v Pathan I'd still take Raina over Pathan despite the minor slump in form (which is honestly nothing to worry about). Pathan's average is boosted massively by that 1 knock against NZ. Raina is also a better fielder than Pathan and there bowling doesn't even come into play since ANY of our part timers can get pasted in any match come the WC. That's due to none of them actually bowling "well" (apart from maybe Yuvi). They are just getting wickets because SA fail to take advantage of **** deliveries being dished out which are resulting in wickets. It's equally likely that both Pathan and Raina can produce 2/35 (8 overs) or something like 0/40 (5 overs) on a particular day. So still very much Raina > Pathan for me if I had to choose one.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Kohli will play. Raina can play. Either Yusuf or Ashwin should play. Yuvraj should not get a game.

India's bowling is not in the best of shape, and the part-time assortment is an area of weakness. There's no strength in these options, as can be seen when they give away massive totals even in difficult batting conditions. They failed in Durban, PE and Centurion. They were outperformed by South Africa's Albie-less, Boucher-shorn tail end. More importantly, all of Dhoni's part-time bowling hopes are struggling with the bat. On dicey decks, they are decently effective when a regular can dominate. On flat surfaces, they're sitting ducks. In what can be called the Michael Clarke effect, the more they bowl, the less they score.

Yuvraj, in particular, has been abysmal. He should be dropped- with his present record, as of 01 Jan 2010, has been atrocious. Three fifties, with no hundred. An average that's ideal for a bowler, not a batsman. A strike rate that's seriously out of time, under eighty. His bowling is no factor, when they're still conceding more runs than they can score. Besides, Yusuf has also bowled a lot (with decent results for a filler) and done far better with the bat, at seven. With batting stats so dire, a bowler can replace Yuvraj and it won't make much of a difference. Three bowlers like Botha can do more than Yuvraj for this team.

TOP SIX: Sehwag, Tendulkar, Gambhir (powerplays), Kohli, Raina, Dhoni
BOWLING #1: Zaheer, Praveen, Munaf/Nehra, Harbhajan, Yusuf
BOWLING #2: Zaheer, Praveen, Munaf/Nehra, Harbhajan, Ashwin

The fielding weakness of Munaf, Nehra and Praveen is another matter of concern. Footwork doesn't help. The fielding form of Kohli, Raina, Zaheer and Yusuf should help.