• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Twenty20 World Cup

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
Winning one of those long 5/7 game series is like having the best practice lap time in a Grand Prix - doesn't really tell you anything because there are so many other factors thrown in.
Yeah, Winning those 7 game series with a 6-1 margin tells you something. :laugh:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Plus an Englishman accusing India of choking is sort of like South African cricket team telling Phil Mickelson that he needs to win more majors.

pasag

RTDAS
I think the exact opposite. We should do away with these stupid three side series where the second worst team makes it into the final. It is also unfair that one team can dominate the entire series but can be beaten in the final and therefore win the series, despite winning much more games. This is however the 'flaw' in all finals systems.

Thats why I appreciate the games of 5/7 against only one other side. It is much more intruiging playing the same side with the changing tactics, players adapting to each other learning and fine tuning. In that way it has more similaties to a test match, than a tri nation does.

That is part of the reason the Aus SA in SA one day series was a million times better than the Aus, SA, SL series here at home.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Scaly piscine said:
Yep, and those thrilling 7 ODI series that are usually over after 4-5 games - still they don't have a final as such so that's good for India.
But they still have coloured uniforms, so not good news for England unfortunately. :(

archie mac

International Coach
Autobahn said:
So what is it then?
I don't know, but we don't call Touch Footy Rugby League.

We don't call Softball Baseball

We don't call Badminton Tennis

We don't call Netball Basketball

So as long as they do not use the word cricket I will be happy :)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
archie mac said:

Test cricket now is much different than test cricket of 1890. Maybe Twenty20 will become the 'real' cricket. Just give it time.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
How about Cric-Hit

Shows the origins and the aims and as you can probably tell it sounds like cricket

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Goughy said:
How about Cric-Hit

Shows the origins and the aims and as you can probably tell it sounds like cricket

Or Twenty20 can be cricket, and Test cricket can be borinket. Accurately describes what can usually be expected, as far as most people are concerned.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
archie mac said:

Well touch footy is actually based on american football i think.

And what is so wrong with calling 20/20 cricket?

And anyway the difference between the sports mentioned is the ball is always different.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
Accurately describes what can usually be expected, as far as most people are concerned.
Nothing ****es me off more than people making sweeping statements and speaking for everyone. Speak for yourself but do not tell us what everyone else thinks.

archie mac

International Coach
Goughy said:
How about Cric-Hit

:laugh:

I like it, the name that is, but not the game

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Goughy said:
Nothing ****es me off more than people making sweeping statements and speaking for everyone. Speak for yourself but do not tell us what everyone else thinks.

Insecure much? Considering I never used the word 'everyone', nor implied everyone thinks this way. And why would I say that? I prefer Test cricket to ODI/Twenty20....however, that doesn't seem to be true outside the cricket 'alficionados'.

I said, 'most people'. And that can be witnessed simply by the attendence and television ratings.

archie mac

International Coach
Autobahn said:
Well touch footy is actually based on american football i think.

And what is so wrong with calling 20/20 cricket?

And anyway the difference between the sports mentioned is the ball is always different.
Touch Footy is Rugby League with out the tackles :) And they use the same ball.

I just don't think it is cricket but that is my opinion:ph34r:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scaly piscine said:
Winning one of those long 5/7 game series is like having the best practice lap time in a Grand Prix
In which case England are a Liuzzi.

Hence the Grand Prix comparison is more tripe.

archie mac

International Coach
silentstriker said:
Insecure much? Considering I never used the word 'everyone', nor implied everyone thinks this way. And why would I say that? I prefer Test cricket to ODI/Twenty20....however, that doesn't seem to be true outside the cricket 'alficionados'.

I said, 'most people'. And that can be witnessed simply by the attendence and television ratings.
I think that was true a few years ago, but I think things are changing.

The Test tickets for the up-coming Ashes series were the ones to sell out, not the tickets for the ODI.

The same in England.

And the last time Aust. tourned India they cancelled some ODI to fit in another Test Match

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scaly piscine said:
England got to the final of the CT (beating Australia along the way), and tied with Australia in a final. Compare that to over the last few years India 'achieved' something like a long period of ~20 finals and won one of them.
Great, 2 whole finals in what length of time?

Bearing in mind that 1 of those 2 involved Bangladesh, it's hardly a great deal to shout about, and certainly not enough to mock India.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Dasa said:
So England have been in two finals in recent times, 'choked' in one (note: I don't think England choked against the Windies, just Bradshaw and Browne played very well at the end), and arguably 'choked' in the other as well (since they didn't actually win). Still no wins, so how is that a good ODI record?
To be fair Dasa, they battled the tie from nowhere - no real choking in finals, but then again we don't tend tend to reach finals because we're not good enough.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
archie mac said:
I think that was true a few years ago, but I think things are changing.

The Test tickets for the up-coming Ashes series were the ones to sell out, not the tickets for the ODI.

The same in England.

And the last time Aust. tourned India they cancelled some ODI to fit in another Test Match

I hope this remains true outside Aus/Eng. But I am not sure that it will. There will be momentary spikes in popularity for important series...but day in and day out...which games sell out?

Like I said, Aust and Eng are the traditional strongholds of Test cricket, and I think it will stay that way for a while.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
archie mac said:
Touch Footy is Rugby League with out the tackles :) And they use the same ball.

I just don't think it is cricket but that is my opinion:ph34r:
Well when i see it's always with an american football....:wacko:

archie mac

International Coach
Autobahn said:
Well when i see it's always with an american football....:wacko:
Maybe different here in Aust. although the ball may be slightly different here as well, could be a little lighter I think. But not much more differnet then the red and white balls used in cricket :)

Last edited: