• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Zimbabwe's second greatest batsman

Zimbabwe greatest after Flower

• Total voters

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
The highlight of watching Zimbabwe during the 1990's and early 2000's was the batting spectacle displayed by Andy Flower. Undoubtedly the finest player to ever represent Zimbabwe and a player just shy of all time great status. Outside of Brian Lara quite possibly the second best player of spin bowling in the modern era, and a player who's exploits in India will rarely be surpassed.

Beyond Andy Flower though, who would you rate as Zimbabwe's second best batsman of all time? I don't mind if you vote based on Test cricket, One Day International Cricket or Domestic cricket. Zimbabwean cricketers have had varying degrees of success across all formats, and given the relatively short history of Zimbabwe at international level more weight may be given for some of the performances at first class level (Goodwin in Sheffield Shield and County Cricket as an example).

The reason I ask is because there are no obvious candidates. Some of Zimbabwe's longest serving Test cricketers were barely of international batting standard (Campbell, Grant Flower, Whittall) or perhaps didn't play a large enough sample of games (Johnson, Goodwin, Houghton and Taibu) or are perhaps more highly regarded for bowling over batting (Streak and Paul Strang).

Tests: Leading run scorers

ODI: Leading run scorers

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Goodwin been churning out the runs for years and years now, seen him score far to many runs against Hampshire.

Obviously not in the same class but Sean Ervine is one of my favourite players and having a good season this time around, still young enough that I hope his best years are still ahead of him.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That'll teach me for not reading the post before answering the poll.......

pskov

International 12th Man
That'll teach me for not reading the post before answering the poll.......
Me too. :laugh:

Change one Streak vote to Goodwin, he has been an excellent performer in county cricket for a decade, I don't think his test match average is a fluke at all.

Noble One

Ok maybe the Poll title is a little misleading. If a mod could change it to something more obvious like "Zimbabwe's second greatest batsman". Although I blame those who don't read the opening post.

turnstyle

State 12th Man
Dave Houghton must be up there. Like many emerging nations before they're granted full membership, some of their greatest players never got to play in their peak at test/odi level so their records on cricinfo aren't going to reflect just how good they were.

Noble One

Dave Houghton must be up there. Like many emerging nations before they're granted full membership, some of their greatest players never got to play in their peak at test/odi level so their records on cricinfo aren't going to reflect just how good they were.
Does anyone recall Dave Houghton 266? What an incredible innings considering the next highest run-score in the Zimbabwe innings was Andy Flower with 50.

Sir Alex

Banned
The highlight of watching Zimbabwe during the 1990's and early 2000's was the batting spectacle displayed by Andy Flower. Undoubtedly the finest player to ever represent Zimbabwe and a player just shy of all time great status. Outside of Brian Lara quite possibly the second best player of spin bowling in the modern era, and a player who's exploits in India will rarely be surpassed. [/URL]
You mean "non-subcontinental" right?

Noble One

You mean "non-subcontinental" right?
Just adding some colour to the opening post. This thread is not for debating who was the best player of spin in recent times and I would appreciate it if the discussion was kept on topic.

Sir Alex

Banned
Just adding some colour to the opening post. This thread is not for debating who was the best player of spin in recent times and I would appreciate it if the discussion was kept on topic.
No need to add "undue" credit... that was my only point. Besides I agree that outside the subC he is the second best player of spin I've seen too... So it's more like a defining well a compliment..

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I have a lot of time for Houghton being the answer to this one, though I went with Johnson - just thought his style and temperament were superb.

turnstyle

State 12th Man
No need to add "undue" credit... that was my only point. Besides I agree that outside the subC he is the second best player of spin I've seen too... So it's more like a defining well a compliment..
but refering to Tendulker as 'god' isn't?