• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Zimbabwe's Future?

Ur Choices?

• Total voters

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
i hate the bcci....stop being so damn political and realize that Zimbabwe is using ICC funds to further the livelihood and agenda of a terrible regime. How can they have a conscience about this - look at the news, mugabe and his group of thugs maimed voters to keep them from voting against the regime. this is truly criminal.

i wish the bcci would just implode.
The ICC’s ‘investment’ within Zimbabwe is pocket money for the Zimbabwean government, Anglo-American pumped over $200 million into the country over the past few months whilst most major Western corporations (even Supermarkets such as Morrisons!) continue business there, as does the Chinese. The ICC telling Zim where to go economically would not make anyone lose any sleep in Harare.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Basically Pawar is a corrupt politician and his actions must be anticipated from that selfish point of view.
I've said a few times that I'm not a hell of an expert on overseas politics, but I'd always got the impression Pawar was reasonably respectable.

Is he really more corrupt than "standard" politicians are?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I've said a few times that I'm not a hell of an expert on overseas politics, but I'd always got the impression Pawar was reasonably respectable.

Is he really more corrupt than "standard" politicians are?
No, he is a typical Indian politician, which means much more corrupt than virtually any western politician. You know, the type of guy who moans about Indian honor being violated because of a few actions on a cricket field while farmers in India keep committing suicide (he is the agricultural minister) under his watch.

unccricket

School Boy/Girl Captain
The ICC’s ‘investment’ within Zimbabwe is pocket money for the Zimbabwean government, Anglo-American pumped over $200 million into the country over the past few months whilst most major Western corporations (even Supermarkets such as Morrisons!) continue business there, as does the Chinese. The ICC telling Zim where to go economically would not make anyone lose any sleep in Harare.
that's true, but from a moral standpoint, i know i wouldn't want to be giving my money to such a regime...its on the higher ups of various governments/corporations to do the same.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I will be furious if (rather when) the BCCI blocks/prevents action being taken against Zimbabwe. A lot of the time they are vilified for simply doing whats best financially for Indian cricket, but this will be crossing the line, and then pissing on it.

Am embarrassed to be an Indian fan with this occurring. Disgusting.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
i hate the bcci....stop being so damn political and realize that Zimbabwe is using ICC funds to further the livelihood and agenda of a terrible regime. How can they have a conscience about this - look at the news, mugabe and his group of thugs maimed voters to keep them from voting against the regime. this is truly criminal.

i wish the bcci would just implode.
Amen! But really, I do think it came to a point that Zimbabwe justs needs to be suspended from the ICC without just demoting them to associate membership, because that doesn't do anything- they would still be playing cricket. So they like SA back in the day should be suspended until a new president or a proper election in the country is held.

biased indian

International Coach
India set to block Zimbabwe action

Link

i don't know why we should be banning Zimbabwe ???

..they are allowed to compete in the Football world cup qualifiers rite..or are they banned from that also ?????

Last edited:

brockley

International Captain
Future of Zimbabwe cricket

India likely to back Zimbabwe

Cricinfo staff

June 27, 2008

The BCCI is unlikely to support any stringent action against Zimbabwe at the ICC's annual meeting in Dubai next week, a top Indian board official has indicated.

"We have always supported Zimbabwe cricket and have nothing to do with the political situation there," a senior BCCI official told Cricinfo. "In fact, we are a bit surprised that the issue has been brought up once again since the ICC board had discussed this last year and decided clearly that politics and cricket can't be mixed. The BCCI believes that a country's politics and its cricket don't go together. There is no reason to change our stand now."

On Monday, Cricket South Africa announced it was suspending its bilateral agreement with Zimbabwe Cricket, citing the worsening "general situation" there. That was quickly followed by the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) scrapping a proposed tour by Zimbabwe in 2009 after the British government advised them it would support such action.

Speaking to Sky Sports on Wednesday, David Morgan, who will take over from Ray Mali as ICC president at the end of the annual meeting next week, welcomed action against Zimbabwe but warned: "It will be a very difficult discussion. India and Zimbabwe are close and India's position is crucial in all this, for sure."

© Cricinfo

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
That is just disgusting. The fact that the BCCI is willing to blatantly ignore the attrocious violation of human rights and rule of law that is occuring in Zimbabwe, just to make safe their majority on the ICC is utterly unconscionable. As a former resident of Harare, I find this both deeply offensive and saddening. This would be like if Australia and England had continued to play apartheid South Africa in the 70's and 80's, in order to secure their old boys club dominance of the world game.

Last edited:

biased indian

International Coach
That is just disgusting. The fact that the BCCI is willing to blatantly ignore the attrocious violation of human rights and rule of law that is occuring in Zimbabwe, just to make safe their majority on the ICC is utterly unconscionable. As a former resident of Harare, I find this both deeply offensive and saddening. This would be like if Australia and England had continued to play apartheid South Africa in the 70's and 80's, in order to secure their old boys club dominance of the world game.
And particularly when IOC,FIFA and all have banned Zimbabwe from participating

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
And particularly when IOC,FIFA and all have banned Zimbabwe from participating
Just because Zimbabwe hasn't been banned by other major sporting organisations, doesn't mean the ICC should avoid taking a stand. In any case the national football team and the individuals who make up the olympic squad are not nearly as closely connected to the Mugabe administration as Cricket is (it is well known that Mugabe is seen as the patron of cricket in Zimbabwe).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That is just disgusting. The fact that the BCCI is willing to blatantly ignore the attrocious violation of human rights and rule of law that is occuring in Zimbabwe, just to make safe their majority on the ICC is utterly unconscionable.
It just amazes me that anyone's surprised though.

I mean, yeah, I was vaguely hopeful, but no more than that.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
That is just disgusting. The fact that the BCCI is willing to blatantly ignore the attrocious violation of human rights and rule of law that is occuring in Zimbabwe,
TBF, it's easier to be moral against a weak country. How many countries are boycotting China?

In any case, I do think Zimbabwe should be suspended much like SA were, but let's not pretend its anything more than what it is here.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBF, it's easier to be moral against a weak country.
More accurately, it's possible against a weak country; it's extremely stupid against a more powerful one.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't try to exploit the weakness of an abhorrant regime. No-one should ever take the attitude that "they've no right moralising over Zimbabwe because they don't over China". Utterly idiotic.