• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your opinion on 3rd test wicket?

cnerd123

likes this
I think it's fine, and possibly even good - once in a while. But you can't have it too often - it devalues skill.
sure, but you can say that about any wicket. too many grassy ones devalue seam bowling skill and makes spin irrelevant, too many flat decks devalues batting skill and makes bowling irrelevant, too many bouncy tracks makes overspin/back of a length bowling/backfoot play the dominant forces.

I don't even think this pitch negated skill alltogether. It just required a different set of skills that the batsmen by and large didn't have. And that's fine every now and then, as you say.

sunilz

International Regular
More than pitch , we need to discuss about Pink ball . I think it is sure now that Pink ball is too bowler friendly and we need to make sure,the pitch is flat for even contest.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
sure, but you can say that about any wicket. too many grassy ones devalue seam bowling skill and makes spin irrelevant, too many flat decks devalues batting skill and makes bowling irrelevant, too many bouncy tracks makes overspin/back of a length bowling/backfoot play the dominant forces.

I don't even think this pitch negated skill alltogether. It just required a different set of skills that the batsmen by and large didn't have. And that's fine every now and then, as you say.
Yes and no. This was the shortest game since 1935. Joe root took 5/8 in the first innings. The whataboutism doesn’t work. If the ball is so inconsistent for the fast bowlers that it’s also luck, then yes. And those pitches are also bad. And there’s been a few of them. And those pitches are fine once in a while too because it’s entertaining.

But I want Test cricket results to happen mostly due to skill - with the luck minimized. And that could be skill playing spin, skill playing seam, skill playing swing - whatever it may be. I want to go to the WACA and watch people handle bounce. I want to go to England and watch how people play swing. I want to go to India and see how they play spin. That’s what makes it fun IN THE LONG TERM. I want players who bowl the best to do the best and batsmen who bat the best to score the most. One offs like these not withstanding, which are entertaining but Joe Root is not the best spinner out of the 22 people who played. So you know, well done. But once a season is about right.

cnerd123

likes this
So according to you SS any pitch where a less skilled player outperforms a more skilled one is bad?

Wonder what you make of the Lord's pitch where Agarkar scored a ton then? Or more recently at the Gabba where Washington Sundar outbowled Nathan Lyon

sunilz

International Regular
How much of this pitch can be attributed to pressure to reach WTC final ?

After India lost the 1st test on a lottery wicket , team management thought they have no option but to eliminate toss advantage.

I feel 1st test was on a lottery wicket because the pitch changed its character drastically after 1.5 days

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Eh I do feel it's kind of hard to take such games entirely seriously as a result. I don't know if it's a great advertisement of the game to have two day games where both sides can't even get to 150.
To be fair two of those innings were from England.
India collapsed bad which we are very prone to doing these days it seems, especially with our batting not clicking.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
All of this is true but the mitigating circumstance here is the pink ball and the day-night conditions. We don't still know if it was the pitch alone that caused all of this and you have to give the benefit of doubt for a new stadium as well as the curator and the guys working may still be figuring out how the soil behaves over multiple days and how much grass and water is needed etc. And the pink ball lacquer-straight ball connection has already been made by multiple players.
Yeah but most of the collapses happened long before the lights came on. England were bowled out during day light hours and so was India on Day 2.

Spark

Global Moderator
It's not like there was any discernible difference in how likely the ball was to skid on when the lights came on that I could see. People have posited all sorts of explanations but I still think that it was totally random whether a ball would turn or not.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah but most of the collapses happened long before the lights came on. England were bowled out during day light hours and so was India on Day 2.
Still the pink ball, mate, which is the point. And I actually think the dew would have negated the spinners a bit, as we saw during the Virat-Rohit partnership. A pity we basically had only one session in the night for the test. So in a way, the batsmen never gave themselves the opportunity to be out there batting when the pitch might have been at its best for batting. :laugh:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It's not like there was any discernible difference in how likely the ball was to skid on when the lights came on that I could see. People have posited all sorts of explanations but I still think that it was totally random whether a ball would turn or not.
Yes but the percentage of the turning ball would have been negated for sure though and the bowlers cant impart enough revs when the ball is wet too. Those things would have come into play had the batsmen been there for that period. Not defending the pitch, I have already said it is a bad pitch all things considered but its kinda sad that the batsmen never got a chance at a time when it might have been at its best for batting.