• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your favourite nobodies

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Suhrawadi Shuvo
Remember seeing him play a couple of ODIs against Australia way back, thought he would be around for a while after that. As it turns out, not so much

On a similar note, anybody remember Saqlain Sajib? Added to the Bangladeshi WT20 squad late after someone was nerfed for chucking iirc, played one game against Australia where he got tonked and was pretty much never seen again

Last edited:

Julian87

State Captain
Could have a huge list of players here. But Aussies who never made the top level that I loved watching play domestic cricket were Mark Higgs, Bradley Young, Don Nash, Grahame Rummans, Ryan Campbell, Cullen Bailey, Laurie harper and Graeme Vimpani.

Shady Slim

International Coach
not sure if the big 'grove counts as a nobody but if some of the names that've been dropped in this thread are then he certainly is, how can you not love the big grove

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pankaj Singh. Made a name for himself in an India A team tour to Kenya. Made a few squad selections. I rooted for him and Sri Lanka's Nuwan Kulasekara to make it big, and Kulasekara did a hell of a lot more.
I was seriously devastated for Pankaj Singh when he didn't do well in his two tests. He bowled plenty of trash which was likely from never bowling with the duke + nerves, but he had a couple of spells in there where he looked very threatening. Domestic giant and certainly deserved a run in the side long before he actually got it. I think he's retired but he played the Plate for a while and averaged 7 or something equally stupid with the ball.

Daemon

Yep, it was off Cook on 11 and he went on to make 95. He was the best bowler that day.

JBMAC

State Captain
Dirk Wellham Only played a handful of Tests for Australia .Had a style of batting reminiscent Peter May and Colin Cowdrey

Ian Craig Another young Gun. Skippered Australia in SA definitel under rated What ruined him was he was too young to act as skipper and his natural game fell apart

JBMAC

State Captain
Dirk Wellham Only played a handful of Tests for Australia .Had a style of batting reminiscent Peter May and Colin Cowdrey

Ian Craig Another young Gun. Skippered Australia in SA definitel under rated What ruined him was he was too young to act as skipper and his natural game fell apart

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ziaur Rahman, some Bangladesh guy who opened the batting against NZ in an ODI and was an absolute hack but scored a quickfire 40 or something which was all edges and mi****s.

Mal Loye for the same reason.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Speaking of poms, I thought that Carberry was a gutsy batsman who should have gotten a longer run than he did. He played Johnson in that Ashes series better than pretty much everyone.

Daemon

Who's been the best Australian allrounder between Hopes, Faulkner and Marsh in FC? Marsh is clearly superior imo but his non performances in Test cricket have actually hurt the cricketing progress of the nation. Also why did Faulkner get dropped after doing well in his solitary test?

TheJediBrah

Faulkner is a genuine red-ball bowler, not so much an all-rounder. Difficult to say how much of his stats and utility were enhanced by playing in bowler-friendly Tassie though.

Marsh the best batsman by far.

Hopes as close to a genuine all-rounder at Shield level as you can get. Would have been a no-rounder in Tests though.

Judging them purely as FC players, Marsh>Hopes=Faulkner, IMO

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Could have a huge list of players here. But Aussies who never made the top level that I loved watching play domestic cricket were Mark Higgs, Bradley Young, Don Nash, Grahame Rummans, Ryan Campbell, Cullen Bailey, Laurie harper and Graeme Vimpani.
Cullen Bailey being a SA Liberal Minister's CoS and a lay preacher on the side is such a weird shift for a long-time domestic battler.

Vimpani is an absolute hero. I had a chat with him a few years back and seemed surprised that anyone remembered him. Hit a pretty handy ton vs the WI in a tour match.

Burgey

Speaking of poms, I thought that Carberry was a gutsy batsman who should have gotten a longer run than he did. He played Johnson in that Ashes series better than pretty much everyone.
Carbs was up for a stoush that tour when the only other Pom who had a dig was Bell.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Who's been the best Australian allrounder between Hopes, Faulkner and Marsh in FC? Marsh is clearly superior imo but his non performances in Test cricket have actually hurt the cricketing progress of the nation. Also why did Faulkner get dropped after doing well in his solitary test?
Yeah the Faulkner selection was a bit of a weird one. Both teams debuted bowling all-rounders, but in England's case they'd brought in Woakes and batted him at 6 (?) for the purpose of playing Kerrigan as a second spinner alongside Swann. I can't recall the reasoning for Faulkner, but I'm going to guess it related to the Oval being regarded as pretty flat and most of the depth batting options having done pretty poorly throughout.

He did fine, but he was never going to be good enough to justify playing in a four man attack at home. Next Test was the start 13/14 Ashes, so if he was retained as part of a four man attack on the basis of his Oval results it probably would have been at the expense of Johnson's recall - which is a pretty hilarious alternate history to think about tbh.