• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your favourite commentator (that is not from your own country)?

Favourite foreign commentators

• Total voters

dhillon28

U19 Debutant
agree with the above.

Geoff Boycott is my favorite. The English commentators are really good. I really like the way David Gower speaks. Sounds so aristocratic.

But Boycott for me, unfortunately he is not on the panel.

How can you have the likes of Russell Arnold in there and not have Boycott and Holding?
Russell Arnold- just wanted at least 1 from every country

Geoff Boycott- didn't think of him as he does not commentate much these days- wanted a poll to see who the most popular contemporary commentator is

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Russell Arnold- just wanted at least 1 from every country

Geoff Boycott- didn't think of him as he does not commentate much these days- wanted a poll to see who the most popular contemporary commentator is
You do know there is radio coverage of cricket right???

Swingpanzee

International Regular
I find commentators in sports on the whole to be a wee bit annoying...so I won't vote. But imo Border's the best out of the poll.

Just had a second look at the poll and the fact that Sunil Gavaskar is there makes the entire list invalid. :laugh::D

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
No Harsha Bhogle, but Bumble comes in second best I guess. This forum seems to hate most commentators(or is it just GF?), but tbh having watched cricket all my life I find I can follow the game just as well as they can call it, so the light hearted ones or the strongly opinionated ones always take the cake for me. I never seem to find commentary banter annoying.
I've just been spoiled by having Sky's team. It's not that I hate commentators, it's just that the non-Sky ones are so bad.

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
Michael Atherton / Geoff Boycott / Holding / Hussain/ ever green Benaud

Grant Nisbett play by play guy from NZ used to love hear him talk when i was younger, Sunny(ok from the same country) was a smart commentator once until he became bcci and tendulkar's stooge

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I've just been spoiled by having Sky's team. It's not that I hate commentators, it's just that the non-Sky ones are so bad.
Fair enough, you come to appreciate whatever commentary you get in Australia where watching cricket means six hours of Slats and Heals making Mark Taylor fat jokes.

mde203

Cricket Spectator
I think an ideal commentary team would be:

Play-by-play: Richie Benaud, Jonathan Agnew, Mark Nicholas and Henry Blowfeld

Colour: Mike Atherton, Geff Boycott, Nasser Hussein and Michael Holding

Studio: David Gower, Ian Botham and Shane Warne

smash84

The Tiger King

Botham...NO, JUST NO

jimbags

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Benaud, Lawry, Holding.

Cricket has great commentary compared to most other sports. Between Sky, TMS and C5 the only one I really don't like is Mark Nicholas.

Last edited:

Stapel

International Regular
Holding is missing in that list!

Come on mods, get him in the list please!

Hussain, Atherton & Holding for me, today. Benaud is missed.

Stapel

International Regular

Botham...NO, JUST NO
I guess Ian Botham is a likeable fellow, even when he speaks nonsense.
I've always been surprised by his relatively poor judgement, or even understanding, of bowling tactics, for a guy that has so many international wickets.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I guess Ian Botham is a likeable fellow, even when he speaks nonsense.
I've always been surprised by his relatively poor judgement, or even understanding, of bowling tactics, for a guy that has so many international wickets.

This must be some strange Dutch version of "likeable".:blink:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah Beefy is a toss, would have to be the most disliked of all England, ex captain commentators.

His performance in the studio during the CT was woeful, he was getting quite cranky when the others were disagreeing with him over Engs top order.