• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your 3rd XI

Natman20

International Debutant
Tests btw (thats why Ryder is not even in my 2nd XI)

My New Zealand 2nd Xl:

A Redmond
M Papps
J Marshall
G Hay
*P Fulton
N Broom
+G Hopkins
N McCullum
B Scott
J Franklin (Maybe 1st if fit)
M Mason

My New Zealand 3rd Xl

T Mcintosh
C Cumming
N Parlane
J Ryder
R Nicol
*R Jones
+P McGlashan
B Martin
G Aldridge
B Hiini
B Arnel

12th - Flynn

It was very difficult and one thing that struck me was the lack of bowling options. Of course players like Southee, Patel, Elliott, How etc. would interchange. I most probably forgot quite a few big names.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't get it. Jesse Ryder has a waaaaay better first-class record than one-day record. He's played one good innings in ODI cricket and suddenly he's a better OD player than FC player?

Natman20

International Debutant
I don't get it. Jesse Ryder has a waaaaay better first-class record than one-day record. He's played one good innings in ODI cricket and suddenly he's a better OD player than FC player?
I was going on current form in first class cricket but he could easily replace any of those batsmen in my 2nd XI.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
1st XI:
Jaques Hayden Ponting Clarke M. Hussey Symonds Haddin Lee Johnson Clark MacGill

2nd XI:
Rogers Hughes Hodge Katich D. Hussey Watson Ronchi Noffke Bollinger Tait McGain

3rd XI:
Voges Birt D. Marsh Pomersbach White G. Bailey Paine Siddle Hilfenhaus Bracken Cullen

4th XI:
S. Marsh Jewell Cosgrove North Thornley McDonald Hartley Casson Geeves Magoffin Harris
I like these teams I do think you've accidently forgotten James Hopes however. The 3rd XI batting lineup doesn't appear balanced, I guess it highlights the quality middle order players and lack of openers in the comp.

I'll keep the same top two sides you've picked and have a go at a 3rd and 4th XI

3rd XI
1 Shaun Marsh
2 Travis Birt
3 Luke Pomersbach
4 Adam Voges
5 Cameron White
6 James Hopes
7 Tim Paine
8 Nathan Bracken
9 Dan Cullen
10 Steve Magoffin
11 Ben Hilfenhaus

4th XI
1 Ryan Broad
2 Marcus North
3 George Bailey
4 Daniel Marsh
5 Dominic Thornley
6 Andrew McDonald
7 Beau Casson
8 Chris Hartley
9 Brett Geeves
10 Gerard Denton
11 Peter Siddle

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
what does 'us' mean? i guess everyone is a member here irrespective of whether you are here for x yrs or y months or z days and can give his/her opinion .... does being here for x years give a Ist class upgrade in an airline or something like that? :naughty:

2ndly, discussing 4th or 5th 11 makes little sense, imo, and thats what i m saying and not stoping anyone to discuss this
This is a different forum to most you'll find. Most people here love to discuss in depth topics that the casual fans don't care about. Many people discuss things because they are fun to discuss, regardless of it having merit at all (and I'm not saying 4th and 5th XI wouldn't have any merit). Sometimes there are threads I don't particularly have an interest in, and I just stay out of them instead of trying to ruin it for others.

I for one find this thread very interesting and something different. That alone means its a worthwhile pursuit, regardless of these people ever get selected for the national team. Cricket is not limited to the international level. Some fantastic cricket is played at the FC and other levels, and for fans of the sport, it is perfectly legitimate to discuss it.

anyways, how abt a high calibre analysis of 11th eleven of some country :p
If you're interested in discussing that, go right ahead.

yeah but to someone like me a 4th 11 of Eng players probably looks like

- Kane, HHH, Stonecold
- Rock, Batista, Undertaker, Michels
- Sting, Big show, Diesel, latino heat

as I hv never seen them in action from a cricketing perspective .... and reading names of some of the players is like reading arabic or chinese,i.e. rings no bell what so ever .... and some of them may never play for Eng, so there is no point in even knowing their names
That is a ridiculous assertion. I may not know New Zealand 3rd XI, but I'd sure as hell be interested in learning even if they never face my team. Again, cricket is wider than the international game.

we can go on and on making such 11s as cricketers are in abundance, but whats lacking is quality .... i think top 20-25 players from a country give a good idea abt bench-strength and that would make a more meaningful topic
Many people enjoy FC cricket for the sake of FC cricket.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
1st XI: M Vandort, M Wanapura, K Sanagakkara, M Jayawardene (c), T Samaraweera, T Dilshan, P Jayawardene (k) C Vaas, T Thurshara, L Malinga, M Muralitharan

2nd XI: M Udawatte, T Paranavitana, K Silva (k), C Silva, C Kapugedera, T Kandamby, A Mathews, F Maharoof (c), R Hearth, D Fernando, I Amersinghe

3rd XI:

N Nawela
U Tharanga (c)
K Gunawardene
S Fernando
L De Silva (k)
I de Saram
K Kulasekera
M Bandara
S de Silva
C Welegedara
A Mendis

A lot batting coming through when you consider the next in line is 37yo Hemantha Wickramaratne or Jehen Muburak. Nawela and Gunawardene only make it as there no other real top order options, apart from the above two. Quite a few talented spinner below those guys though.

Last edited:

ret

International Debutant
This is a different forum to most you'll find. Most people here love to discuss in depth topics that the casual fans don't care about. Many people discuss things because they are fun to discuss, regardless of it having merit at all (and I'm not saying 4th and 5th XI wouldn't have any merit). Sometimes there are threads I don't particularly have an interest in, and I just stay out of them instead of trying to ruin it for others.

I for one find this thread very interesting and something different. That alone means its a worthwhile pursuit, regardless of these people ever get selected for the national team. Cricket is not limited to the international level. Some fantastic cricket is played at the FC and other levels, and for fans of the sport, it is perfectly legitimate to discuss it.

If you're interested in discussing that, go right ahead.

That is a ridiculous assertion. I may not know New Zealand 3rd XI, but I'd sure as hell be interested in learning even if they never face my team. Again, cricket is wider than the international game.

Many people enjoy FC cricket for the sake of FC cricket.
It would be a good idea to have a FC section to this forum then .... and i don't know if i ruined this thread but if i did then i apologise

I m sure you would be interested in knowing the 3rd 11 but not me as

Ist, writing down the 3rd/4th 11 with mostly domestic player doesn't tell you how good the players actually are

2nd, you don't know the demographics .... the 11 could be comprised of international discards, be of players of the same age group as those in the international line up, have players who have little chance of making it to the next level and so on

3rd, a handful of players play tons of international games, which makes the discussing the 11s which are further down the line not that attractive .... the 11s are just names posted here like the example that i gave in my earlier post

I would be more interested in knowing abt the upcoming players, the under 19s, the players in form, their stats and stuff like that then just knowing some random names that very few know about

If you still don't get the point then i ll illustrate this in another way:

I. Japanese fims ----> Rashomon, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, Ran, Seven Samurai

Or

II. Rashomon ----> it's a gr8 Japanese film which is directed by one of the gr8est directors of all time, i.e. Kurosawa .... The film, which was released in 1950s, tells a story from the point of view of different people. This concept of story-telling, i guess, is shown in the Vantage Point, the latest hollywood film .... Technically too it was ground-breaking, esp. in the use of camera angles .... Rashomon had such an impact in those days [1950s] that Oscar decided to start the best forgien film category for it. This tradition is still maintained .... Roshomon is a must watch for all movie fans

There is no need to say that which discussion is more meaningful and the one I prefer

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
3rd, a handful of players play tons of international games, which makes the discussing the 11s which are further down the line not that attractive .... the 11s are just names posted here like the example that i gave in my earlier post
There is more to cricket than the international level sport.

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
Ahead of Chawla? Probably just an oversight.
Not really.. It is the selectors' mad obsession with the U-19 players that really dented the chances of those die-hards in the domestic circuit. Suresh Raina/Rohit Sharma over Barinath, Chawla over Amit Mishra, etc... Especially i dont think Chawla is test material at all... His recent performances in the Duleep Trophy would stand testimony to that...

ret

International Debutant
in the same way, i would not watch a low grade film in the name of there is more to movies than top grade films, i would not care abt Nth 11 in the name of there is more to cricket than internaional cricket, esp. when the discussion of Nth 11 don't address some of the points that I raised in my earlier posts :)

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
1st XI
V Sehwag
A Chopra
Dravid
Sachin
Badrinath
Laxman
Dhoni(wk)
Sreesanth
P Kumar
Ishant Sharma
A Kumble(c)

2nd XI
G Gambhir
Dinesh Karthik(wk)
Ganguly
Yashpal Singh
Yuvraj Singh
Rohit Sharma
Rajat Bhatia
Murali Karthik
Zaheer Khan
RP Singh
Amit Mishra

3rd XI
Murali Vijay/A Mukund
Sanjay Bangar
A Rahane
C Pujara
Mitun Manhas
Raina/Kaif
Wriddhiman Saha(wk)
P Sangwan
Ashraf Makda
Pankaj Singh
R Ashwin

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Harby a tad unlikely to miss all three sides. As well as Pathan. Some interesting selections to say the least even when you take into account domestic records.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Especially i dont think Chawla is test material at all... His recent performances in the Duleep Trophy would stand testimony to that...
I don't think he's Test calibre at this very moment but you can't tell me he doesn't have the potential to be in a couple of years time, especially having seen the way he has performed under pressure for India thus far in his career?

For mine he looks as developed as a 19 year old spinner could be and seems to have a very high upside to his game. Easily in the 3rd team for mine and the 2nd with Kartik if we're playing two spinners.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Aussie XIs

1st XI: M Hayden, P Jaques, R Ponting (c), M Hussey, M Clarke, S Watson, B Haddin (k), B Lee, M Johnson, S Clark, S MacGill

2nd XI: P Hughes. C Rogers, B Hodge, S Katich (c), L Pomersbach, A Symonds, T Paine (k), A Noffke, B McGain, S Tait, D Bollinger

3rd XI:

L Davis
N Jewell
S Marsh
A Voges
C White (c)
M North
J Hopes
C Hartley (k)
P Siddle
N Bracken
B Hilfenhaus

sideshowtim

Banned
Aussie XIs

1st XI: M Hayden, P Jaques, R Ponting (c), M Hussey, M Clarke, S Watson, B Haddin (k), B Lee, M Johnson, S Clark, S MacGill

2nd XI: P Hughes. C Rogers, B Hodge, S Katich (c), L Pomersbach, A Symonds, T Paine (k), A Noffke, B McGain, S Tait, D Bollinger

3rd XI:

L Davis
N Jewell
S Marsh
A Voges
C White (c)
M North
J Hopes
C Hartley (k)
P Siddle
N Bracken
B Hilfenhaus
Not a Ronchi fan mate?

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Australia 1st XI
Jaques, Hayden, Ponting (capt), MEK Hussey, Clarke, Symonds, Haddin (wk), Lee, Johnson, Clark MacGill

Australia 2nd XI
Rogers, Hughes, Katich (capt), Hodge, DJ Hussey, Voges, Ronchi (wk), Noffke, McGain, Geeves, Bollinger

Australia 3rd XI
Jewell
Watson
SE Marsh
Pomersbach
White (capt)
Hopes
Paine (wk)
Casson
Siddle
Bracken
Hilfenhaus

Much harder than it looks. The opening depth gets very thin and I couldn't fit Watson in my first two sides - there is so much bowling depth in Australia at the moment.