• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

You know what really grinds my sporting gears?

ripper868

International Coach
John Steffenson - that 400 metre running guy.

WAC he's **** yet brags like he's Usain bolt or something.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I sympathise for the argument, but then wonder wtf is the point of being a supporter that isn't one of the top 4?

Be a Sunderland supporter to win Div 1, and then step into the EPL and get your ass handed to you, or at best end up mid-table?

That's why the marketing of the EPL overseas is based around the big 4, as seen in the Indian ad I posted above. Highly unlikely that the other clubs will receive much revenue through an international fan base, which removes any chance of them ever having the money to compete with the big 4. Its like a never-ending circle. Crap team because of no money, hence no exposure to international fans, hence no huge income, hence crap team.
Good post

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Football hooligans.
Terrorise streets just because of the results of the football. When you go into school, they constantly ask you who do you support. I told them I don't like football, and they still ask me that question. It's as if football is the holy grail.
Gor Mahia v. AFC Leopards.:ranting:

Making the city of Nairobi damn near ungovernable every time they play one another, or drop points against anyone. Idiot fans have cost their clubs all credibility with corporate sponsors, and hence the possibility that these two storied clubs could ever be more than modest fish in a tiny pond. Such flippin' idiots! :ranting:

On a slightly less gear grinding note is Kenyan long distance track runners refusing to push the pace early on allowing Mo Farah, and or several Ethiopians to burn them on the final lap time after time after time.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Haha don't bother. I've tried fighting this fight on here.

Wilfull blindness imo.

Giving an example of a richer club not doing as well as a poorer one doesn't falter the argument tbh. You can't deny the evidence is there, that the same clubs keep winning.

But nah, apparently its fun seeing Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool battle it out every year.
2877.jpg

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Indeed, it's not ideal, but you just have to realise the top 4 are exceedingly well run clubs. Well three are, and one have a multi-billionaire owner. Nothing much can be done about it, and any restrictions, just means that the other European leagues will outstrip our competition.

Really pointless comparing it to AFL or any of the American sports as they're the only gig in town really.

Exeter haven't been in the two top leagues of the divisions for our 100 plus years in pro-football, so not much has changed really. I'm not really stressing about the dominance of the top-four, it has to be said:unsure:

Hull, Wigan and Stoke does show that it's possible for a smaller club to get in the top division, mind.

Much prefer football nowadays, to days of yore. Players were always ***** when I met them, now we just read more about it in the tabs. The culture is twenty times more civilised, and personally I'm pleased that skill is not hoofed off the pitch any more. (well mostly, Torquay and Stoke excluded, obviously).
Considering Gimp liked this post I'll bring it back up. It was always my opinion at the time that the top 4 were good, because they were, well, good, and they showed this in Europe. 3 winners and a finalist in Champions League.

All of a sudden, three of the teams don't look like they're going to make it in the top 4, and the other is considered (by many) to be a disaster season.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Considering Gimp liked this post I'll bring it back up. It was always my opinion at the time that the top 4 were good, because they were, well, good, and they showed this in Europe. 3 winners and a finalist in Champions League.

All of a sudden, three of the teams don't look like they're going to make it in the top 4, and the other is considered (by many) to be a disaster season.
Was a good post.

Around the end of the last decade there was an assumption the 'top 4' was set in stone for years to come. Liverpool fell off a cliff in 2010, Ferguson retired, Tottenham have had a couple of decent seasons, City got rich, Leicester happened.

Money will always dictate the state of play to a large degree and I don't think anybody would dispute it but there will always be evolution. In many ways it's why Wenger deserves a lot of respect, but at the same time he really should have been able to win a title given the consistent placing in and around the top.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm not going to look it up but I reckon 03/04 and then 05/06 through to 08/09?

As Grecian said though, they were all seriously good at the time. Arsenal in the CL final in 06, Liverpool 07, United beat Chelsea in 08 I think after Chelsea knocked Liverpool out in the semis, and Liverpool had beaten Arsenal in the previous round?

Was just an era of the three top clubs historically all being strong + the Chelsea millions.

Since then, Liverpool have only made the top four once, United have missed out once and a second time now seems likely, Chelsea have finished outside twice (though they won the CL in one of those).

I think in sports, things like that always seem like they'll last forever, but they never do.

grecian

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think in sports, things like that always seem like they'll last forever, but they never do.
Yeah completely. It's the incredible thing about Leicester being 5000/1 to win the title. Like, that's how much the entire footballing world bought into the idea that the current "elite" clubs were in a permanent, unassailable position. It hadn't really been the case for any of the league's 130 year history, but we all thought this time was different.

grecian

The one thing I will say for the EPPP is that at least the club does get something if they don't sign a pro-contract. I mean we've got a reasonable amount for Goss at United, which is in direct contrast with when Peter Fox's son went to Manure when we got **** all. We will also make something from Ampadu.

Yet, yes the money, to keep it going is pretty prohibitive, even if you do get it matched.

I mean, think we've done okay out of it, so I'm probably one of the few fans. Especially now we've picked up Yeovil's and Torquays best players.