• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Yet Another SL Captain

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Mathews removed as ODI captain, Chandimal takes over - ESPNcricinfo

Inevitable considering the performance in the Asia cup..Probably the right decision for Mathews now who will have to work on his fitness and skills to keep a place. Personally I would have liked to see Dickwella given the ODI captaincy and a young team built around him- we are getting whupped anyway so surely we can only gain by youngsters gaining experience?
Having said that, nothing will change unless we get rid of the politicians who stick their beaks into the game constantly in SL..Its time that players were picked on their ability rather than who they know or what school they went to..

Last edited:

Himannv

International Coach
Having said that, nothing will change unless we get rid of the politicians who stick their beaks into the game constantly in SL..Its time that players were picked on their ability rather than who they know or what school they went to..
Agree completely with this sentiment. This sort of thing has been happening for ages now so it's not a quick fix.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think they should do the captaincy on a match-by-match rotational basis. Or pull names out of a hat. Or decide with a round of scissors-paper-rock.

srbhkshk

International Captain
I think they should do the captaincy on a match-by-match rotational basis. Or pull names out of a hat. Or decide with a round of scissors-paper-rock.
Should decide on basis of how close the Body's shape is to a perfect sphere imo.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Dickwella? Lol noway.

Chandimal is a horrible limited overs bat.

It's not like others are any good anyway
who would you suggest then mate? The reason I said Dickwella is simply that he plays with guts and I think we need much more of that..As far as I can remember we never had a wealth of talent but as a side we always had backbone and never stepped back. For me, I miss that in our team now.

Personally I don't think chandimal is that bad in odi's-he is an accumulator but at least we would have one in the batting line up.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Get caught ball tampering for SL - be made captain
Happen to be in team that gets caught ball tampering for Aus - banned for year and stripped of captaincy

YorksLanka

International Debutant
you've got a point..thats another reason why I hoped that Dickewella would get the shorter form captaincy..welcome to the wonderful world of SLC..

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
who would you suggest then mate? The reason I said Dickwella is simply that he plays with guts and I think we need much more of that..As far as I can remember we never had a wealth of talent but as a side we always had backbone and never stepped back. For me, I miss that in our team now.

Personally I don't think chandimal is that bad in odi's-he is an accumulator but at least we would have one in the batting line up.
Dickwella is a complete ignorant fool. Has no idea regarding the match situation and wreaks havoc as if he's having the need to poop quickly every time he comes to batting.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Matthews was never a great captain, very reactionary, quick on the defence, was lucky to lead a solid team during the back end of Sanga and MJ's careers in 2013-15 where we had a bit of success. The captaincy of the SL in all forms seems to just fall on whichever experienced player is flavour of the month, Tharanga, Herath, Thisara Perera and Lakmal have led the side (in different formats) in recent memory among others, not your typical candidates for captaincy.

However it speaks to a more worrying trend of leadership crisis across SL cricket, we've also had a ridiculous amount of head coaches in the last 5 years, and I can't really think of any players (perhaps Kusal Mendis - who captained the u19s back in the day) who could be developed into good leaders going forward.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
I can see Kusal Mendis as a future captain but I don't think he is ready yet as to me he seems to still trying to find his ideal game..As we all know here, the issue isn't with the captaincy but with the unnecessary meddling that comes from politicians and the corruption of our board..

Borges

International Regular
I quite like the idea of captain Dickwella.
Subject to the proviso that he is firmly told that any decision regarding DRS would not be in his hands; that he is not even allowed to express an opinion about it.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
And lets not let this distract us from the fact that the SL ODI team is about the 12th best in the world right now - and that's being pretty generous, the ODI team is in absolute crisis right now, unbelievable turn-around from the 1996-2014 era where SL was a consistent ODI unit that punched above its weight regularly

Bijed

International Regular
And lets not let this distract us from the fact that the SL ODI team is about the 12th best in the world right now - and that's being pretty generous, the ODI team is in absolute crisis right now, unbelievable turn-around from the 1996-2014 era where SL was a consistent ODI unit that punched above its weight regularly
Tbf, with Mathews and some of the others in this team, they'd have to punch pretty bloody hard to acheive this

slippy888

International Captain
Angelo Matthews dropped from one day team

Is the end of Sri Lanka greatest cricketer likely it tough for him to deal with this blow.