• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Would you face Brett Lee?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd face him, and the two pieces of equipment I should like are box and Chieftain tank, please.

I faced Harold Rhodes (England's fastest bowler between the days of Frank Tyson and John Snow) - and this was right at the end of his career. He ambled up to the nets, turned his arm over and before I got my bat down, the ball was past me. He was quick, but that one ball I faced was nothing compared to what Brett Lee could send down.

There's one way I would be prepared to face Lee though - if he bowls with a remote-controlled screw-thread lidded jar containing a hornet in his underpants - and I've got the remote.

All I'd need to say is "Now, we're not going to hurt each other, are we Brett?". Yes, I'd face him under those circumstances if he's not to buzzzzzzy.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
DanielFullard said:
Book him for Diving! He's obviously time wasting...Wheres Uriah Rennie when you need him? Come to think about.....is he the one lying down
Good old Uriah - I'm sure he'd bring a yellow and red card with him if he ever umpired a cricket match. :laugh:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I would not do it.
Reasons
- Only 2 bits of equipment. I would want gloves and pads and therefore could not have a box or lid.
- There is nothing to play for, apart from saying I faced Lee, and that is not worth risking my health for
- Got 1 kid and a second on the way so Im sure the wife would not let me
- $1000 is nothing compared to a shattered hand or requireing reconstructive groinal surgery.

Now if it were in a game where there was a purpose to the exercise and wearing the 4 bits of kit I mentioned above it would be a great thrill. I would get into line and give it my all.

To face 6 balls *****ing myself and backing away for no real sporting reason...well the risk far outweighs the reward.

On second thoughts it could be fun though :)

adharcric

International Coach
Unless he felt extraordinarily generous and decided to bowl an off-stump to try to induce an edge ... the majority of us would either get hit in the head and not live to tell the story of facing him, get hit in the groin and not have any kids to tell the story to, or get hit somewhere else and be severely paralyzed and unable to tell the story out of helplessness.
Well, I still might consider it.

Blaze

Banned
Backing away from your stumps isn't facing him...

There is no way that I would do this if you actually had to stand your ground and attempt to protect your wicket btw. I have faced a bowling machine with those yellow practice balls at 90 mph and it is just stupidly quick. With only two pieces of protective equipment it would just be stupid... and I doubt most people here would actually do it.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
I'd probably take a Box and pads.

Without a helmet, mr Pain will surely bowl bouncer after bouncer at me, then one in the groinal region just to shake things up.

Sure, I may walk away with a few less brain cells, but for $1000, I'd do it.

BTW, I had a bet with a couple of mates a few months ago, where they'd give me 50$ to face 6 balls off a bowling machine at 90 MPH, with only 1 piece of protective gear plus my bat. they were those yellow practice balls, but it was rudiculous. Imagine Chris Martin facing Dennis Lillee, except that Lillee is in his pomp and Chris Martin is 70 years old, and you should see what happened.

Got 50$ though, and a few bruises on my shins. My god, a real cricket ball would've shattered them!

Groinal!

Last edited:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Floppy hat and an arm guard would do me.

Particularly as I'm directly descended from Robocop.

sideshowtim

Banned
Dizzy #4 said:
Helmat and Box, 160 isn't that fast when you play Tennis and Squash! My shins can surive
Yes, but getting hit by a cricket ball at 160 is still more painful than getting hit by a tennis ball at say, 200.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd choose a forearm guard and a box...

*The box would have to be a shipping crate though and the forearm guard is for the arm hanging out of the hole specially drilled in the crate so I can wave the bat around in a vain attempt to hit something.

* The crate would be stamped with the word "Groinal", just to taunt him.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
BlackCap_Fan said:
I'd probably take a Box and pads.

Without a helmet, mr Pain will surely bowl bouncer after bouncer at me, then one in the groinal region just to shake things up.

Sure, I may walk away with a few less brain cells, but for $1000, I'd do it.

BTW, I had a bet with a couple of mates a few months ago, where they'd give me 50$ to face 6 balls off a bowling machine at 90 MPH, with only 1 piece of protective gear plus my bat. they were those yellow practice balls, but it was rudiculous. Imagine Chris Martin facing Dennis Lillee, except that Lillee is in his pomp and Chris Martin is 70 years old, and you should see what happened.

Got 50$ though, and a few bruises on my shins. My god, a real cricket ball would've shattered them!

Groinal!
Well... what'd you choose?

sideshowtim

Banned
Was that the Kenyan bloke who got a Brett Lee ripper smash into his elbow then onto the stumps? Ouch. What makes it even worse for Kenya is that Lee got a hat-trick 2 balls later!

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
My brother is a park cricketer and a journalist for news limited. When Brett Lee first hit the international scene he contacted Binger and said he wanted to do an article on what it was like to face him and suggested he face up to him and then write an article about it. Bing agreed and they had a net at the SCG indoor centre on the quickest of the nets.

Bing wasn't holding back because he wanted some good publicity and the first ball hit him flush in the chest and put him on the deck.....but he batted on. He followed it up with a waist high full toss which was fortunately off line but nailed him on a few more occasions. A couple hit the bat too.

He said he was sharp. I wouldn't have done it...and I'm a better cricketer than he is.

Right arm fast

State Vice-Captain
i wouldn't on pulp sport one of the guys faced the auckland bowling attack with half a bat and some undies. personally i would be to sissy but it would be a great experience if i had to i would wear pads and a lid

sideshowtim

Banned
Right arm fast said:
i wouldn't on pulp sport one of the guys faced the auckland bowling attack with half a bat and some undies. personally i would be to sissy but it would be a great experience if i had to i would wear pads and a lid
:laugh: Crazy Kiwis.