• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst regular batsman for a top side

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
No one, no one beats Chamara Kapugedara. Oh may be some competition from Jehan Mubarak and Md. Ashraful. The thing is SL was there and there abouts in top five during time of these two.

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Worst Player From Every Team XI

Joe Burns (Aus)
Keaton Jennings (Eng)
Devon Smith (WI)
Gunathilaka/Udawatte (SL)
Henry Nicholls (NZ)
Hardik Pandya (Ind)
Shadab Khab (Pak)
Afsar Zazai + (Afg)
Rubel Hossain (Ban)
Tyrone Kane (Ire)
Chris Mpofu (Zim)

12 Test teams and only 11 players so I left Bavuma out since I believe he's the best out of each country's worst.
Gunathilaka is decent. Even has an ODI century, Kapugedara / Mubarak would take their place. Udawatta only played two tests. Next time he plays in India on a dustbowl, may score a century. Pretty good player of spin on **** wickets.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Lahiru Thirimanne is a good shout, he played alongside the likes of Sanga, Mahela, Dilshan, Matthews and Chandimal during his early test career.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I know he isn't the worst but Sehwag is the worst batsman to get that many runs and to be regarded that highly.

vcs

I know he isn't the worst but Sehwag is the worst batsman to get that many runs and to be regarded that highly.
The thing with Sehwag is he could look totally village w.r.t what the textbook says is the correct way for an opener to play, in terms of technique, defence etc. So he looks awful swinging without moving his feet and nicking off in the first over at Durban to Steyn, or Trent Bridge to Stuart Broad or whatever.

But then he also did things no other "traditional" opener did, and he averaged close to 50 doing it, and gave our average bowling attack so much time to bowl opposition out on Asian wickets when we first made it to No. 1, so I don't think he should be judged by the textbook.

trundler

I think every top class bowler at the time managed to make him look a ****ing idiot. He was great against spin at home but did almost nothing of note against top class bowling away. What especially annoys me is how some think he was revolutionary. Definitely flattered by the average.

vcs

Sehwag is probably the best player of spin bowling I've seen apart from Lara.
He made runs in Australia also and smacked Steyn and co. around at home. Definitely troubled by lateral movement and he started declining sharply after 2011.

cnerd123

likes this
I think every top class bowler at the time managed to make him look a ****ing idiot. He was great against spin at home but did almost nothing of note against top class bowling away. What especially annoys me is how some think he was revolutionary. Definitely flattered by the average.
Worse that the chai post this

TheJediBrah

No one, no one beats Chamara Kapugedara. Oh may be some competition from Jehan Mubarak and Md. Ashraful. The thing is SL was there and there abouts in top five during time of these two.
you forgot Michael Vandort

that 40 (110) chasing 300 was the stuff on legends

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
In ICC 2015 I've had Josh Cobb play ~100 Tests for an average of 22. Currently replicating it in ICC 2017 and he's averaging 16 so far.

So, virtual Josh Cobb wins this thread.

Flem274*

123/5
Forgot about Thirimanne. I remember people defending him in tour threads a couple of years ago. He's terrible.

morgieb

Forgot about Thirimanne. I remember people defending him in tour threads a couple of years ago. He's terrible.
I remember seeing him bat in the Sydney Test they played over here a few years ago and thought he had something. Was basically just a one-off fluke though.