• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst regular batsman for a top side

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Nuwan Zoysa. Now there's a name I haven't heard in ages. Used to love his name, fun bowler to watch too.
Lives like an idiot these days. Absolutely no educational back ground, and coaching 3rd grade clubs and schools. It's shocking to see how he failed to convert his abilities in to money making more.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Time for a little Hamish Rutherford.

Having followed in his father's footsteps in the NZC team, during a period of renaissance for NZC - Hamish made a magnificent century vs England on debut.

That lead him to play 15 more tests: and the numbers are compelling.

16 tests: 1 century, 1 50; average 26.96

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo

NZ won 6 tests and lost only 3 tests during his career. A fine servant to NZC averaging a whopping 20 in wins.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Time for a little Hamish Rutherford.

Having followed in his father's footsteps in the NZC team, during a period of renaissance for NZC - Hamish made a magnificent century vs England on debut.

That lead him to play 15 more tests: and the numbers are compelling.

16 tests: 1 century, 1 50; average 26.96
Actually not that bad for a NZ opening batsman. Form a proud line of mid-20s averaging openers. Horne, Bell, How, McIntosh, Spearman, Cumming, Papps, Redmond

Papps actually averaged 16, only over 8 Tests though

Shows how special Mark Richardson was, averaging 44 as an opener for NZ

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Actually not that bad for a NZ opening batsman. Form a proud line of mid-20s averaging openers. Horne, Bell, How, McIntosh, Spearman, Cumming, Papps, Redmond

Papps actually averaged 16, only over 8 Tests though

Shows how special Mark Richardson was, averaging 44 as an opener for NZ
How's Burns, Bancroft, and Maddinson treating you guys? Ed Cowan must due a recall at 31.18 :P

Latham and Raval would fancy their chances of making the Aussie team if eligible. ;)

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How's Burns, Bancroft, and Maddinson treating you guys? Ed Cowan must due a recall at 31.18 :P

Latham and Raval would fancy their chances of making the Aussie team if eligible. ;)
Bancroft has a promising future. Impressively ethical and principled young man

Maddinson will hopefully go away forever

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Vic Richardson is another good one. Averaged 23 from 19 tests in various sides that contained such batting talent as Macartney, Ponsford, Woodfull, McCabe and of course, Bradman.

mr_mister

and Gus Logie played 50 odd tests during Windies peak dominance in the 80s for a medicore average of 35

all 3 of Vic Richardson, Jonty and Logie were known as amazing fielders. I'm seeing a trend here

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
In ICC 2015 I've had Josh Cobb play ~100 Tests for an average of 22. Currently replicating it in ICC 2017 and he's averaging 16 so far.

So, virtual Josh Cobb wins this thread.
Update on this now available in the ICC thread, ftr.

Spoilers: he probably doesn't quite win this thread any more.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
and Gus Logie played 50 odd tests during Windies peak dominance in the 80s for a medicore average of 35

all 3 of Vic Richardson, Jonty and Logie were known as amazing fielders. I'm seeing a trend here
Logie was the batsman who played spin best in the side I think. That may have been the reason for extended run.

fredfertang

Logie was the batsman who played spin best in the side I think. That may have been the reason for extended run.
Bloody Logie - he may not have made that many runs, but he always seemed to get them in adversity - he was the destroyer of hope!