• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst players of spin bowling?

Craig

World Traveller
Not just current, but some former players can count as well. I'll put forward Shane Warne's bitch Daryll Cullinan.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
Chris Martin x 2
Danny Morrison
Simon Doull, good god we've had some pretty awful 11s as well as batsmen.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Don't reckon big Jake's all that hot against the spinners. Can hit a long ball, but doesn't have the nuances that the good players of it do.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
- Yuvraj Singh
- Brad Hodge (he hasn't really convinced me, TBH)
- Greg Blewett
- Robin Smith
- Andrew Strauss (although his record in India isn't bad)
- Justin Kemp
...these are the more notable ones to me

As for Cullinan, he was poor against Australia, not poor against spin per se. He did well against everyone else, bar Pakistan and Zimbabwe. His average in Asia, too, is respectable, if not great.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Not just current, but some former players can count as well. I'll put forward Shane Warne's bitch Daryll Cullinan.
Cullinan was a pretty decent player of any other spinner than Warne. His record in Sri Lanka and India was more than ok.

Anyhow, to answer the question… Martin van Jaarsveld, VB van Jaarsveld, Jacob Oram, Brendan Taylor and Robin Smith are a few players who come to mind.

Craig

World Traveller
For people from the sub continent I always thought Pakistani batsmen were poorer players of spin then say India or even Sri Lanka traditionally. I'm no expert but I guess Indian pitches would take more spin then the Pakistani ones or at least how I've always viewed it. I could be wrong though.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Andrew Flintoff...he could certainly hit it a mile and made some average (and occasionally very good) spinners look silly. But his footwork, technique and ability to read the variations seemed really poor to me. And he didnt really appear to have a plan besides hitting it out of the park.

iamdavid

International Debutant
I know he's not a batsman but Brett Lee....atleast in comparison to how well he handles the seamers. Against the quicker men he is as I'm sure everybody has noticed very capable with a sound temperament and defensive game and a suprisingly wide range of shots..plus he hits it very hard.

Take the pace off the ball and he's in McGraths league.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Robin Smith was the first name I thought of. If not the worst player of spin his was probably the biggest difference between proficiency at facing seam & proficiency at facing spin.

Alec Stewart wasn't too flash either, but did get better as he went on in his career.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
^Yeah, my thoughts exactly TBH. The worst players of spin as a rule tend to be the worst players of anything, like Chris Martin and Devon Malcolm. It's the gap between ability against seam and spin that's the issue methinks Craig is on about.

And pretty much everyone I'd mention has been mentioned, really... :unsure:

Laurrz

International Debutant
I know he's not a batsman but Brett Lee....atleast in comparison to how well he handles the seamers. Against the quicker men he is as I'm sure everybody has noticed very capable with a sound temperament and defensive game and a suprisingly wide range of shots..plus he hits it very hard.

Take the pace off the ball and he's in McGraths league.
cant disagree..

a concern for Australia perhaps in India? ( i know hes not a batsman but #8 is an extremely crucial position)

bond21

Banned
Brett Lee is a better batsman than Warne was.

Problem is 9 10 and 11, all of them are interchangeable no 11s. Not that it matters because theyre 3 of the 4 best bowlers in Australia

iamdavid

International Debutant
Brett Lee is a better batsman than Warne was.

Problem is 9 10 and 11, all of them are interchangeable no 11s. Not that it matters because theyre 3 of the 4 best bowlers in Australia
Huh...which 9, 10, 11 ?

Assuming the tail is Lee, Johnson, Clark, Macgill.

Lee is pretty handy...about Warne's ability with a knack of batting well under pressure.
Johnson is only very slightly less handy than Lee.
Clark is a better batsman than his test and FC figures suggest, his concentration often seems to let him down but he actually has some very nice looking shots and a pretty reasonable technique.
MacGill is a number 11, no Chris Martin mind you, but thats certainly where he belongs...