• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst players of spin bowling?

deeps

International 12th Man
ok walsh and martin were crap against any bowling, so i don't think they were particularly bad at spin alone...

i think the thread was meant to ask who was significantly worse aagainst spin over pace

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My impressions of Graeme Hick against spin were forever coloured when I saw how much of a mess Mushie made of him the 1992 WC. Since then, he only did slightly better at international level.

Robin Smith, for sure. Shane Watson is a bit dodgy against spin with his carbon-fibre technique and m'thinks Phil Jaques isn't real comfortable against spin either.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Me with a career average of 4 runs of 20 odd deliveries against a school teacher bowling harmless long hops

sideshowtim

Banned
Brett Lee is a better batsman than Warne was.

Problem is 9 10 and 11, all of them are interchangeable no 11s. Not that it matters because theyre 3 of the 4 best bowlers in Australia
What's wrong with Johnson's batting? Averages 28.45 in First-class cricket...A very decent average for a bowler in the Pura Cup. Clark's batting has improved out of sight recently too. Can hit some shots that make him look like a batsman...Needs to know when to cool his jets though. Often goes McCullum and plays the dumb, big shots when not needed. And MacGill...won't get many runs but has shown he can stick around under pressure in state cricket. He looks like dirt when he tries to score runs though.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
For people from the sub continent I always thought Pakistani batsmen were poorer players of spin then say India or even Sri Lanka traditionally. I'm no expert but I guess Indian pitches would take more spin then the Pakistani ones or at least how I've always viewed it. I could be wrong though.
I thought the effect of not playing India or plaing in India has had an effect. Before that period where no cricket was played head-to-head bw India and Pakistan, pakistanis were good players of spin. It shows in figures of the Indian spinners lke Bedi, Chandra or Venkat. After that period Pakistanis became poorer and poorer in spin play.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Robin Smith was the first name I thought of. If not the worst player of spin his was probably the biggest difference between proficiency at facing seam & proficiency at facing spin.

Alec Stewart wasn't too flash either, but did get better as he went on in his career.
How about Ricardo Powell?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Indeed, not even close.

Ricardo Powell is quite the worst batsman I've ever seen play 100 ODIs, and one of the worst I've seen play even a single Test.

Craig

World Traveller
ok walsh and martin were crap against any bowling, so i don't think they were particularly bad at spin alone...

i think the thread was meant to ask who was significantly worse aagainst spin over pace
If people can't work that out for themselves then are struggling. Hey I have some prime swamp land real estate they might be interested in.

Craig

World Traveller
I thought the effect of not playing India or plaing in India has had an effect. Before that period where no cricket was played head-to-head bw India and Pakistan, pakistanis were good players of spin. It shows in figures of the Indian spinners lke Bedi, Chandra or Venkat. After that period Pakistanis became poorer and poorer in spin play.
Sorry I meant more present day (90's onwards) Pakistani batsmen. Of course I can't commentabout how well they played against Venkat or Bedi since I wasn't born then.

He hoped that when he toured India. Warne was Sidhu's bitch whenever they faced up.
How many spinners in India have no been made to look second rate? And I mean non sub-continent spinners (ie English, Australian etc).

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How many spinners in India have no been made to look second rate? And I mean non sub-continent spinners (ie English, Australian etc).
I remember having a look at this a while back and indeed, most foreign spinners have barely taken a wicket in India in the last 40 years. That said, Sidhu belted everyone that series. I watched most of it and it was glorious watching how he took to all of the bowlers. Best example I've ever seen of an opener taking on the opposition all by himself to make it easier for all who followed. Shame he didn't get a ton that series because he deserved at least one. That Azhar and Sachin were able to dominate that series was due in no small part to the great starts they were given.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
For an Indian batsman, Yuvraj Singh is pretty bad against spin. I was surprised he made it to the national team in India with his ability against spin.