• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Rankings 'Red' vs 'Blue'

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Trying to think of a novel way of coming up with random Best XIs to vs each other in some totally unrealistic scenario that could be fair and balanced in some way.

Using the team world rankings as a guide, the challenge is to make a team from nations in a certain ranking position. So Team Red is made up from sides ranked 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 for instance, and then B from 2, 4, 6, 8, 10. But given Blue is slightly handicapped with starting with second best side, perhaps they should be 2, 4, 6, 8, 9 and team A is 1, 3, 5, 7, 10. This may be flawed so I'm open to suggestions. Basically would like this thread to be an inventive way to line up two XIs to play each other which could be balanced and not Incredibly Strong World First XI plays Lesser 2nd XI. Using the rankings system, who can be in which team could continuously change, strengthening one side and weakening the other, bringing them closer together - or further apart.

That said, the current Team Red would be made up from players from India, Australia, South Africa, New Zealand and Zimbabwe. Team Blue is Pakistan, England, Sri Lanka, West Indies and Bangladesh. Team Blue automatically looks weaker :ph34r: Having at least 1 player from each nation could make it a bit more interesting, rather than stacking it with guns from just a select few.

Anyway having a quick go:

Red XI:
1. D Warner
2. M Vijay
3. K Williamson
4. S Smith
5. V Kohli
6. C Ervine/H Masakadza
7. BJ Watling+
8. R Ashwin
9. M Starc
10. D Steyn
11. J Hazlewood

Blue XI
1. A Cook
2. T Iqbal
3. J Root
4. Y Khan
5. D Bravo
6. J Bairstow+
7. B Stokes
8. R Herath
9. S Broad
10. Y Shah
11. J Anderson

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I always want to know the venue when contemplating hypothetical match-ups. Asian vs, the rest of the world in India would be a good series atm, even if Asia would be favourites What current XIs would you choose for that series?

If it was played outside the SC, somewhere like England, It would be better if it was a Northern vs Southern hemisphere match-up. Otherwise the Rest of the world would destroy them. What would your XIs be for that series?

Zinzan

On second thoughts, if Asia played all 4 spinners Ashwin, Shah, Herath & Jadeja on an Indian turner, they'd wipe the floor with the rest of the world. Even playing 3 of them tbf.

listento_me

U19 Captain
I always want to know the venue when contemplating hypothetical match-ups. Asian vs, the rest of the world in India would be a good series atm, even if Asia would be favourites What current XIs would you choose for that series?

If it was played outside the SC, somewhere like England, It would be better if it was a Northern vs Southern hemisphere match-up. Otherwise the Rest of the world would destroy them. What would your XIs be for that series?
Wouldn't the Northern hemisphere be too strong? What with Eng, Pak, Ind all getting a shout, I think Bangladesh too. The southern hemisphere is SA, Aus and NZ.

I/d pick players from the former group any day of the week.

In terms of OP, switch SL with one of SA or Aus and you have a pretty even side.

listento_me

U19 Captain

Wouldn't the Northern hemisphere be too strong? What with Eng, Pak, Ind all getting a shout, I think Bangladesh too. The southern hemisphere is SA, Aus and NZ.

I/d pick players from the former group any day of the week.

In terms of OP, switch SL with one of SA or Aus and you have a pretty even side.

TheJediBrah

On second thoughts, if Asia played all 4 spinners Ashwin, Shah, Herath & Jadeja on an Indian turner, they'd wipe the floor with the rest of the world. Even playing 3 of them tbf.
Yeah I Asia v ROW would be an absolute thrashing. Which team does the thrashing dependent entirely on where it is played . . .

Zinzan

IDK mate, I did specify the series was in English conditions & this aint a bad lineup for those decks.

Warner
Amla
Williamson
Smith
AB de Villiers
de Kock +
Starc
Philander/Rabada
Steyn
Lyon
Boult

Zinzan

So in English conditions, It'd be pretty even wouldn't it?

NH

Cook
Vijay
Root
Kohli
Younis
Stokes
Bairstow+
Woakes
Broad
Shah
Anderson

Vs...

SH

Warner
Amla
Williamson
Smith
AB de Villiers
de Kock +
Starc
Philander/Rabada
Steyn
Lyon
Boult

Julian87

State Captain
Just on the OP's side..... Williams may have only played 4 tests but I think he's pretty obviously the best bat in any Zimbabwean side trotted out since Taylor moved on.

listento_me

U19 Captain
IDK mate, I did specify the series was in English conditions & this aint a bad lineup for those decks.

Warner
Amla
Williamson
Smith
AB de Villiers
de Kock +
Starc
Philander/Rabada
Steyn
Lyon
Boult
Aaaah English conditions.

Then again, northern hemisphere would have Cook, Root, Misbah, Khan, Kohli, Bairstow/Ali (??). The bowling might not be as good though.

listento_me

U19 Captain
So in English conditions, It'd be pretty even wouldn't it?

NH

Cook
Vijay
Root
Kohli
Younis
Stokes
Bairstow+
Woakes
Broad
Shah
Anderson

Vs...

SH

Warner
Amla
Williamson
Smith
AB de Villiers
de Kock +
Starc
Philander/Rabada
Steyn
Lyon
Boult
Looking at that NH team, surely Srfraz over Bairstow and some space for Misbah, who I'd also have as captain. By some margin the best test captain in world cricket over the last 4-5 years. I'd probably look to make room for Ashwin too (bowling isn't great outside India but his batting is good enough for no. 8 or 9).

SH team, not sure if Lyon is worth it imo. I dunno what's happening with Tahir's test career but I'd pick him over Lyon. Just has that "it" which Lyon doesn't. His numbers might not stack up but the fact he has done very well in first class cricket might mean he deserves a shout again.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
So Tahir, who doesn't have enough 'it' to get anywhere near the SA side is good enough to be first pick for the whole Southern Hemisphere?

You don't half post a load of ****e.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Red XI:
1. D Warner
2. M Vijay
3. K Williamson
4. S Smith
5. V Kohli
6. C Ervine/H Masakadza
7. BJ Watling+
8. R Ashwin
9. M Starc
10. D Steyn
11. J Hazlewood

Blue XI
1. A Cook
2. T Iqbal
3. J Root
4. Y Khan
5. D Bravo
6. J Bairstow+
7. B Stokes
8. R Herath
9. S Broad
10. Y Shah
11. J Anderson
Would probably just about have de Kock as keeper in Red. Would also go for Pattinson ahead of Haze, assuming the former is fit.

In Blue would take Misbah ahead of Bravo. Oh and with both teams, the make-up of the bowling lineups would shift depending on where the match takes place. Jadeja in for Pattinson in Asia, Riaz in for Herath outside of Asia.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah I Asia v ROW would be an absolute thrashing. Which team does the thrashing dependent entirely on where it is played . . .
If the series was in England would anyone from elsewhere displace anyone from the Pakistan attack that toured England?

Thinking particularly quicks; reckon Yasir is by far the best spin option for a series not being played in Asia.

NZTailender

1, 4, 5, 8, 10 vs 2, 3, 6, 7, 9?
India, England, South Africa, West Indies and Zimbabwe vs Pakistan, Australia, Sri Lanka, New Zealand and Bangladesh. Hmm.

This one was a lot harder, because the second group has some excellent spinners in Shah and Herath, but no real seaming all-rounder of class to be a third seamer; and then you have Shakib!

Red XI
1. M Vijay
2. A Cook
3. J Root
4. H Amla/V Kohli
5. D Bravo
6. S Williams (for Julian87)
7. J Bairstow/AB de Villiers+
8. R Ashwin
9. S Broad
10. D Steyn
11. J Anderson

vs

Blue XI
1. D Warner
2. T Iqbal
3. K Williamson
4. S Smith
5. Y Khan
6. BJ Watling+
7. M Starc
8. R Herath
9. N Wagner
10. Y Shah
11. J Hazlewood

or you could have

1. D Warner
2. T Iqbal
3. K Williamson
4. S Smith
5. Y Khan
6. A Mathews
7. BJ Watling+
8. M Starc
9. R Herath
10. N Wagner/J Hazlewood
11. Y Shah

AB taking the gloves would be h4x. Having to include a WIndies and Zim player makes this exercise rather difficult, especially since their bowlers haven't been up to much chuff in the last two years compared to the other nations. They have a stronger attack than Blue though, so less need for an all-rounder as 5th option imo.

NZTailender

Would probably just about have de Kock as keeper in Red. Would also go for Pattinson ahead of Haze, assuming the former is fit.

In Blue would take Misbah ahead of Bravo. Oh and with both teams, the make-up of the bowling lineups would shift depending on where the match takes place. Jadeja in for Pattinson in Asia, Riaz in for Herath outside of Asia.
For those picks I mostly went on who has played a fair bit in the last two years and the performances in that time frame. Hazlewood has played more than Pattison and has a good record and is a good bowler. Pattinson's lack of game time the thing counting against him.

de Kock is exciting but Bairstow has played more and has an excellent record as mentioned, but it wouldn't be the worst swap in the world.

edit: re: Bravo, my challenge was to have 1 player from each nation in each team.

Last edited:

listento_me

U19 Captain
So Tahir, who doesn't have enough 'it' to get anywhere near the SA side is good enough to be first pick for the whole Southern Hemisphere?

You don't half post a load of ****e.
Tahir has certainly shown he is one of the better spinners in SA for ODI cricket and ofc, in first class he has been good enough to avg very, very good for a spinner from that part of the world. Or at least a spinner who plays his matches in that part of the world. There's something called the eye test, in boxing anyway, where you look at how good someone is by actually watching them. Tahir would be better than Lyon imo. That of course isn't saying much and the SH has some limited spin options.