• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

World Rankings 'Red' vs 'Blue'

listento_me

U19 Captain
Tahir is an abysmal Test spinner.
I dunno, shouldn't he get another shot based on him being better in ODIs and being very good in first class cricket because what else is supposed to lead to someone being picked? Plus what other spinner does SA really have? I know we've moved beyond picking a world XI but I'd rather go with a leggy than whatever Lyon is supposed to be.

Tbh, it's not that big a deal either way as neither guy is going to match Shah or Ashwin. I'm just saying, if I was picking a world XI, I'd want to keep my options open and when options for spin are so meager, I'd go with a leggy over an offy unless the off spinner is Swann or Ajmal quality.

Victor Ian

International Coach
I always want to know the venue when contemplating hypothetical match-ups. Asian vs, the rest of the world in India would be a good series atm, even if Asia would be favourites What current XIs would you choose for that series?

If it was played outside the SC, somewhere like England, It would be better if it was a Northern vs Southern hemisphere match-up. Otherwise the Rest of the world would destroy them. What would your XIs be for that series?
North of N10 v South of N10 might be fairer - that way we get SriLanka.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
So in English conditions, It'd be pretty even wouldn't it?

SH

Warner
Amla
Williamson
Smith
AB de Villiers
de Kock +
Starc
Philander/Rabada
Steyn
Lyon
Boult
That's a very long tail. Although his stats are unflattering, I'd pick Santner instead of Lyon. He would be more economical with the ball, is a great fieldsman and would bat 7 allowing the quicks to move down one. Also on form over the past 2 years and bowling style (workhorse instead of new ball bowler) I'd pick Wagner instead of Boult.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Blue ODI team

1. Shikar Dhawan
2. Alex Hales
3. Virat Kohli
4. Joe Root
5. Angelo Mathews
6. Jos Buttler
7. Ben Stokes
8. Ravi Ashwin
9. Rangana Herath
10. Dawlat Zadran/ Hamid Hassan
11. Jasprit Bumrah

Red ODI team

1. Chris Gayle
2. Lendl Simmonds
3. Dwayne Bravo
4. Marlon Samuels
5. Sean Williams
6. Brendon Taylor+
7. Andre Russell
8. Carlos Brathwaite
9. Luke Jongwe
10. Sunil Narine
11. Shannon Gabriel

Green ODI team

1. Quinton De Kock
2. Hashim Amla
3. Ed Joyce
4. Babar Azam
5. AB De Villiers
6. David Miller
7. Imad Wasim
8. Mohammed Amir
9. Kagiso Rabada
10. Mustafizur Rehman
11. Imran Tahir (c)

Last edited:

listento_me

U19 Captain
India, England, South Africa, West Indies and Zimbabwe vs Pakistan, Australia, Sri Lanka, New Zealand and Bangladesh. Hmm.

Team One (tests):
1. Cook c ENG
2. Gayle WI
3. Amla SA
4. Root ENG
5. Rahane (over Kohli) IND
6. De Kock wk SA
7. Stokes ENG (5)
8. Ashwin IND (4)
9. Broad ENG (3)
10. Anderson ENG (2)
11. Steyn SA (1)

Team Two (tests):
1. Warner AUS
2. Tamim BANG
3. Williamson NZ
4. Y. Khan PAK
5. Misbah c PAK
6. Shakib BANG (5)
7. S. Ahmed wk PAK
8. Starc AUS (2)
9. Boult NZ (1)
10. Amir Pak (3)
11. Shah PAK (4)

Smith has to sit out because I'd prefer Khan AND Misbah, with the latter being captain.

Both Zimb and SL are not and can not be represented in test sides.

Just looking at the two sides, it's a very well matched test collection, with the second team stronger in spin and the first team stronger in both seam and swing.

Athlai

Not Terrible
India, England, South Africa, West Indies and Zimbabwe vs Pakistan, Australia, Sri Lanka, New Zealand and Bangladesh. Hmm.

Team One (tests):
1. Cook c ENG
2. Gayle WI
3. Amla SA
4. Root ENG
6. De Kock wk SA
7. Stokes ENG (5)
8. Ashwin IND (4)
9. Broad ENG (3)
10. Anderson ENG (2)
11. Steyn SA (1)

Team Two (tests):
1. Warner AUS
2. Tamim BANG
3. Williamson NZ
4. Y. Khan PAK
5. Misbah c PAK
6. Shakib BANG (5)
7. S. Ahmed wk PAK
8. Starc AUS (2)
9. Boult NZ (1)
10. Amir Pak (3)
11. Shah PAK (4)

Smith has to sit out because I'd prefer Khan AND Misbah, with the latter being captain.

Just looking at the two sides, it's a very well matched test collection, with the second team stronger in spin and the first team stronger in both seam and swing.
Team two is the left arm master race?

Tom Flint

International Regular
Vijay
Warner
Williamson
Smith
Kohli
Ab
De kock +
Ashwin
Starc
Rabada
Steyn

Cook
Brathwaite
Root
Khan
Misbah
Stokes
Chandimal
Shakib
Yasir
Broad
Amir

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing

Team One (tests):
1. Cook c ENG
2. Gayle WI
3. Amla SA
4. Root ENG
6. De Kock wk SA
7. Stokes ENG (5)
8. Ashwin IND (4)
9. Broad ENG (3)
10. Anderson ENG (2)
11. Steyn SA (1)

Team Two (tests):
1. Warner AUS
2. Tamim BANG
3. Williamson NZ
4. Y. Khan PAK
5. Misbah c PAK
6. Shakib BANG (5)
7. S. Ahmed wk PAK
8. Starc AUS (2)
9. Boult NZ (1)
10. Amir Pak (3)
11. Shah PAK (4)

Pretty interesting stuff when the number 1 batsman in the world doesn't get a look in but a bloke who hasn't played in two years gets a gig.

listento_me

U19 Captain
Team two is the left arm master race?
haha I didn't even realise the number of left armers

Pretty interesting stuff when the number 1 batsman in the world doesn't get a look in but a bloke who hasn't played in two years gets a gig.
I wasn't picking the teams based on exactly who wasp laying at the moment, just the bust available crop of players.

Btw, if you think the test no. 1 batsman is Smith then I dunno what to say about that. Plus as I explained, I can't keep Misbah out of that team, considering he'd have to be captain and is one of the best middle order batsmen going. If Aus was on the other side then yeah, Smith probably gets a shout.

If Gayle decided to make a come back and the Windies selectors werent being dicks about it, he'd walk into the team.