• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

<<<World Club Cricket Herald>>>

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I thought wining game and titles was what it was about, i guess i most have been miss informed somewhere down the line.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
chaminda_00 said:
I thought wining game and titles was what it was about, i guess i most have been miss informed somewhere down the line.
haha people love trading, it is really good fun, but its great to win but not essential...

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Division 5 - Round 1 - Four Day Preview

The long awaited start to the four day competition of season six of World Club Cricket gets underway this weekend and the anticipation among the division five sides is evident. Leicestershire replace Auckland in an otherwise unchanged division five from the previous season. In round one we see Free State hosting Mashonaland, Guyana hosting Jamaica in the annual local derby and Leicestershire host Northern Districts.

The first of the games to be previewed is Free State against Mashonaland. Free State's four day side has improved immensly since manager Dave Watt replaced Neil Pickup, always known for their one day prowess this should be the season Free State make a serious challenge for the Division Five Four Day title. Mashonaland had a disapointing year last year, and they will rely heavily on their experienced stars of Mushtaq, Ramanayake and Arnold to help the other inexperienced players through a very long season. Free State have an impressive, but rather inexperienced side, however they have match winners, who are important for any side in WCC. The tip is for Free State, however we've seen teams expected to win, fall over in the first round, and that is not beyond Free State. This will be the most competitive game of the round for division five.

If WCC matches were played on paper Guyana would win every game in division five this season, but unfortunately for Guyana the game is played on the field and Guyana have showed time and time again that when it comes to converting their potential to performance they are the worst side in the competition. Jamaica have always been their bogey side, and they will be a tough match up for the Guyana side in the first round. If Jenkins and Jayawardne can reproduce their form of last season and rookie Vernon and new recruit Lewis can score heavily Guyana will be tough to bowl out, but Guyana's problems last season was not being able to bowl sides out. This is where they will be hoping new recruit Satti and the spin pairing of Zulch & former Auckland player London will help. The tip again if for the home side, but you are never sure when you tip Guyana.

Leicestershire should have too much muscle for Northern Districts. Northern Districts made good use of their first round draft pick in picking up A Holland, however they do not have enough depth to make a serious challenge for the title or promotion. Leicestershire have a very nice mix of batsman and bowlers that should make them favourites for the title and they should return to division four for season seven. Northern Districs will ruin seasons like they did last season with a few upsets, but they will not be in the running come the business end of the season.

The tips for this round are all the home teams; Free State, Guyana and Leciestershire, and these should be the sides that are pushing and shoving for promotion come the end of the season.

Simon

chaminda_00 said:
Just a thought you could add the Season Previews by Stats also in the Fresh News section.
they arent really fresh so i wont add them, maybe at a later date...

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Think we may have to bring in an anti tampering deadline ala the NRL.....

Could see half the competitions managers suspended....

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
good luck in trying that. considering u've got cloete and me on the board... we'd never let it pass. not over our dead bodies ;)

Slats4ever

Angry Markus tells Journalist where to Put it

An article published on the 4th of May by journalist of the Fresh News Simon Fitzsimmons labelled the Western Province top order as being fragile. Whilst Fitzsimmon rated Rabbi Llewellyn amongst the top 5 WCC batsman of all time Province manager Markus felt to rate his top order fragile wasn't warranted and feels it may come back to bite Fitzsimmon and his SA side in the future.

"Does Simon understand that Funston won 4d player of the year last year, or that Birch's pre season form saw him averaging well above 80, or that Ghambir and Anderson have in years gone by been the main batting force for their respective teams". It is clear that Slats rates his top order highly and he went on to say "Simon may well regret saying that in seasons to come when my Province side will match up against him over the next few seasons". However to be honest the Province batting line up lacks depth should an injury crisis hit with no more batsman averaging above 46 in the squad. The Province coaching staff will have their fingers crossed that they can maintain their golden run of non-injuries from seasons gone by.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Well considering Simon, myself, marc, Jason and Bugs dont really get into the trading until it opens i dont think we'd have a problem.....

Cloete

International Captain
Blewy said:
Well considering Simon, myself, marc, Jason and Bugs dont really get into the trading until it opens i dont think we'd have a problem.....
Which Simon are you talking?

I don't even know who I'm going after yet, the only thoguht I've given to trading is the fact that my rookies are crap so I'll only get to keep 10 players which should be interesting. Besides, I don't start trading until at least round 7 or 8. I just do alot of it when it does open ;)

Anyway I would actually vote for an anti-tampering law, think it's a good idea.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
How many simons are there??

Well Ian looks like you'd be the only one against it... :P

Cloete

International Captain
Blewy said:
How many simons are there??

Well Ian looks like you'd be the only one against it... :P
I was being sarcastic. Saying that you were obviously confusing Simon with someone else, as he also starts trading early. ;)

Slats4ever

there's nothing wrong with doing it in my opinion. you can't stop speculation and talk... it just wouldn't happen! Seeing that throughout the season there isn't much to do other than playing games in WCC trading's always important to talk and think about!

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
No the problem is that trading always takes over the focus and the games fade away...

Anyway we can limit or stop this is only beneficial...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Blewy said:
That'd be a majority there :D

Simon

id be 50/50 on it, i wouldnt worry me personally i just think we would have a problem enforcing it and in all reality we wouldnt be able to enforce any penalties that would make it worth while...