• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Windies Team Discussion, and Other Related Things Thread

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not sure that's fair tbh, we have plenty of good seamers with decent test records. Just not the tearaways we used to.
Hmm, if we look over the past 25 years we see a lot of mediocre bowlers and enough ones of less than threatening pace (like Colleymore and Collins, let alone Sammy).

I'm not convinced it's been long enough with the Dukes ball. I also think that if you want quicker bowlers the best solution is to make the Bridgetown and Kingston pitches the hard, bouncy, grassless surfaces they used to be.

Starfighter

Bit harsh on Roach though
Once Roach doesn't mean the Daren Powells weren't present. WI have had plenty of mediocrity prior to using the Dukes ball and I suggest the awful pitches in the 2010s would be just as influential for any lack in genuine pace at the current time.

WICFan

U19 Captain
Slow/spin bowlers have dominated the Regional fc tournament for some time. Miller, Kantasingh, Austin, Permaul, Cornwall etc.

Pitches have been poor for a long time, but I also think the Dukes ball has played it's part in a renaissance of sorts for pace bowling.

I agree about the need for the likes of Sabina to return to how it used to be, nowadays it's rarely used.

WICFan

U19 Captain
Rnd 3:
Guyana 324 (Sinclair 69, Johnson 62, Khan 4/86 Charles 3/85) & 247/6d (Savory 101*, Johnson 74, Bravo 2/23) beat Trinidad and Tobago 160 (Mohammed 50, Beaton 4/31, Permaul 3/36, Paul 3/37) & 268 (Bravo 95, Jangoo 50, Permaul 3/58) by 143 runs.

Windwards 217 (Athanaze 81, Greaves 50, Green 5/30) & 298 (Athanaze 97, Hodge 82, Harty 3/62) beat Jamaica 101 (Green 33, Greaves 6/34) & 233 (Thomas 55, Mansingh 50, Lewis 5/22) by 181 runs.

Leewards 154 (Hamilton 30, Drakes 3/38) & 247/8 (Powell 104, Hamilton 55, Holder 3/38) beat Barbados 322 (Dowrich 124, Holder 43, Cornwall 6/50) & 78 (McCaskie 29, Cornwall 5/19, Thomas 5/22) by 2 wickets.

Starfighter

Might point out something else - WI aren't going to develop bowling talent with a 5-round FC competition, and the continuing lack of matches in Jamaica is a concern.

Last edited:

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Might point out something else - WI aren't going to develop bowling talent with a 5-round FC competition, and the continuing lack of matches in Jamaica is a concern.
Please see this post as an explanation for that. It's financial and due to the inequalities of the international system, not a deliberate strategy.

WICFan

U19 Captain
Please see this post as an explanation for that. It's financial and due to the inequalities of the international system, not a deliberate strategy.
Doesn't help when the majority, if not all domestic games are played in Antigua or Trinidad and Tobago and the pitches deteriorate rapidly.

Beamer

Doesn't help when the majority, if not all domestic games are played in Antigua or Trinidad and Tobago and the pitches deteriorate rapidly.
Yep they need to spread it around more no doubt. But cost is the main factor.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yep they need to spread it around more no doubt. But cost is the main factor.
Don't they have discounts for airfare and hotel accommodations in each territory to go to?

The Busta and Carib competitions were so efficiently run.

I used to look forward to the FC fixture at my home ground each year.

WICFan

U19 Captain
Don't they have discounts for airfare and hotel accommodations in each territory to go to?

The Busta and Carib competitions were so efficiently run.

I used to look forward to the FC fixture at my home ground each year.
Same CWI that had Bangladesh travel by boat between Islands a couple of years back due to costs. They ended up seasick.

Beamer

The executives should spread the wealth more evenly.

I don't know what happened to the big sponsors. Where are they?
Sandals struggled so badly during COVID. Hopefully they will come back. Need some Caribbean businesses to back the brand and invest to improve and grow with the product. At the moment that just doesn't seem to be happening.