• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Windies Team Discussion, and Other Related Things Thread

WICFan

U19 Captain
With the Combined Campuses and Colleges team returning to the 4-day comp then Chemar Holder may be one that'll benefit and get some more games under his belt.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Chemar has such a sechhsy action. Absolutely looks like he should be able to take 300 Test wickets @ 25. @GoodAreasShane also a big fan IIRC. The reality of what he sends down and how his body copes with it seems to be sadly quite different though.
Yeah, really loved watching Chemar bowl. Shame about all the injuries though, really would like to see him get a solid run of cricket under his belt again

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
That’s a pity. They seemed to have real fast bowling talent in the u19 sides over the years that haven’t been able to make the transition.

ronsford Beaton, Jerome jones and Delorn Johnson three that spring to mind. Beaton terrified the Australia u19 bats when they faced him and Delorn destroyed an India A side that had Rohit and Pujara.
We have had huge problems bringing Under 19 talent through to senior level. There is no under 23 league or second XI cricket in the Caribbean where these guys can prove their worth and the territories select guys like Jason Mohammed over and over again instead of giving the a chance. The academy is a step in the right direction and this is something that is being worked on thankfully.

Delorn wouldn't keep himself fit, unfortunately, and put on too much weight. Ronsford Beaton got called for throwing and came back decent but not quite the same, before getting called again.

Beamer

Chemar has such a sechhsy action. Absolutely looks like he should be able to take 300 Test wickets @ 25. @GoodAreasShane also a big fan IIRC. The reality of what he sends down and how his body copes with it seems to be sadly quite different though.
He is a super athlete, basically has an 8 pack. They just had a run of injuries and hasn't had a huge amount of help from CWI.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
We have had huge problems bringing Under 19 talent through to senior level. There is no under 23 league or second XI cricket in the Caribbean where these guys can prove their worth and the territories select guys like Jason Mohammed over and over again instead of giving the a chance. The academy is a step in the right direction and this is something that is being worked on thankfully.

Delorn wouldn't keep himself fit, unfortunately, and put on too much weight. Ronsford Beaton got called for throwing and came back decent but not quite the same, before getting called again.
I've heard jarrod kimber talk about this alot. He always brings up his time in the CPL and seeing guys like odean Smith in the nets who are smashing monster sixes and bowling fast at a young age but can't get game time.

Is there just not a good pathways structure over there after u'19's?

Beamer

I've heard jarrod kimber talk about this alot. He always brings up his time in the CPL and seeing guys like odean Smith in the nets who are smashing monster sixes and bowling fast at a young age but can't get game time.

Is there just not a good pathways structure over there after u'19's?
There has been no pathway at all. If you are an absolute standout like Alzarri or Hety, you get fast-tracked, but otherwise, you are left to try and fight your way into your regional team. If you are from Windwards, Leewards or Guyana it is doable and you may get a chance, but Barbados, T & T and Jamaica continue to select 30 plus year olds averaging around 25 in FC cricket.

That is why they created the academy for Under 23s that will play in this year's 4-day competition. So we are improving the pathway, but we will have lost a lot of talents over the years. For example, Jacob Bethell outright said it is the reason he moved to England, he didn;t see a pathway for youngsters in Barbados.

WICFan

U19 Captain
Jason Bennett and Kevin McClean were two pacers who were often overlooked by Barbados, played as much for CCC team if not more.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There has been no pathway at all. If you are an absolute standout like Alzarri or Hety, you get fast-tracked, but otherwise, you are left to try and fight your way into your regional team. If you are from Windwards, Leewards or Guyana it is doable and you may get a chance, but Barbados, T & T and Jamaica continue to select 30 plus year olds averaging around 25 in FC cricket.

That is why they created the academy for Under 23s that will play in this year's 4-day competition. So we are improving the pathway, but we will have lost a lot of talents over the years. For example, Jacob Bethell outright said it is the reason he moved to England, he didn;t see a pathway for youngsters in Barbados.
Guyana is like the most progressive to push forward their talent...and I must add that cricket is a religion in Berbice (my county)....and we continue to produce quality players.

You know what would be nice, if we had somewhat of a FC status for inter-county matches. This used to be a thing in the past...60s, 70s, and 80s?

Beamer

Guyana is like the most progressive to push forward their talent...and I must add that cricket is a religion in Berbice (my county)....and we continue to produce quality players.

You know what would be nice, if we had somewhat of a FC status for inter-county matches. This used to be a thing in the past...60s, 70s, and 80s?
Dindyal is already getting exposure for example. I imagine it wont be long until Thorne gets a chance either. T & T and Jamaica are the worst. Jamaica won't give Jordan Johnson a game even though he is already pretty much the best batsman in Jamaica outside of King and Blackwood.

SillyCowCorner1

Dindyal is already getting exposure for example. I imagine it wont be long until Thorne gets a chance either. T & T and Jamaica are the worst. Jamaica won't give Jordan Johnson a game even though he is already pretty much the best batsman in Jamaica outside of King and Blackwood.
It's frustrating to see that the necessary administrators of the game in Jamaica is letting this slide away. Jordan gets black-balled like this. I think some of the current players should somehow speak out against this. But I digress, it's their own house that needs fixing.

With Sarwan in the selector role for Guyana, man is not afraid to bring up the talent to be around the senior squad. This gives exposure to the youngsters to develop their own game and thrive. There's a reason we've been dominating First Class cricket in the region for the most part of a decade*

Himannv

International Coach
Just watching a match from 97 between West Indies and England. I'd forgotten how good Chanderpaul was in the field at the time. He took an absolute blinder at backward point and was sprinting about everywhere. Not trying to derail this thread but I couldn't find a better place to put it. Probably one of the most underrated players ever.

SillyCowCorner1

Just watching a match from 97 between West Indies and England. I'd forgotten how good Chanderpaul was in the field at the time. He took an absolute blinder at backward point and was sprinting about everywhere. Not trying to derail this thread but I couldn't find a better place to put it. Probably one of the most underrated players ever.
That's why they called him, "Tiger"

Here's the quote,

“The coach and manager call me Tigah, I don’t know why.”

SillyCowCorner1

With all the money that his uncle Shimron is making in the big leagues, it's really interesting to see that a businessman had to step up and sponsor the young Adrian Hetmyer with cricket gear,

1705335689566.png

“We at Kascon Engineering we have one saying, Test cricket was made for the Gods, average men play ODI and T20 cricket. With three double centuries at the age of 14, with an uncle who played at the highest level, with a father whose name is synonymous with a complete cricketer, and probably the best all-rounder in the Canje district, Mr Adrian Hetmyer, we at Kascon Engineering is [sic] proud to be part of your life for the next 12 months. We are more than grateful to have you [as] part of our family."

WICFan

U19 Captain
Regional 4-Day Championship Fixtures.

Rnd 1
7 to 10 February:
Jamaica Scorpions vs Windward Islands Volcanoes - Sabina Park, Jamaica
CCC vs Barbados Pride - Chedwin Park, Jamaica
Leeward Islands Hurricanes vs West Indies Academy - Warner Park, St. Kitts
Guyana Harpy Eagles vs Trinidad & Tobago Red Force - Conaree Cricket Centre, St. Kitts

Rnd 2
14 to 17 February:
Jamaica Scorpions vs CCC - Sabina Park, Jamaica
Barbados Pride vs Windward Islands Volcanoes - Kensington Cricket Club, Jamaica
Leeward Islands Hurricanes vs Guyana Harpy Eagles - Warner Park, St. Kitts
Trinidad & Tobago Red Force vs West Indies Academy - Conaree Cricket Centre, St. Kitts

Rnd 3
21 to 24 February:
Jamaica Scorpions vs Barbados Pride - Sabina Park, Jamaica
Windward Islands Volcanoes vs CCC - Chedwin Park, Jamaica
Leeward Islands Hurricanes vs Trinidad & Tobago Red Force - Warner Park, St. Kitts
West Indies Academy vs Guyana Harpy Eagles - CCG, Antigua

Rnd 4
13 to 16 March:
Trinidad & Tobago Red Force vs Windward Islands Volcanoes - Queen’s Park Oval, Trinidad
CCC vs Leeward Islands Hurricanes - Diego Martin Regional Complex, Trinidad
Guyana Harpy Eagles vs Barbados Pride - UWI Spec, Trinidad
West Indies Academy vs Jamaica Scorpions - CCG, Antigua

Rnd 5
20 March to 23 March:
Trinidad & Tobago Red Force vs Barbados Pride - QPO, Trinidad
Leeward Islands Hurricanes vs Jamaica Scorpions - Diego Martin Regional Complex, Trinidad
Guyana Harpy Eagles vs Windward Islands Volcanoes - UWI Spec Trinidad
West Indies Academy vs CCC - CCG, Antigua

Rnd 6
10 to 13 April:
Jamaica Scorpions vs Guyana Harpy Eagles - Sabina Park, Jamaica
CCC vs Trinidad &Tobago Red Force - Chedwin Park, Jamaica
Leeward Hurricanes vs Barbados Pride - UWI Spec, Trinidad
West Indies Academy vs Windward Islands Volcanoes - CCG, Antigua

Rnd 7
17 to 20 April:
Jamaica Scorpions vs Trinidad &Tobago Red Force - Sabina Park, Jamaica
CCC vs Guyana Harpy Eagles - Kensington Cricket Club, Jamaica
Leeward Islands Hurricanes vs Windward Islands Volcanoes - UWI Spec, Trinidad
West Indies Academy vs Barbados Pride - CCG, Antigua

SillyCowCorner1

We have a new captain in the Guyana Harpy Eagles team for the 2024 season. Kevlon Anderson, one of the cricketers who takes the longer format seriously. He's young and he's got a young deputy in Matthew Nandu.

Guyana is setting the example of Windies future in the game.