• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Windies Team Discussion, and Other Related Things Thread

WICFan

U19 Captain
The current government does not really care much about sport. They have overseen a whole bunch of incompetence in multiple sports and shown no real interest in investing in cricket.

The president of the JCA is also useless and yet keeps getting elected.

Quite how they have still produced someone as good as Jordan Johnson, I don't know. Mostly luck and God given talent I guess.
I don't think there has been any regional cricket played at Sabina since 2019 and the last i heard, Trelawny Stadium is almost dilapidated.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think there has been any regional cricket played at Sabina since 2019 and the last I heard; Trelawny Stadium is almost dilapidated.
Yeah, shame what happened to the Trelawny multipurpose stadium/facility.

On the topic of run down cricket grounds, recently read about the Antigua Recreation Ground on CI, it's grim what it is now.

And then there is the majestic Bourda Cricket Ground...

WICFan

U19 Captain
Yeah, shame what happened to the Trelawny multipurpose stadium/facility.

On the topic of run down cricket grounds, recently read about the Antigua Recreation Ground on CI, it's grim what it is now.

And then there is the majestic Bourda Cricket Ground...
I remember the ARG being used for a rescheduled test and I think it was KP getting done by an ankle cutter due to the pitch lining.

SillyCowCorner1

On the topic of playing two left-arm spinners in the same team,

Hosein said when two left-arm batsmen open the batting for a team or two right-handers it is not scrutinised as much. "I think it's foolish. I think once guys are performing well and they are performing their role then they deserve to be in a team...this picture is only being painted with left-arm spinners, that it's a rivalry. It's been plastered a lot between me and him, but there is no bad blood."

Hosein and Motie often share ideas. "We have been back and forth on the field. We would run across the field just to give a piece of advice before whoever takes up the ball to bowl...we hide nothing from each other. Whatever we have to do as players to make sure that our unit goes forward and that we are successful. At the end of the day I think we are doing it."

SillyCowCorner1

Another talented young Berbician among the runs...shows why my home county is a production line of quality cricketers to represent Guyana and the West Indies.

This one in particular is named Hetmyer, scored his third double century in Under-15 cricket and his second during the last week.
His last three innings were: 260, 168 and 277.
Hetmyer’s 277 was the highest ever in Under-15 cricket in Berbice. He slammed 41 fours and four sixes.
His majestic innings of 277 came against Tucber Park B, while his 168 a few days earlier came against Tucber Park A at Rose Hall Canje.

Adrian Hetmyer is the son of Seon Hetmyer (who was my team-mate in under-15 days) and nephew of Shimron Hetmyer.

Link

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
The West Indies putting their T20 competition ahead of their Test team to tour Australia is disheartening ... just as is South Africa's policy regarding a Test series in New Zealand. These two cricketing bodies are sounding the death knell of Tests.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
The West Indies putting their T20 competition ahead of their Test team to tour Australia is disheartening ... just as is South Africa's policy regarding a Test series in New Zealand. These two cricketing bodies are sounding the death knell of Tests.
This is not our board prioritising T20, it's the players themselves choosing franchise tournaments to practice T20 ahead of tests. I don't like it either but in this case won't blame the CWI.

Something needs to be done about tests, they have become too expensive for teams like us to host. That test fund is needed pronto.

SillyCowCorner1

Reminisced with a few of my friends and close family members on Old Year's night, we talked about the early 00s when there used to be FC and 50-over cricket played at our home ground. It was such festive atmosphere, as meals would be cooked early in the morning in anticipation of getting to the ground before 9:30AM.

Gone are those days.

Busta Cup, Red Stripe Cup, Carib Beer 4-day...

Later on, I was part of the crew that worked on the manual scoreboard.

The way that our cricket has d(evolved) is fascinating to see.

Last edited:

WICFan

U19 Captain
Roland Butcher’s time as a member of the Desmond Haynes-led senior selection panel for the West Indies Men’s teams seems to have come to an end as his contract has not been renewed.

Cricket West Indies, in a letter dated December 12, 2023, informed Butcher of the decision to not renew his contract as a selector.
Think Haynes has another year or so on his contract as CoS.

Beamer

8 teams to be featured in 2024 regional 4-day competition,

The Academy and CCC join defending champions Guyana Harpy Eagles, Barbados Pride, Trinidad and Tobago Red Force, Windward Volcanoes, Jamaica Scorpions and Leeward Hurricanes in the competition.

Each team will play 7 matches each.
Excellent news!

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Are they actually going to play any matches in Jamaica? Wouldn't surprise me if they end up playing all away games.

WICFan

U19 Captain
Are they actually going to play any matches in Jamaica? Wouldn't surprise me if they end up playing all away games.
Possibly, some of the venues will need to be prepared for the T/20 WC.

With Jamaica not hosting, they may get a couple of rounds of the 4 day tournament instead.

SillyCowCorner1

14-year-old Adrian Hetmyer selected for defending champs' Guyana Harpy Eagles practice matches.

Good to see that he is getting a push. I remember Sarwan debuting in FC at 15, Leon Johnson also. Permaul was 16 or 17, I believe.

Among those players is the prodigious 14-year-old left-handed batsman Adrian Hetmyer, nephew of Guyana and West Indies player Shimron Hetmyer.

The youngster’s three most recent innings for his club, Rose Hall Canje Arborsmart, have been a record 277, 168, and 260.

Beamer

14-year-old Adrian Hetmyer selected for defending champs' Guyana Harpy Eagles practice matches.

Good to see that he is getting a push. I remember Sarwan debuting in FC at 15, Leon Johnson also. Permaul was 16 or 17, I believe.

Among those players is the prodigious 14-year-old left-handed batsman Adrian Hetmyer, nephew of Guyana and West Indies player Shimron Hetmyer.

The youngster’s three most recent innings for his club, Rose Hall Canje Arborsmart, have been a record 277, 168, and 260.

How fun if a Hetmeyer ends up being a world-class batsman, but it's not Shimron.

Beamer

What happened to Chemar holder and Ray Jordan ?
Ray Jordan had a dodgy action and when it was fixed he was around 10kph slower and less effective.

Chemar is constantly injured :(. He is slowly coming back and was able to play some 50 over matches a few months ago. I hope he can get some game time in the upcoming 4 day season.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Ray Jordan had a dodgy action and when it was fixed he was around 10kph slower and less effective.

Chemar is constantly injured :(. He is slowly coming back and was able to play some 50 over matches a few months ago. I hope he can get some game time in the upcoming 4 day season.
That’s a pity. They seemed to have real fast bowling talent in the u19 sides over the years that haven’t been able to make the transition.

ronsford Beaton, Jerome jones and Delorn Jeohnson three that spring to mind. Beaton terrified the Australia u19 bats when they faced him and Delorn destroyed an India A side that had Rohit and Pujara.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Chemar has such a sechhsy action. Absolutely looks like he should be able to take 300 Test wickets @ 25. @GoodAreasShane also a big fan IIRC. The reality of what he sends down and how his body copes with it seems to be sadly quite different though.