• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Windies Team Discussion, and Other Related Things Thread

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mostly agree, but honestly drop a bowler for a batsman. Improves team balance IMO, and also lets there be another spot for a batsman to prove they can average 40+.
I don't see how it improves the team balance. the issue is Mayers and Holder need to be doing their job with the bat.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
I don't see how it improves the team balance. the issue is Mayers and Holder need to be doing their job with the bat.
Agreed, though I really don't think Holder is a number 6. He bowls too many overs to bat well there. Ultimately, we just need a proper number 3 and 4 so Mayers can play the Travis Head role against tired bowlers.

We're up against it on away tours because we never score enough runs.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The younger lads are the ones we have to look to. Some of the guys in the Academy team showed good promise. We also have Imlach, who to me looks like a version of Sarwan. He is a busy player with good technique.

Also, we gotta get back Brandon King in the FC competition scoring like how he used to.

Beamer

The younger lads are the ones we have to look to. Some of the guys in the Academy team showed good promise. We also have Imlach, who to me looks like a version of Sarwan. He is a busy player with good technique.

Also, we gotta get back Brandon King in the FC competition scoring like how he used to.
I agree completely. It's madness to suck this much at batting with people all over the age of 30 averaging in the 20s and 30s. Let's try something new.

WICFan

U19 Captain
Zimbabwe away next. I'd be looking to call-up King, Motie, Hope and either Paul or Cariah at the expense of Brooks, Chase, Reifer and Thomas.

Hope has experience of the conditions and scored decent runs in the Super50, King scores FC runs but doesn't play enough for one reason or another but it's time to try him in the middle-order.

If Pooran was to agree to play then I'd gamble and slot him in there. Hetmyer and CWI need to let us know just what is happening with him.

There's been no announced dates for the FC Season so there won't be time to get some cricket in before then.

SillyCowCorner1

I agree completely. It's madness to suck this much at batting with people all over the age of 30 averaging in the 20s and 30s. Let's try something new.
Yes, these guys have been mediocre throughout their careers and there's nothing to expect from them with a hunger for runs. They suck.

At least there is something to hope from the youths. Like how Jayden Seales was fast-tracked into the test team. The selectors need to make bold moves.

SillyCowCorner1

Zimbabwe away next. I'd be looking to call-up King, Motie, Hope and either Paul or Cariah at the expense of Brooks, Chase, Reifer and Thomas.

Hope has experience of the conditions and scored decent runs in the Super50, King scores FC runs but doesn't play enough for one reason or another but it's time to try him in the middle-order.

If Pooran was to agree to play then I'd gamble and slot him in there. Hetmyer and CWI need to let us know just what is happening with him.

There's been no announced dates for the FC Season so there won't be time to get some cricket in before then.
The Pooran ship has long sailed away. He's not interested in the longer format of the game.

In Hetmyer's case, you gotta ask his wife. It's weird.

WICFan

U19 Captain
BTW in 2023, 6 tests for us is ridiculous. We need to find a way to host teams like Ireland and Afghanistan, so those teams also get more games at the test level.

It's no that hard to schedule. Come on.
From a financial standpoint it would probably cost CWI a lot of money, which they don't have.

Aritro

International Regular
The Pooran ship has long sailed away. He's not interested in the longer format of the game.
Thought he actually was interested in tests, but can't commit to a full first class season because of T20 money?

You could argue that's tantamount to not being interested I suppose.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyone know anything about this matthew forde guy playing in the LPL atm? He's 20, and has taken 7 wickets in 3 games so far in the tourney. Got send out at 4 today is and is 48(26)* atm, looks like he's gonna take his side to the eliminators.

WICFan

U19 Captain
Anyone know anything about this matthew forde guy playing in the LPL atm? He's 20, and has taken 7 wickets in 3 games so far in the tourney. Got send out at 4 today is and is 48(26)* atm, looks like he's gonna take his side to the eliminators.
Played in the Super50 tournament just passed and was one of a group or 4 or 5 that Kenny Benjamin rated highly for the U-19s. Opened the bowling with Seales for them.

Hopefully will be involved in the Regional FC Tournament.

WICFan

U19 Captain
Jayden Seales has had surgery after sustaining a torn meniscus in his left knee.

He'll be out for 4 months which rules him out of the tours to Zimbabwe and South Africa, the domestic 4 day tournament and he was also signed to play for Sussex for the first 3 months of the CC Season as well.

SillyCowCorner1

Jayden Seales has had surgery after sustaining a torn meniscus in his left knee.

He'll be out for 4 months which rules him out of the tours to Zimbabwe and South Africa, the domestic 4 day tournament and he was also signed to play for Sussex for the first 3 months of the CC Season as well.
Oh no, I did not know about this.
well I wish him a speedy recovery

SillyCowCorner1

Andre Coley will be temporary coach for the tours of Zimbabwe and South Africa.

Roddy Estwick (bowling coach) and Monty Desai (batting coach) have both left their positions on the coaching staff.
Yeah, it was time for them to leave: mediocre returns with the bat from most of our senior batsmen.

Not sure how Estwick have impacted the bowlers

Beamer

Yeah, it was time for them to leave: mediocre returns with the bat from most of our senior batsmen.

Not sure how Estwick have impacted the bowlers
I think Roddy started off having an impact in 2018/19 but has struggled since. The fact we haven't improved at all with the kookaburra is also a failure on his part.

Was never really convinced by monty if I'm honest. I saw a slight improvement against spin but nothing at all against pace.

It's time for some new voices for them to listen to.

Beamer

So what are your big calls/predictions for West Indies cricket in 2023? Mine are..
  • Micky Arthur to take over as head coach from March.
  • Brandon King to get selected for tests
  • Akheil Hossein to get selected for tests as the spinner
  • Shimron Hetmeyer to be back playing white ball for West Indies before the WC qualifiers
  • Jason Holder to get dropped from tests by the year end.
  • One academy batsman to get an international cap this year.