• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why doesn't FIFA do something about diving/players abusing referees?

99*

International Debutant
Oh and video game called 'This Is Football' (great game, quite fun) had a 'diving' button. Was hilarious.

Can't imagine flagrant cheating being allowed in many other sport video games. Says something about it being a problem.
:laugh:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
There was a moment I think around the 40th minute in the Australia game where two players were fighting hard for the ball, they then start remonstrating and whinging for a free, despite the ball still being in play! It's not just soccer either, most sports these days have become very ugly in this regard, everything centres around the refs and it really detracts from the sport. At least cricket is doing something about it, if you don't like it, refer it, but don't moan and bitch and don't try and cheat because you'll be found out quickly.
Yeah, worst thing when players don't play to the whistle. Big source of frustration when I see our players to do that.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, any sport where cheating and disrespecting the officials comes with such clear rewards could do with some changes.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Na don't think the sport needs to change, reckon the media and the fans have to really shame their own players into stopping such behaviour.

Sir Alex

Banned
Yes, some of the Australians were clearly seen shoutin four letter words whenever they were called foul, maybe ohters as well but I don't know their language so they might be saying sorry as well. I haven't seen this from English players maybe because EPL is such strict and boringly disciplined league and anyways English players are well mannered on field generally. Australians always have their definition of "playing hard" but it need not be universally accepted by everyone. If anyone pleads with referee they should be yellow carded immediately and if repeated red carded.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
:laugh:

Australian match the only one you've seen then? Hardly think players getting all hot and bothered whilst showing quite aggressive body language are "saying sorry"

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
There's already a provision in the laws to deal with players abusing refs, if the refs aren't using it then it's their problem.

Straight red for diving? GAGF. Diving isn't as big an issue as everyone makes out.
Speaking as a neutral, that's the #1 thing keeping me from enjoying the sport. When people pan soccer in the US, they always mention diving (and the low scores, but can't do anything about that).

Son Of Coco

Yes, some of the Australians were clearly seen shoutin four letter words whenever they were called foul, maybe ohters as well but I don't know their language so they might be saying sorry as well. I haven't seen this from English players maybe because EPL is such strict and boringly disciplined league and anyways English players are well mannered on field generally. Australians always have their definition of "playing hard" but it need not be universally accepted by everyone. If anyone pleads with referee they should be yellow carded immediately and if repeated red carded.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Incredible post.

Missed Frankie Lampard screaming '**** OFF' at the goalkeeper after converting a penalty a few years back obviously. May have been a one-off, a complete aberration, but I doubt it.

Am pretty sure Wayne Rooney attends church on Sundays and has problems eating scones because the butter won't melt in his mouth too.

Have seen a number of players swearing in this WC alone, and they haven't all been from one country.

Would be hilarious to see players shouting "SORRY"...."SORRY"..."SORRY"

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

Haha sorry, came out a bit more harsh than intented, no offence :)

Just he's at it all of the time and it's getting pretty dire now.
Haha, no worries mate. Didn't think it was harsh, it was my way of agreeing with you.

Fortunately I seem to avoid most of the threads he frequents here it seems.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The fact that diving can result in an opposition player getting sent off is ridiculous. I'd love to know any sport whereby cheating can provide such an advantage for their team, barring a boxer wearing barbed wire on their gloves :dry:
I'd agree with that if people also agree that the New Zealand defender who gave away the penalty yesterday should have been sent off - after all, holding your opponent back so he can't get a clear run at a corner is cheating as well.

For all the outrage about diving, I've seen very little condemnation of the "tackle" which saw Elano stretchered off. Until people are prepared to condemn acts of thuggery that risk injuring players as much as they condemn diving, I won't take any anti-diving crusade seriously.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The slight tugging of a persons shirt is not as big of a hindrance as playing the rest of the match with one less player.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I don't really see how you can compare the two things. Tugging on someone's shirt is against the rules and should be a foul, but it's a couple of seconds of hindrance for one player, and it's already something referees look for and attempt to punish.

Diving and winning a penalty or getting another player sent off can decide matches, is absurdly common and also completely contrary to the spirit of the game, which I don't really think a physical competition for the ball is, even if one player might controvene the rules in the process.