• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why does cricket need a strong West Indies?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
We hear the comment at issue about different sides whenever they are meh, tbh. I recall hearing it in the 80s re Australia, and every year between 1989-2003 re. England. And again now :ph34r:
Nah. England had good sides any number of times between 1989 and 2003. Certainly invariably far stronger than any between 1986 and 1989. :blink:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't think cricket needs a strong West Indies. It'd be cool if they were strong though. Expanding on that a bit, it's good for cricket if all the teams are competitive to a degree and as such, the Windies being as weak as they are right now doesn't make for good cricket....but I don't think cricket needs a strong West Indies any more than it needs a strong Australia or a strong New Zealand etc.
Agree with this more than any other post in the thread.

I'm too young to remember England's constantly being thrashed by West Indies (don't even remember the first 2 series after we got back on terms, in 1990 and 1991) so I have no pleasure from watching them being beaten by England (outside the fact that I always enjoy an England victory). So I'd like to see them become a competetive force again.

The more strong teams, the better.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Nah. England had good sides any number of times between 1989 and 2003. Certainly invariably far stronger than any between 1986 and 1989. :blink:
Yet the far weaker team in 87 won the Ashes and went the entire tour winning everything they entered.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I don't think cricket needs a strong West Indies. It'd be cool if they were strong though. Expanding on that a bit, it's good for cricket if all the teams are competitive to a degree and as such, the Windies being as weak as they are right now doesn't make for good cricket....but I don't think cricket needs a strong West Indies any more than it needs a strong Australia or a strong New Zealand etc.
That's pretty much how I feel about it. A strong Windies isn't strictly necessary for the game to flourish, it does add another element because of the uniqueness of their cricketing culture.

There's possibly deeper psychological reasons too; I certainly mourn a strong Windies far more than I mourn a strong Germany in football. I mean, they handed our arse to us consistently for 25+ years and seven years since we first defeated them in a series in my lifetime we (the English) are concerned about their future as a cricketing nation! It could be just post-colonial guilt, of course, but I personally think it's because "defeat" is the English sports fan's default setting; any period of sustained success makes us look for faults in the other fellow rather than bask in our own glory.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I mean, they handed our arse to us consistently for 25+ years
Not really, they stopped handing our arse to us after 1988 - when, as I mention elsewhere, you were 12. That was 12 years of arse-handing - starting in 1976 when you were in your prambulator.

Once we beat them in 1990 (when I was just out of my prambulator) we've been on pretty even terms between then and 2000, when we won a series for the first time since 1969.

Piper

International Captain
Im with you Rich. The WI could fall into the sea in cricketing terms as far as Im concerned.

Its international competition not the girl scouts cooking contest. WI are rubbish because they have poor players and poor administration and deserve to be poor. Its great after years of getting beat by them. Just hoping Aus goes the same way :)
I think this is a really unfair comment (no offence). I think it's incredibly sad that WI aren't the team they once was. During their dominance of 20-30 is was exciting to watch (not that I was there of cause). Players such as Richards bought in crowds in every country he played in. See how things have changed from that, to now where WI have only one 4 out of 40 Test Matches is, in my opinion, bad for the sport. Cricket should be about improving and the challenge of going up against another team not really knowing what the outcome of that match will be. Not thinking ''this will be a walk-over.'' It's not enjoyable for the fans or the players. I think more should be done to help teams such as WI, Canada to make them less of a walk over, thus, making the game more enjoyable for everyone concerned.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Not really, they stopped handing our arse to us after 1988 - when, as I mention elsewhere, you were 12. That was 12 years of arse-handing - starting in 1976 when you were in your prambulator.

Once we beat them in 1990 (when I was just out of my prambulator) we've been on pretty even terms between then and 2000, when we won a series for the first time since 1969.
We didn't win any series against them until 2000 tho, which was my point.

Piper

International Captain
I think the problem with the WI team is that there doesn't seem to be the motivation in the team, they don't seem to enjoy playing cricket. How about working with the kids that may not be as good as some but have the desire to play and to win? They may not be as talented as some, but if they enjoy playing they will always be wanting to improve their game.

Fiery

Banned
I think the problem with the WI team is that there doesn't seem to be the motivation in the team, they don't seem to enjoy playing cricket. How about working with the kids that may not be as good as some but have the desire to play and to win? They may not be as talented as some, but if they enjoy playing they will always be wanting to improve their game.
Lack of enjoyment is a symptom of losing. I know what you're getting at but I think WI need all the experienced guys in the team atm, particularly now Lara has gone. These guys just need to stand up and show some more intestinal fortitude.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
India generates it's own money and the reason for them always underachieving has much to do with lazy players and politics as anything imo
If you listened to Adams and Holding speak during this last Test they talked about how WI has the ability to generate massive amounts of revenue and it wouldnt be hard to do.

The problem? No one has ever put a plan together to try and organise it. :laugh:

WI can look after itself without ICC charity. It just hasnt done it properly yet. Its their own fault.

All this interest of competition stuff is beyond me. There is 1 great team, 6 good-decent ones and then WI and further back Bang and Zim. Cricket on a global scale is healthy and competitive. Certainly more so than during the 1980s when the WI dominated and there was only 5 other teams of note and they were going through their ups and downs.

Currently in World cricket there is a team of an approximate standard to play against.

Fiery

Banned
If you listened to Adams and Holding speak during this last Test they talked about how WI has the ability to generate massive amounts of revenue and it wouldnt be hard to do.

The problem? No one has ever put a plan together to try and organise it. :laugh:

WI can look after itself without ICC charity. It just hasnt done it properly yet. Its their own fault.

All this interest of competition stuff is beyond me. There is 1 great team, 6 good-decent ones and then WI and further back Bang and Zim. Cricket on a global scale is healthy and competitive. Certainly more so than during the 1980s when the WI dominated and there was only 5 other teams of note and they were going through their ups and downs.

Currently in World cricket there is a team of an approximate standard to play against.
Yeah, my comment about money was slightly tongue in cheek. I'm hoping all the new stadiums and facilities they built for the WC will make a difference for WI cricket. I also think the Stanford 20/20 is an outstanding competition and has got people interested in the game again so I don't think it's all doom and gloom for them

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I also think the Stanford 20/20 is an outstanding competition and has got people interested in the game again so I don't think it's all doom and gloom for them
Agree wholeheartedly. From the few games I managed to watch it seemed like the crowd were really getting into this competition and there was a strong rivalry between the different teams. Added to that, there were plenty of youngsters on display who were impressing the cricket media.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, my comment about money was slightly tongue in cheek. I'm hoping all the new stadiums and facilities they built for the WC will make a difference for WI cricket. I also think the Stanford 20/20 is an outstanding competition and has got people interested in the game again so I don't think it's all doom and gloom for them
Well let's hope it's done that, at least. :mellow:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Which, really, is extremely worrying. Why the blue blazes, if it's so obviously possible, has no-one managed it?

Is everyone at The WICB completely stupid?