• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why does cricket need a strong West Indies?

pasag

RTDAS
The past two? The First one was a pretty reasonable contest, even if we always had the upper hand.
Yeah you're right, was still a farce of a match though, for different reasons ie probably one of the worst all round bowling efforts in recent times.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I certainly don't like it, I hate the idea that India should become more seam-friendly and less of a spin-haven. Absolutely hate it.
I have never been a fan of this idea either Richard, India are known for their spinning pitches and I feel that this should remain. I think it's great that each different country have different kind of pitches and conditions, meaning the opposition teams have to adjust to these variables in order to succeed.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
So, I guess I've helped you understand part of the reason why West Indian commentators and veterans think cricket need a strong West Indies.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I have never been a fan of this idea either Richard, India are known for their spinning pitches and I feel that this should remain. I think it's great that each different country have different kind of pitches and conditions, meaning the opposition teams have to adjust to these variables in order to succeed.
Why the italics? :dontgetit

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
:laugh: Woah, Staff member. Anyway, the WICB have had plenty of ideas but apparently it's the issue of funding that gets in the way. Just recently there was talk of starting a lottery but some countries rejected it and others liked it, hence it not taking off. There's also a bit of territorial rivalry at administration level, not as much in the past but still present. Also, the WICB seem to have either a poor or non-existent marketing department. There's money to be made from merchandising and there's very little if any going on. The only semblance of that I've seen was at the WC. Before that they were hardly making money from merchandising. There are plenty of expatriates who would gladly contribute but no one can come together or execute plans or raise funds.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think cricket needs a strong West Indies. It'd be cool if they were strong though. Expanding on that a bit, it's good for cricket if all the teams are competitive to a degree and as such, the Windies being as weak as they are right now doesn't make for good cricket....but I don't think cricket needs a strong West Indies any more than it needs a strong Australia or a strong New Zealand etc.
agreed totally...

♪♪♪

Cricket Spectator
Agree with the first post.

Cricket needs strong teams. Full stop.

Don't give a rats behind whether that set of teams includes the West Indies or not. If twenty years down the line, Ireland end up replacing West Indies in the top 8, I'll have no problems. Viv, Marshall and co are gone, deal with it.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
It really gets my goat when I hear this being uttered by former players or commentators..

Fact of the matter is, all sports rely on balances in power changing.. We now have a dominant Australia, South Africa re-admitted, Bangladesh starting to show glimpses of progression, and other nations such as Ireland and Nepal starting to get noticed.. All this at the expense, probably of the West Indies past dominance, but some people seem to lament this, as if the West Indies have a right to a place near the top of world cricket.. I can't understand why there is anything inherantly wrong with them being near the bottom of the tree.. It's obviously sad for their followers to see their regression, but I don't see why it's sad for cricket..
It isn't, bud. A common argument seems to be to evoke their past heritage as an indicator of future desirability. That's a form of stereotyping in itself.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
I suppose we could ask whether what the Windies bring to the table is truly irreplaceable?