• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why do you love the game?

Why do you love the game?

• Total voters

Athlai

Not Terrible
Personally I love it because of the tactics, and the beauty of a batsman scoring runs, or a bowler peeling the ball away from a wayward stroke. The moments when time stands still and an impossible catch is taken.

The way this game is so incredibly physical and dangerous despite the players never coming into contact. Yet I guess most of all I love the sounds, the crowd roaring, the bat hitting the ball and perhaps best of all the bat hitting the stumps followed by a triumphant roar.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Bowlers. Nothing more beautiful than watching a bowler on fire repeatedly beating the bat in a Test match.

funnygirl

State Regular
Bowlers. Nothing more beautiful than watching a bowler on fire repeatedly beating the bat in a Test match.
U just steal my words out of my mind:) .

Exactly fast bowlers ,i just love them ,the reason i started watching cricket was the most beautiful fast bowler ever called Michael Holding ,continued watching because of an ethereal artist called Wasim Akram ,still watching because of the talent called Dale steyn.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I don't need a reason. I've loved it since I was 3 years old hitting a plastic ball around in my front yard with my plastic cricket bat, and I'll never stop.

Craig

World Traveller
Not sure why. I mean no one in my family likes cricket at all, in fact after 9 news during a Perth Test it is a race to change the channel straight away so how I suddenly came to love it, is weird.

I guess I knew a lot of people who did like cricket and it got me started, and that a lot of people kept making references from my surname to a certain West Indian fast bowler who took 519 Test wickets so I was forced to learn about to have an idea what they are talking about. Started in 95/96, was a bit casual until until the 1999 WC and have been hooked since.

Of course I love the tatical side of things, when I'm watching and a team is on top I just can't help to think what I would do if I were the opposing captain and some of the feats that have happened over the years have astounded me. And then there are people like Steve Waugh who changed how I think from watching him play and reading his books.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
I've had it up to here with All Blacks losing at the world cups, and sick of rugby's disenchantment of their fans. :ph34r:

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
Because I loved the idea of wearing a Harlequin cap, Blazer and scarf for the annual school team portraits.

Flem274*

123/5
I've had it up to here with All Blacks losing at the world cups, and sick of rugby's disenchantment of their fans. :ph34r:
Pah, couldn't care less about rugby.

And yes I hate it because I feel the teenage need to rebel against the norm.:p

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
U just steal my words out of my mind:) .

Exactly fast bowlers ,i just love them ,the reason i started watching cricket was the most beautiful fast bowler ever called Michael Holding ,continued watching because of an ethereal artist called Wasim Akram ,still watching because of the talent called Dale steyn.
It must have been while he was kissin' you.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Is that you Richard? :ph34r:
Nah, I loved it since long before then TBH. 1992 WC. Same as, you know, that tooextracool fellow.

I'd not imagine many people can put their finger on just why - the best I can do is "because I do".

A bit like Smith I've hit a ball around with bat as long as I can remember, always played, and have followed the international game (rather than just England) since 2000/01 too.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Meh. Fills in the summer months when there's no football. :p

I don't know tho, actually. Obviously being English (as opposed to French or American, say) has had a part in it for exposure to the sport at an early age purposes, but quite a lot of English people don't give it the time of day, so it has to be more than that.

The length of the conflict appeals, I have to say. Cricket (and I really mean test cricket here) is a game you inhabit for up to five days at a time. The match ebbs & flows and breathes, one sees battles within battles and often just when a game is drifting there's a moment of magic from a champion player that turns things around & reignites the interest.

The history & respect for tradition appeal to the nostaglic son of Albion in me too; names like Spofforth, Grace, Lohmann or Barnes still have a real meaning for cricket fans that doesn't exist for football fans with association footballers of similar vintage. This is probably in part because cricket is very stats friendly, but also because the game has inspired so much wonderful writing over the years & centuries.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
For me I think it's that beautiful cliche that cricket is a great leveller. Take my own game, for example - one week I took 6/21 off my 10 overs and the next I went for 52 off 10, taking only one wicket in the process. Just when you think you've got it all right, you get brought back down to earth and realise it's a long process to become a good player.

It rewards hard work and dedication while (generally) you require a good technique if you wish to succeed.

And I love the fact that a five-day game can be turned on its head in a matter of 20 minutes.