• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who would you bring back from retirement?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I’d take Border to replace either Wade or Head. 5 and 6 is our weakness at the moment, and AB’s no nonsense leadership would also be handy.

SWaugh would be the same
I would take an inanimate carbon rod over Travis Head

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
It has to be Murali, given the way our spin bowling stocks have gone down the drain. Odd thing is Murali's long presence was one of the reasons for the regression, as it has killed the competition.

It would be beneficial for us to learn how Australia managed to keep their spin stocks up and running despite Warne dominating for one and half decades. Because we will bring a spin bowling star sooner or later. It had been the case since 1960s.

vcs

You were never going to get anyone as good as Murali, Herath was pretty much as good a replacement as anyone could realistically have hoped for.

TheJediBrah

It has to be Murali, given the way our spin bowling stocks have gone down the drain. Odd thing is Murali's long presence was one of the reasons for the regression, as it has killed the competition.

It would be beneficial for us to learn how Australia managed to keep their spin stocks up and running despite Warne dominating for one and half decades. Because we will bring a spin bowling star sooner or later. It had been the case since 1960s.
Did they?

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Obviously people would say Hadlee for NZ, but Clarrie Grimmett (if we could claim him) would add the most to our side.

morgieb

My left-field option was someone like Lawry as adding some defensive steel up top looked a bigger problem than getting a gritty 5 in, but Border and Steve also make sense especially because it resolves the captaincy issue.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
My left-field option was someone like Lawry as adding some defensive steel up top looked a bigger problem than getting a gritty 5 in, but Border and Steve also make sense especially because it resolves the captaincy issue.
Why not Simpson? Opening steel and captaincy with slip catching and decent leg spin thrown in as well.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Did they?
You guys had MacGill and Hogg running hot at least in one form of the game, and then discovered Lyon. We had Herath all the way, but only used him after Murali's retirement. And now we have nothing at all. Only guy who had promise was Suraj Randiv, and I don't know what on earth has happened to him.

morgieb

Why not Simpson? Opening steel and captaincy with slip catching and decent leg spin thrown in as well.
Oh yeah good call. Don't know why I didn't think of him as I rate him higher than Lawry. Also a right-hander which fits Warner better than a leftie.

morgieb

For ODI's I'm saying Symonds - our top-order is good but there's problems with the icing around 5-7 - plus he can bowl OK and is a brilliant fielder.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Martin Crowe, just because it would be so awesome to see him bat alongside Kane.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
You guys had MacGill and Hogg running hot at least in one form of the game, and then discovered Lyon. We had Herath all the way, but only used him after Murali's retirement. And now we have nothing at all. Only guy who had promise was Suraj Randiv, and I don't know what on earth has happened to him.
Lyon kinda burst out of nowhere in a way, Warne was already long gone by the time he made his FC debut. A lot of the spinners around in the meantime domestically weren't flash

Hauritz, Krezja, Casson, Doherty, both Cullens, Heal, even Daniel bloody Doran, all were hyped up as the future at some point, dark days they were

TheJediBrah

Lyon kinda burst out of nowhere in a way, Warne was already long gone by the time he made his FC debut. A lot of the spinners around in the meantime domestically weren't flash

Hauritz, Krezja, Casson, Doherty, both Cullens, Heal, even Daniel bloody Doran, all were hyped up as the future at some point, dark days they were
And they didn't picked the one guy that was averaging low-20s long-term

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oh yeah Australia's ODI side desperately needs two quality hitters in the middle order. Maxwell is too inconsistent and Stoinis is better suited to spectating. Of course one of those needs to be able to bowl ten overs.

It's a pretty different story for our top order where Khawaja can't get a game.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
What? That's a mad choice. We're stocked for bowlers and have Jadeja and the tail generally wags at least a little bit these days.

We'd benefit most from a Gavaskar, Dravid or Sachin - in that order, IMO.
I think a VVS would be more useful - issues around 5/6 imo