• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who would you bring back from retirement?

Tom Flint

International Regular
If you could pick one retired player from your country to return for your current team who would you choose? (Not including bradman.)

I would go for boycott, Hobbs and Hutton may well have been better but too far before my time to judge them.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Imran, probably. A ballsy and dependable batsman would transform the side too so Miandad/YK as well.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Most practically I'd like to have Alastair Cook back, despite late career decline. Hobbs and Hutton being dead might impede their performance, though both good shouts if we're bringing them in fully fit.

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
A prime Chanderpaul, would be so helpful for likes of Hope at 4 and Chase or Hetmyer at 6 to be able to bat alongside him

trundler

Basically every team could use a stodgy batsman. England with Barrington at 3 means Root can go back to his preferred position at 4, there's a talented youngster at 5 and a nigh on ATG all rounder at 6. Border at 5 makes Australia's batting go from Smith out all out to very strong. Pakistan go from woeful to not terrible. India's middle order is strong enough but Gavaskar instead of whoever at the top makes it one of their strongest lineups.

vcs

Yeah this current Indian team would benefit more from a Gavaskar than a Kapil IMO. We could have won or avoided defeat in at least one of our SEN trips in 2018 if Kohli wasn't coming in at 20/2 every other innings.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Obviously the Don.

But if we restrict it to living players, Warne fills the biggest hole in Australia right now. Not that Lyon is bad but Warne is another level. Imagine an attack of Starc, Hazlewood, Cummins and Warne. Nowhere to hide.

ataraxia

International Coach
If you could pick one retired player from your country to return for your current team who would you choose? (Not including bradman.)

I would go for boycott, Hobbs and Hutton may well have been better but too far before my time to judge them.
Obviously the Don.

But if we restrict it to living players, Warne fills the biggest hole in Australia right now. Not that Lyon is bad but Warne is another level. Imagine an attack of Starc, Hazlewood, Cummins and Warne. Nowhere to hide.

TheJediBrah

Obviously the Don.

nah bad call. Obviously Warne is a lot better than Lyon but Lyon does a good enough job that you'd get more benefit from another proper batsman than replacing Lyon with Warne.

Daemon

Kapil/Gavaskar/Tendulkar is a really tough one.

As tempting as it would be to get Kapil, I think our overseas batting is a bigger issue. I’d go with Gavaskar.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Obviously the Don.

I think picking a bowler for Australia is silly. The improvement you'd get from Warne over Lyon isn't anywhere near as big as the improvement you'd get from Chappell (or Ponting or Border or whoever you think the next bat Aussie bat is) over Wade.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I’d take Border to replace either Wade or Head. 5 and 6 is our weakness at the moment, and AB’s no nonsense leadership would also be handy.

SWaugh would be the same