• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who would win a test series between England and West Indies if play started tomorrow?

Who would win?

• Total voters

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha, can't beleive so many people voted for the West Indies. Although TBF, they still had Lara when this poll was made.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Still, writing us off after

a - being crushed by Australia
b - being beaten in a whole load of ODIs, which we've been no good at whilst simultaneously beating most sides in Tests for quite some time

was just silly

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Haha, can't beleive so many people voted for the West Indies. Although TBF, they still had Lara when this poll was made.
Well, even if the did have Lara, he wouldn't have figured in the match yet, given he batted 4 and didn't bowl. His captaincy would have come into it I suppose, but I don't think Sarwan did a lot wrong, nor do I think Lara was very special in that regard anyway.

Perm

Well, even if the did have Lara, he wouldn't have figured in the match yet, given he batted 4 and didn't bowl. His captaincy would have come into it I suppose, but I don't think Sarwan did a lot wrong, nor do I think Lara was very special in that regard anyway.
True that, but I'm pretty sure Lara would have had more of an effect on this series than somebody like Devon Smith will (setting myself up for a Greigy there). It would be interesting to see what the voters would opt for if this poll was conducted a week before the first Test. I bet the West Indies would have received a lot less votes.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I just think it was based around a mass over-reaction following our 5-0 defeat tbh. We're still a very good side.

Perm

I just think it was based around a mass over-reaction following our 5-0 defeat tbh. We're still a very good side.
No doubt about that, and given how dire the West Indies are (especially without Lara) then I can't beleive that 21 people thought that England would lose.

FBU

International Debutant
I think the West Indies batsmen would have all worked out not to play with their pads to Panesar and he wouldn't have picked up many wickets. Harmison and Plunkett wouldn't have got many either and if the weather was fine and there was no delays the West Indies would have gone to lunch with about 120/0. Then Gayle would have started attacking the bowling and they would have been 240/3 at tea with Chanderpaul still at the crease with Gayle. 30 overs left to get 161 at just over 5.00 an over. West Indies win with 5 wickets down. :-O

Perm

I think the West Indies batsmen would have all worked out not to play with their pads to Panesar and he wouldn't have picked up many wickets. Harmison and Plunkett wouldn't have got many either and if the weather was fine and there was no delays the West Indies would have gone to lunch with about 120/0. Then Gayle would have started attacking the bowling and they would have been 240/3 at tea with Chanderpaul still at the crease with Gayle. 30 overs left to get 161 at just over 5.00 an over. West Indies win with 5 wickets down. :-O
Somehow it wouldn't have surprised me. If the weather didn't **** itself, then I would've been backing a Windies victory.

grecian

Somehow it wouldn't have surprised me. If the weather didn't **** itself, then I would've been backing a Windies victory.
Hate to be a pedant, but if the weather wasn't as bad, England may not have declared when they did in either innings.

Perm

Hate to be a pedant, but if the weather wasn't as bad, England may not have declared when they did in either innings.
That is true, but if we were going into the last day with the West Indies needing 400 and there was going to be a guarantee of a full 90 overs being bowled, I'd put a lazy $10 on them.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
That is true, but if we were going into the last day with the West Indies needing 400 and there was going to be a guarantee of a full 90 overs being bowled, I'd put a lazy $10 on them.
400 in 90 overs? I know they did chase above 400 once but it is very improbable. Has only happened once (a team managing to chase over 400 in the 4th inning) AFAIK. India held the record of making the highest runs in the 4th innings to win which was 396 for ages.

Perm

400 in 90 overs? I know they did chase above 400 once but it is very improbable. Has only happened once (a team managing to chase over 400 in the 4th inning) AFAIK. India held the record of making the highest runs in the 4th innings to win which was 396 for ages.
Big ask, but not out of the question. I wouldn't have been backing them, but a bit of money on it would have been interesting.