• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who will win it this time around ?

Who will win it this time around ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Howsie

International Captain
I really think New Zealand can win it this year, just look at there line up:

1.B.McCullum
2.J.Ryder
3.M.Guptill
4.R.Taylor

That top four is really explosive, and in 20/20 you only need one of them to fire and the rest to play minor roles.

5.J.Oram
6.P.McGlashan
7.J.Franklin/N.McCullum

Again all good hitters of the cricket ball, and McGlashan would play the little dinky shot's.

8.D.Vettori
9.K.Mills
10.I.Butler
11.I.O'Brien

That's a fairly good bowling line-up, Vettori is the best 20/20 bowler in the world I feel. Mills is a good ODI bowler, I think he is ranked in the top five. And Ian Butler finds the block-hole quite well. Also Butler and Mills are very good hitters of the cricket ball.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I really think New Zealand can win it this year, just look at there line up:

1.B.McCullum
2.J.Ryder
3.M.Guptill
4.R.Taylor

That top four is really explosive, and in 20/20 you only need one of them to fire and the rest to play minor roles.

5.J.Oram
6.P.McGlashan
7.J.Franklin/N.McCullum

Again all good hitters of the cricket ball, and McGlashan would play the little dinky shot's.

8.D.Vettori
9.K.Mills
10.I.Butler
11.I.O'Brien

That's a fairly good bowling line-up, Vettori is the best 20/20 bowler in the world I feel. Mills is a good ODI bowler, I think he is ranked in the top five. And Ian Butler finds the block-hole quite well. Also Butler and Mills are very good hitters of the cricket ball.

Except that top 4 will hardly ever fire against good quality bowling. I mean god two of them got owned off consecutive balls by Mascarenhas in the IPL. Oram isn't a number 5 and if he's moved to the number 7 slot that means he has to bowl and he has an awful record with the ball in T20.

Howsie

International Captain
Except that top 4 will hardly ever fire against good quality bowling. I mean god two of them got owned off consecutive balls by Mascarenhas in the IPL. Oram isn't a number 5 and if he's moved to the number 7 slot that means he has to bowl and he has an awful record with the ball in T20.
Ok, so you don't like New Zealand.

But for gods sake, it was one ball each. Taylor and Ryder are class players, and Mascarenhas bowled a couple of good balls. And Oram would do just fine batting at five.

Evilhoopler

U19 12th Man
South Africa, Australia, India and Pakistan in the semis with India winning I think.

Australia have lost the plot,
Pakistan are good, but not good enough,
and India are the best twenty20 side tactically and on paper.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I fancy Sri Lanka. But a lot will rest on Jaya and Dilshan with the bat. Bowling looks good with Malinga, Mendis, Murali, that is 12 good overs just there and then chuck in a few other bolters.

Surprised about the votes for South Africa, not a great 20/20 outfit and their record reflects that. Also, not a settled side and lot of questions remain about composition.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I fancy Sri Lanka. But a lot will rest on Jaya and Dilshan with the bat. Bowling looks good with Malinga, Mendis, Murali, that is 12 good overs just there and then chuck in a few other bolters.

Surprised about the votes for South Africa, not a great 20/20 outfit and their record reflects that. Also, not a settled side and lot of questions remain about composition.
Kulasekara too, is number 1 in the ODI bowling rankings at the moment. It's the batting that might be an issue.

Flem274*

123/5
Kulusakera? Jeez he was sneaky, good on him though. SL have a good chance imo, but I think SA will probably win it.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sri Lanka if Malinga keeps up this form.

Sanga needs to be in form come the tournament too. Can't always rely on Dilshan and Jaya.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Have they won many games outside of the WC? Obviously they performed very well there.

I remember they got one flogging in Australia last time they were here. NZ had the better of them. Other "friendlies"?

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
Based on two losses to NZ?

India have got a damn good record, don't they? Or am I imagining this.
Records don't really mean anything. I'm going by what I've seen of them in the format. And I think they're quite poor at it.

Julian87

State Captain
I think most of the test playing nations CAN win this. I reckon if the West Indies pick their best side (including Dwayne Smith in the middle order) they have an outside chance of going a fair way in the tournament. Though I would pick a winner from South Africa, India and Sri Lanka.

Australia should do well, but I think, yet again, they will just pick a one day side carrying the likes of Michael Clarke and Mike Hussey rather than some dominant batsmen who have proved their 20/20 worth.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Have they won many games outside of the WC? Obviously they performed very well there.

I remember they got one flogging in Australia last time they were here. NZ had the better of them. Other "friendlies"?
Yeah but India beat Australia in India in their T20 match.

Hard to read much from those matches I guess.

pasag

RTDAS
Sri Lanka if Malinga keeps up this form.

Sanga needs to be in form come the tournament too. Can't always rely on Dilshan and Jaya.
Yeah they have to use him right though (ie leaving 3/4 overs till the death).

If you've been strangled by M&M and are then forced to score off fast yorkers by Malinga, it's going to be a massacre.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah but India beat Australia in India in their T20 match.

Hard to read much from those matches I guess.
Yeah, playing one offs, or at most two, twenty20 games doesn't really allow you to get into any rhythm playing in the format.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
ICC should introduce World Rankings (and for players).

Most big series now have at least two 20/20 fixtures and given a WC is held nearly every year (next one after this is in the Windies, 2010), it would make some sense.

Briony

International Debutant
England has home advantage, India has depth and in-form performers. Australia is still undecided regarding its potential makeup with confusion as to whether to select the older players or some better performing younger ones. Pakistan is a write off, NZ players are out of form. Bangers are useless as are the other minnows. Windies will be flashy. SA is in the same boat as Australia with players likely to be picked on reputation who don't deserve to be selected. Their bowling looks weak.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Actually I might have been wrong about NZ after the IPL goings on recently.

NZ's top order will actually survive most of the innings (except for Ryder obviously), but instead go at about 3 an over til McCullum finally hits one and holes out.

Flem274*

123/5
Actually I might have been wrong about NZ after the IPL goings on recently.

NZ's top order will actually survive most of the innings (except for Ryder obviously), but instead go at about 3 an over til McCullum finally hits one and holes out.
ur s0 funi