• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who will make a big impact in 2006?

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
From New Zealand, Mccullum just seems to be getting better and better.

I think Fulton will take off, and Bond will make a return.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I did say I liked the look of Tharanga as a batsman in the India/Sri Lanka thread. Why they would prefer Gunawardene again though is beyond me.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Liam Plunkett - Has had a pretty decent series in Pakistan, not just with the ball but of course with the bat, his incredible 56 in the second ODI and his quickfire 24 in the last mathc proved he was capable of one day becoming a great all rounder

AB De Villiers - Great find by the South Africans, maybe just a tad out of form at the moment but when he plays well, he is phenomanal.

Kamran Akmal - Another 'keeper who's good with the gloves and bat, a couple of centuries under his belt earlier in the year are just hints of how good this young 'un is.

... and Mohammed Ashraful. Yeah, tahts right, Bangledeshi Mohammed Ashraful. I have seen things from this lad which does underline the potential of the young cricketers in Bangladesh. He could really prove himself or at least get his name out there in the upcoming tests against the Aussies in 2006

TIF

U19 Debutant
Australia - Hussey, Lee
Bangladesh - Ashraful, Saqibul Hasan
England - Flintoff, Pietersen
India - Dhoni, Pathan
New Zealand - Fulton, Vincent
Pakistan - Afridi, Kamran Akmal
South Africa - Kemp, Prince
Sri Lanka - Dilshan, Tharanga
West Indies - Bravo, Ramdin

younus

Cricket Spectator
Mr

sqwerty said:
2005 had Flintoff, Pietersen and the like with some others like Akmal and Hussey making their mark late in the year.

Who will be the stars of 2006?

For me I'm expecting a big year from the following:

Hussey
Akmal
Pathan
Akhtar
Ponting
Fulton

to name a few
afridi will be a champion in 2006.
from younus.my emial is andaz_apna_1990@yahoo.com

Last edited:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
He edited his message because "he is a good batsman"? At least it's different, I suppose.

Are you expecting Afridi to email you, younus?

tooextracool

International Coach
Tomm NCCC said:
Kamran Akmal - Another 'keeper who's good with the gloves and bat, a couple of centuries under his belt earlier in the year are just hints of how good this young 'un is.
ive certainly been amazed by the improvement hes shown with the bat both technically and temperamentally over the last year. certainly quite a find for pakistan when you consider that hes an above ordinary wicket keeper.

tooextracool

International Coach
Ming said:
Brendon McCullum. This will be the year where he makes a name for himself as a class ODI number 3 and a Test 6.
i certainly hope so, although he hasnt fulfilled anything near his potential so far.

tooextracool

International Coach
Macka said:
how in the world someone with the talent of vincent has failed as miserably as he has over his international career until this year i'll never know. either way hes got a bright future ahead.

Blaze

Banned
tooextracool said:
i certainly hope so, although he hasnt fulfilled anything near his potential so far.

Nor would you expect him to seeing as he is still very young.

tooextracool

International Coach
Tom Halsey said:
I hope not. There's no need to change a winning formula (which admittedly did get derailed slightly in Pakistan, but IMO that was more to do with Jones being out and Gilo having a hip problem)
this winning formula bit is getting a bit old now. every formula needs to be changed and players need to be dropped at some point in time. just because one or 2 players miraculously win a series, it doesnt mean that the players who perform poorly deserve to be excused for doing so.

tooextracool

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
I personally think we'll learn more about Panesar this year. I have an inkling he may make the tour of India (Graveney has tipped him for a "breakthrough" this year, which caught my attention). I've also read that he's been working on his batting with Boof Lehmann this winter, so maybe Big Dunc's creed of multi-purposeness has rubbed off. He has a good few years on most of his serious rivals (I don't consider Loudon a serious option at this stage) &, whilst he does play at a ground normally considered to be conducive to spin, the same can be said of your average Indian track.

I think his best chance of playing is either of the injuries suffered by Ash or Jonah not allowing them to compete in the first test tho.

Less from left-field, but I also tip Salman Butt to have a big summer over here. Like the look of him an awful lot. If Pakistan can find someone to open with him their batting is starting to look quite ominous.
i too would much rather see the likes of panesar or loudon ahead of proven rubbish performers like udal, batty or blackwell.
certainly the point of not giving loudon any chance whatsoever to prove himself in the warm ups and the continual picking of udal no matter what didnt help england in pakistan.

tooextracool

International Coach
Craig said:
Michael Vardot?
what in the world is he doing on the sidelines?
seriously he has one of the better FC records in SL, and he certainly didnt do too badly in his only 2 tests at the international level. certainly the biggest joker, ive seen in a while is the SL selector who came up with the idea of dropping jayasuriya for gunawardene.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
certainly the biggest joker, ive seen in a while is the SL selector who came up with the idea of dropping jayasuriya for gunawardene.
Incase you didn't know, Jayasuriya is injured and is said to be hiding his injury.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
Incase you didn't know, Jayasuriya is injured and is said to be hiding his injury.
Yes. He slipped while reaching for the shampoo - despite having as much hair as Jenna Jameson fresh from a visit to the waxing salon.