• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who will be McGrath's 500th wicket?

Who will be McGrath's 500th wicket

• Andrew Strauss

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Marcus Trescothick

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • Michael Vaughan

Votes: 14 16.3%
  • Graham Thorpe

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Kevin Pieterson

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Andrew Flintoff

• Geriant Jones

• Ashley Giles

• Matthew Hoggard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Simon Jones

• Steve Harmison

• James Anderson

• Robert Key

• Mark Butcher

• Total voters

Link

State Vice-Captain
doubt it, i dont think it will take that long for McGrath to take a wicket. If Butch plays then it will definatly be him

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Top_Cat said:
It *is* cricket chat but is OT for this thread. If you feel it's such an amazingly important discussion, start another thread.
Why, threads don't stay on title-topic for more than a couple of pages - ever. Except *Official* threads, everything goes off title topic and the forum would be wholly boring if they didn't.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
No, all organised matches must have an independant Umpire and scorer.
And non-organised cricket, without the rules being observed, is nothing more than casual impersonation of the sport; that's no slight on it, and it's the case with every other game ever played casually.
So you're telling me the games of senior cricket I played in Dunedin (with players like Evan Marshall, Brendon and Nathan McCullum, Mark Richardson, Stephen Mather and Jordan Sheed) don't count because we didn't have an independent umpire (due to a chronic shortage of umpires), or because our scorer was away?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And a very common occurrance in all levels of club-cricket in most countries in The World.
Still doesn't mean they're inadequate.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Voltman said:
So you're telling me the games of senior cricket I played in Dunedin (with players like Evan Marshall, Brendon and Nathan McCullum, Mark Richardson, Stephen Mather and Jordan Sheed) don't count because we didn't have an independent umpire (due to a chronic shortage of umpires), or because our scorer was away?
Yes I'm afraid to tell you you've never played Cricket in your life.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
And a very common occurrance in all levels of club-cricket in most countries in The World.
Still doesn't mean they're inadequate.
Could you help me work out whether they're inadequate.

Some were definitely biased. Does that mean they're inadequate?
Some called the occasional over a ball short. Does that mean they're inadequate?
Some sledged the bowler back after the bowler sledged them. Does that mean they're inadequate?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Yes I'm afraid to tell you you've never played Cricket in your life.
Gutted - I had my suspicions I was playing glorified rounders but so many people tried to convince me otherwise.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Voltman said:
Gutted - I had my suspicions I was playing glorified rounders but some many people tried to convince me otherwise.
You can come over and play BBQ cricket with us in the park if you like. It's officially sanctioned by the ICC as we have two independent umpires present, an official scoreboard, stands, and charge gate entry.

Bazza's one handed grab off the esky and onto the picnic tables was recently ranked in the top 5 classic catches ever by Inside Cricket magazine and featured on a Cd-Rom released in commemoration.

There's definately the opportunity to go places!

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Son Of Coco said:
You can come over and play BBQ cricket with us in the park if you like. It's officially sanctioned by the ICC as we have two independent umpires present, an official scoreboard, stands, and charge gate entry.

Bazza's one handed grab off the esky and onto the picnic tables was recently ranked in the top 5 classic catches ever by Inside Cricket magazine and featured on a Cd-Rom released in commemoration.

Sounds too much like fun and not much like ''cricket''.

And was Bazza's classic catch the result of an unplayable ball or a poor stroke from the batsman? If it's the latter, Bluey definitely doesn't deserve the wicket. Especially if he had put his beer down at the top of his run-up.

Son Of Coco

Voltman said:
Sounds too much like fun and not much like ''cricket''.

And was Bazza's classic catch the result of an unplayable ball or a poor stroke from the batsman? If it's the latter, Bluey definitely doesn't deserve the wicket. Especially if he had put his beer down at the top of his run-up.
The argument could be made for both actually as the ball cut back in ferociously off a discarded XXXX can, and ricocheted of the edge of Shane's bat as he turned to get another Fosters out of the 'stumps'.

To be fair to Bluey, he was bowling in the corridor of uncertainty, which had widened to about 4 metres after Shane's 7th beer. The council had been around to mow the park the day before though, and all of us are well aware that it's virtually impossible for Bluey to get any movement on a flat deck, so it's highly likely that it was indeed a poor shot on Shane's behalf. Shane's such a good batsmen he should have been able to adjust to the movement off the beer can and deal with it accordingly, even with his back turned.

Did I mention that Bazza was in the esky at the time?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Son Of Coco said:
The argument could be made for both actually as the ball cut back in ferociously off a discarded XXXX can, and ricocheted of the edge of Shane's bat as he turned to get another Fosters out of the 'stumps'.

To be fair to Bluey, he was bowling in the corridor of uncertainty, which had widened to about 4 metres after Shane's 7th beer. The council had been around to mow the park the day before though, and all of us are well aware that it's virtually impossible for Bluey to get any movement on a flat deck, so it's highly likely that it was indeed a poor shot on Shane's behalf. Shane's such a good batsmen he should have been able to adjust to the movement off the beer can and deal with it accordingly, even with his back turned.

Did I mention that Bazza was in the esky at the time?
Well that changes everything...

You mention Shane's ability to handle the moving ball. I thought it might have become somewhat easier for him to get his head in line if he had the natural sway going, as one would after 7 beers.

and all of us are well aware that it's virtually impossible for Bluey to get any movement on a flat deck
Was that a flat deck Hilux? He'll need to turn the key in the ignition to get it moving - or at least, let the handbrake off.

Mister Wright

Son Of Coco said:

I read that issue it was a great catch... :D

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mister Wright said:
So if the Waugh brothers are having a friendly game of backyard cricket does that count as cricket?
I can't imagine them having a friendly game at any time, but if there weren't umpires then it wasn't Cricket!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Son Of Coco said:
So what is Shane's "First Beer Average" then?

Son Of Coco

marc71178 said:
So what is Shane's "First Beer Average" then?
Well, Shane's only been playing since the introduction of the one hand one bounce, so officially he's never actually been dropped. He did get caught by the dog once though and was allowed to bat on under a howl of protest, which eventuated in his being stripped naked and taped to the BBQ shelter uprights.

I guess, given the above evidence, the simple answer to your question is 'about 4:45pm'.

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

Voltman said:
Well that changes everything...

You mention Shane's ability to handle the moving ball. I thought it might have become somewhat easier for him to get his head in line if he had the natural sway going, as one would after 7 beers.

Was that a flat deck Hilux? He'll need to turn the key in the ignition to get it moving - or at least, let the handbrake off.
Very true, Shane's a reknowned alcoholic, so he's been playing the moving ball his whole life. He actually played inside the delivery mentioned before, allowing for more movement than necessary - all picked up with peripheral vision as he had his back turned.