• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who will be McGrath's 500th wicket?

Who will be McGrath's 500th wicket

• Andrew Strauss

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Marcus Trescothick

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • Michael Vaughan

Votes: 14 16.3%
  • Graham Thorpe

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Kevin Pieterson

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Andrew Flintoff

• Geriant Jones

• Ashley Giles

• Matthew Hoggard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Simon Jones

• Steve Harmison

• James Anderson

• Robert Key

• Mark Butcher

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Steulen said:
Oh please.
Tresco edged McGrath once through the slips, that's dismissal #5
A credible LBW was turned down...that's #6...
Need I go on?
Had him missed at slip? Don't remember that. I remember Gillespie having 2 of them missed (1 went between Gilchrist and Warne, the other was dropped by Hayden) but none off McGrath. Don't remember the lbw, either, maybe you could give venues, over-referances, etc?

Steulen

International Regular
The slip (might actually have been gully) one:

1st Test at Brisbane, 2002

2.4 McGrath to Trescothick, no run, good ball takes it high on the bat and martyn takes the ball high to his right but drops the catch

And with the LBW my memory was faulty, it was a 'nearly bowled' one. BTW, McGrath did dismiss Tresco four overs later in near-identical fashion:

2nd Test at Adelaide:
17.1 McGrath to Trescothick, no run, tries to leave one, catches the
bat, nearly onto his stumps

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes, I remember the Martyn one now, don't know how I forgot it.
Nearly bowled isn't much, though. Gillespie should already have had him by both the nearly and the actual.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
We don't know, because we don't know who'd play. But if Butcher was to open with him, I can categorically, certainly, beyond-all-question assure you that Butcher would face first.
How can you be so sure that Butcher would open? What if England fielded first and Trescothick got injured? sheesh!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mister Wright said:
What is it then?
It's a casual impression of cricket, which is played in total lightheartedness without many rules being observed.
It's no slight on anything that it isn't cricket, but it most certainly isn't pure or anything like it.
I think everyone will agree it is cricket.
The lawmakers won't, and they decide what is and isn't cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mister Wright said:
How can you be so sure that Butcher would open? What if England fielded first and Trescothick got injured? sheesh!
I mentioned if Butcher opened with Strauss, then Butcher would face first.
Not that if such-and-such then Butcher would open.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
They do, indeed. Somehow I get the feeling they might not for too much longer.
So we must compile our own records to get the thing right.

Mister Wright

Richard said:
It's a casual impression of cricket, which is played in total lightheartedness without many rules being observed.
It's no slight on anything that it isn't cricket, but it most certainly isn't pure or anything like it.

The lawmakers won't, and they decide what is and isn't cricket.
And therefore is a version of cricket.

Mister Wright

Richard said:
I mentioned if Butcher opened with Strauss, then Butcher would face first.
Not that if such-and-such then Butcher would open.
No you mentioned that it was apsurd to say that Strauss would open if Trescothick was injured, then you went on about Butcher, nobody else even mentioned about replacements or anything of the like. You took a discussion that was more of a joke than anything and decided to make an argument out of it - you cannot help yourself.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mister Wright said:
No you mentioned that it was apsurd to say that Strauss would open if Trescothick was injured, then you went on about Butcher, nobody else even mentioned about replacements or anything of the like. You took a discussion that was more of a joke than anything and decided to make an argument out of it - you cannot help yourself.
err i think he said that if tresco were injured and butcher opened with strauss, butcher would face the first ball.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mister Wright said:
What I said was that it was absurd to assume that Strauss would definately face first if Trescothick was injured; and I then pointed-out that if he were to open with Butcher there is no question Butcher would face first.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
So when it suits you you take their definition, then when it doesn't, you change your mind...
Have I ever denied that "Test-matches" against Bangladesh won't be defined as such?
All I've said is that any fool can tell they don't deserve to be grouped in the same set as matches against Test-class opposition.

Mister Wright

Richard said:
It's not cricket, because it doesn't play by the rules of cricket.
It doesn't need to.

But as long as there is a bat, a ball, some stumps (whether they be a wheelie bin or a bucket) a bowler and a batsman it is cricket.