• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who was the second best West Indian fast bowler?

Who was the second best ever West Indian fast bowler?

• Manny Martindale

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learie Constantine

• Roy Gilchrist

• Charlie Griffith

• Colin Croft

• Courtney Walsh

• Patrick Patterson

• Ian Bishop

• Kemar Roach

• Shannon Gabriel

• Jason Holder

• Total voters

a massive zebra

International Captain
If we accept the commonly held consensus that Malcolm Marshall was the best fast bowler ever produced by the West Indies, who would you rank as the second best?

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Marshall
Sir Curtly
Big Bird
Whispering Death
Courtney Walsh
Andy Roberts
Colin Croft
Ian Bishop
Kemar Roach
Rev Wes Hall
Charlie Griffith
Wayne the big truck Daniels
Patrick Patterson
Jason Holder
Kenny Benjamin
Roy Gilchrist

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Marshall
Sir Curtly
Big Bird
Whispering Death
Courtney Walsh
Andy Roberts
Colin Croft
Ian Bishop
Kemar Roach
Rev Wes Hall
Charlie Griffith
Wayne the big truck Daniels
Patrick Patterson
Jason Holder
Kenny Benjamin
Roy Gilchrist
Winston Benjamin, Merve Dillion, Anderson Cummins, where do you place them?

SillyCowCorner1

Winston Benjamin, Merve Dillion, Anderson Cummins, where do you place them?
Winston Benjamin probably above Kenny
Dillon a few rungs down...I honestly don't know a thing about Anderson Cummins.

I'd also like to add Sylvester Clarke, Winston Davis.

tony p

First Class Debutant
Top 3 are pretty much clear

Marshall
Ambrose
Garner

Holding vs walsh for the 4th spot
i would agree with this, followed by

roberts
hall
martindale
clarke

martindale bowled a bodyline attack to jardine in england in 1933.( jardine getting his only test hundred against it), the authorities saw it, and outlawed it, so martindale was pretty quick.
clarke was probably the most feared bowler in county cricket in the 1980s, so much so that due to qualifing regulations that existed at the time, only one overseas player could play for surrey, despite also having another west indian in tony gray on the books, only one could play in a county match at any one time.
batsman of the day always looked at the surrey team list before play, and were delighted to see gray's name on the team sheet instead of clarke, that's how feared here was.

walsh was the last really great west indies fast bowler.

the likes of roach, gabriel and holder unfortunately don't hold a candle to the great bowlers of the past, just the occasional good day, not good series.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Although not a candidate for second best, Wayne Daniel was a far better bowler than many on the list and others mentioned in the thread. Clive Lloyd had some sort of grudge against him.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Winston Benjamin probably above Kenny
Dillon a few rungs down...I honestly don't know a thing about Anderson Cummins.

I'd also like to add Sylvester Clarke, Winston Davis.
Cummins is better known by his exclusion from the Test against S.Africa 1992. This instigated a boycott protest by the Barbadians. One spectator expressed the sentiments of many with the creative sign " No Cummins, no goings "
He is also the 2nd cricketer to have played for 2 different countries in a World Cup (W.Indies and Canada). Kepler Wessels was the other (Australia, S.Africa)

kingkallis

International Coach
Top 10 Caribbean Fast Bowlers, IMO:

Malcolm Marshall
Curtly Ambrose
Micheal Holding
Joel Garner
Courtney Walsh
Andy Roberts
Colin Croft
Wes Hall
Sylvester Clarke
Ian Bishop

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
After some of the tripe written in the batsman countdown thread I was expecting someone to say that the West Indies fast bowlers of the mid 70’s to mid 80’s are overrated because they didn’t have to bowl to their own batting line up.

trundler

After some of the tripe written in the batsman countdown thread I was expecting someone to say that the West Indies fast bowlers of the mid 70’s to mid 80’s are overrated because they didn’t have to bowl to their own batting line up.
Still early in Australia