• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is your favourite cricketer?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
open365 said:
I would have to dis-agree with you there. I think Tedulkar is untouchable at his peak, even against Lara.

I've been watching youtube videos of him the past 3 days, and the ability he has IMO, surpasses everyone in world cricket bar Bradman.

Everything about him is incredible, he treats Brett Lee like Brett Dorey, his balance is unprecidented and his ability to straight drive any bowler is something that sets him apart IMO.

I think the definition of batting should be changed to 'The art of impersonating Sachin Ramesh tendulkar' because he has the best technique, balance, hand eye co-ordination and reflexes. I allways thought before watching him bat that people were over exagerating when they say 'that shot took my breath away' but now i know it can acctualy be true.
Honest men can differ, as they say. :)

For me tho, Sachin (possibly because he is such a largely textbook correct player) lacks the improvisational genius of Lara, it looks almost as if BCL can dispatch any ball to the boundary in any way he chooses. When in the groove Lara is disdainful of attacks in a way Sachin isn't quite. Sachin is obviously the more consistent, but at the absolute zenith of their games Lara is the king for mine.

ClownSymonds

U19 Vice-Captain
And at the absolute zenith of his game, Lara hit 375 and 501 NOT OUT and later 400 NOT OUT IN A TEST, against the English Ashes attack (minus Giles). Surely Sachin had/has the potential to do the same, but 248* remains his highest score in both tests and first class matches, and we do like to judge people by their results.

I think I might like to add Shivnarine Chanderpaul to my list.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Tendulkar for me.

Honourable mentions to Corky, Warney, di Venuto, Reiffel, Murali, Sreesanth and Munaf the greatest pair since Charters and Caldicott, still like Clown even though he didn't sign for Clown, Mark Taylor, Monty, Fanie...oh dash it the list is endless.

I do not like Gooch, Gatting, Afridi, Ponting to name but a few.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
ClownSymonds said:
And at the absolute zenith of his game, Lara hit 375 and 501 NOT OUT and later 400 NOT OUT IN A TEST, against the English Ashes attack (minus Giles). Surely Sachin had/has the potential to do the same, but 248* remains his highest score in both tests and first class matches, and we do like to judge people by their results.
And that 400* cost them a chance of winning the game

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
BoyBrumby said:
Honest men can differ, as they say. :)

For me tho, Sachin (possibly because he is such a largely textbook correct player) lacks the improvisational genius of Lara,
Yea, I would say I agree with that. I guess its all in what you look for. He is very textbook correct player, but in a very attacking mode, which is why I love him.

You could potentially tell players to copy Sachins technique, but with Lara you would say 'Uhh, don't try this at home.'

Still though, sachin's game is just so......beautiful (and I don't use that word often, except when I'm describing Jessica Alba).

ClownSymonds

U19 Vice-Captain
Goughy said:
How many sides does your coin have :laugh:
Seven. There's also Prosper and Blessing. And Kennedy, too... Maybe eight then. I do like the idea of a spherical coin though.

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
All Time Favourite: Adam Craig Gilchrist
Other Favourite Players: Shane Bond, Brett Lee, Brian Lara, Kevin Pieterson, Mark Boucher.
Disliked Players: Shahid Afridi, Muttiah Muralitharan, Marvan Atapattu, Inzamam ul-Haq, Kamran Akmal, Herschelle Gibbs, Matthew Hayden, Paul Collingwood

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Favourite Player ever: Brian Lara
Currently Favourite: Andrew Flintoff

Other favourites would be, Lee, Akhtar, Gilchrist, Tendulkar, McGrath, Warne, Gough, Hayden, Afridi, Klusener, Pietersen

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Murali.......................................................................................................................................................Karthik