• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the greatest ODI bowler of all time?

Jayro

U19 12th Man
Tell me how was Fannie-de villiers? The brief time he played I think I never saw anyone restricting a batsman more even Tendulkar when he looked like most fluent batsmen used to go into a shell playing him.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The top 4 in that article are quite balanced in terms of what they offer to an ODI attack.

McGrath - Tall and extremely accurate right-arm seamer.
Wasim - Left-arm how-the-****-did-he-do-that swing bowler.
Lee - Speedster
Murali - Freak spinner who can tie you down + take wickets.

Little bit of everything.
It makes me twitch a bit to see Lee included amongst such luminaries.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Tell me how was Fannie-de villiers? The brief time he played I think I never saw anyone restricting a batsman more even Tendulkar when he looked like most fluent batsmen used to go into a shell playing him.
He was very good. Underrated in ODI game especially. Took mantle of Craig Mathews, but much more ***y in the way he went about it.

Himannv

International Coach
It makes me twitch a bit to see Lee included amongst such luminaries.
Yes, I think most will agree that there are better bowlers, but he brings in something that none of the others have so he contributes to the balance of the bowling attack. I'm slightly biased because I think having a genuine quick in the attack adds a little something extra to an ODI bowling attack. Probably that's not a view that'd be held by all.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Brett Lee was one of the greatest ODI bowlers of all time there is no doubt in that. Putting him down in OD cricket just because he didn't achieve the same heights in test cricket is pretty dire.
He regularly went at 5s+ in a far less heavy scoring era. Was terrible at the death for the most part. Terrific up front though. Not fit to carry Akram or McGrath's jockstrap in any format tbh.

Plus he's a Tory and therefore gets marked done for being a ****.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
you can't go wrong with this attack for an all-time one day bowling attack:

mcgrath
hadlee
ambrose
akram
murali

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
He regularly went at 5s+ in a far less heavy scoring era. Was terrible at the death for the most part. Terrific up front though. Not fit to carry Akram or McGrath's jockstrap in any format tbh.

Plus he's a Tory and therefore gets marked done for being a ****.
isn't mcgrath also a conservative?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
you can't go wrong with this attack for an all-time one day bowling attack:

mcgrath
hadlee
ambrose
akram
murali
I sorta think:

Tendulkar
Gilchrist
Richards
Kohli
Ponting
DeVilliers
Kapil
Wasim
Garner
Murali
McGrath

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
You forgot Symonds. :ph34r:
Ponting’s spot is the one I ponder about most in my XI. I like Symonds there, also like Hussey there. Clive Lloyd is another possibility. Be ideal to slot a left hander in there too.

I’ll happily take Roy though ?