• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the better bowler ?

Who is the better bowler ?

• James Anderson

Votes: 17 77.3%
  • Trent Boult

Votes: 5 22.7%

• Total voters

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Don't forget that Boult is currently only the 4th best bowler in the NZ team (and therefore has more competition for wickets).

AndersonBoult
Australia104 @ 34.5723 @ 41.70
Bangladesh9 @ 24.7828 @ 27.64
Englandn/a48 @ 24.69
India118 @ 25.3036 @ 29.53
New Zealand60 @ 26.83n/a
Pakistan74 @ 19.3129 @ 20.86
South Africa93 @ 31.5316 @ 39.88
Sri Lanka58 @ 22.1945 @ 22.33
West Indies87 @ 22.6148 @ 25.00
Zimbabwe11 @ 20.278 @ 23.13
NZ's premier bowler of the modern era has the following numbers:
Australia: 24 @ 23.04
Bangladesh: 33 @ 18.66
India: 18 @ 28.5
Pakistan: 16 @ 24.25
South Africa: 22 @ 30.50
Sri Lanka: 18 @ 33.50
West Indies: 40 @ 28.10
Zimbabwe: 11 @ 17.00

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't forget that Boult is currently only the 4th best bowler in the NZ team (and therefore has more competition for wickets).

NZ's premier bowler of the modern era has the following numbers:
Australia: 24 @ 23.04
Bangladesh: 33 @ 18.66
India: 18 @ 28.5
Pakistan: 16 @ 24.25
South Africa: 22 @ 30.50
Sri Lanka: 18 @ 33.50
West Indies: 40 @ 28.10
Zimbabwe: 11 @ 17.00
Not sure who that is, guessing either Wagner or Southee, but those numbers are pretty meh tbh. Looks like some heavy minnow-bashing too.

There would obviously still be need for a toss because chasing is drastically different to setting a target and teams will have preferences

Is this an exhibit on how many times Flem can be wrong In a thread?
Is this really necessary? Especially since he isn't actually wrong about any of his facts. Say what you want about his anti-Jimmy agenda at least he's using facts to support it rather than making things up.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Wagner. Better numbers than Anderson's and he has to use the old ball. Also 37 wickets in 9 tests at 30.02 vs England.

All of that minnow bashing of Steve Smith ...

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wagner. Better numbers than Anderson's and he has to use the old ball. Also 37 wickets in 9 tests at 30.02 vs England.

All of that minnow bashing of Steve Smith ...
Come on, his best 2 averages by far are Zim and Ban and they make up a large chunk of his wickets too. Definitely more minnow-bashy than most. His stats aren't anything special at all, which is all I'm saying.

A lot of his wickets against Aus have been declaration-ish slogging too, but still credit to him for being a lot better than the other NZ bowlers in those games.

Last edited:

CodeOfWisden

U19 Debutant
Anderson by a mile and a half.
Even when he is not getting wickets he keeps the economy in check.
In suitable conditions he can run through lineups consistently, i don't get the same level of assurance with Boult.
Also Anderson has improved considerably in the last few years?

Jack1

International Debutant
There’s a glitch on the thread from mobile I can’t see the op. The first post comes up as from karan
. Difficult to presume they have played the same amount when they haven’t

actually I must have ignored him for some reason so didn’t see op. I’ll have to remove ignores so that doesn’t happen again

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
There’s a glitch on the thread from mobile I can’t see the op. The first post comes up as from karan
. Difficult to presume they have played the same amount when they haven’t

actually I must have ignored him for some reason so didn’t see op. I’ll have to remove ignores so that doesn’t happen again
It is a silly thing to assume when longevity plays such a big factor in rating who is better.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
something clouds the judgement of the anderson brigade on this forum and i can’t put my finger on weather it’s just nationalistic ties or if the imperialist complex of the brits makes them want to rain supreme
This seams to be swinging a few opinions.