• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the best upcoming player?

steds

Hall of Fame Member
wackyadz06 said:
what you think of ed joyce
Hasn't done anything of any note in his ODI performances so far, and that leave the other day was laughably idiotic.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Panesar is the best up and coming player of the current crop. He's the first genuine spin talent England have had for a long time. Much better than that Giles bloke. I don't understand why they don't play him in one-dayers...:huh:

tooextracool

International Coach
shortpitched713 said:
Panesar is the best up and coming player of the current crop. He's the first genuine spin talent England have had for a long time. Much better than that Giles bloke. I don't understand why they don't play him in one-dayers...:huh:
probably because he cant bat or field?
When it comes to ODIs his bowling isnt significantly better than Giles, Yardy, Dalrymple and the rest all of whom are much better fielders and batsmen.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
And? He still isn't a must-pick for the SA first XI. Pietersen is a certain starter for England. Hence, established. Worth noting that Neil McKenzie has played 23 more Tests than Pietersen. For that matter, Ramprakash has played 34 more.
Its interesting that you state that Pietersen is a certain starter, hence cant be amongst the 'up and coming' and then include mohammad Asif, whos probably the first bowler on the pakistan team sheet in both forms of the game, on your list

adharcric

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
In what way is Hussey up-and-coming (or upcoming)?
Why don't you define what "up-and-coming" means for all of us? Certainly don't seem very sure of it yourself based on the players you listed there.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Most promising "younger" players that I've seen recently

Asif
Mahmood (tall, quick and only needs experience to be a real handful)
Mitchell Johnson (as for Mahmood but left handed and swings it)
Bravo (more experienced than the others but that's because he's played in a horrible team and was selected before he was ready)

Panesar is promising but at the end of the day is "only" a left hand orthodox spinner - that's not enough to have top quality players shaking in their boots

tooextracool

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
I'd say Pietersen was established.. When you're being compared to Viv Richards, thats a sign you are no longer a n00b..
actually a lot of people- bob willis and david lloyd in particular were comparing him to viv richards even before he set foot in the test arena. the number of people that yelled "Viv" after his front foot hook for 6 off gillespie in the ODIs last summer were probably a fair few. Not that he deserves to be compared to Sir Viv of course, considering that he hasnt accomplished anything in his career yet.

tooextracool

International Coach
Just to throw in 2 other names:
Owais Shah- was quite impressed from the little that i saw of him on the tour of India, and he just offers something different to the England. He might not literally be an 'up and coming' player as who knows how long he might have to wait for his next crack in the test arena but he certainly has potential.
Mohammad Hafeez- Ive liked the look of Hafeez, the moment he scored that 69 in the natwest challenge 3 years ago. He has one of the better techniques for a pakistan opener and a very sound temperament. I certainly think he has some serious talent if only he goes on to fulfill it.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
[NZ Fan Bias]Ryder, Taylor, Gillespie, Fulton, J McMillan, N McCullum, J Patel, J How[/NZ Fan Bias]

shortpitched713

International Captain
tooextracool said:
probably because he cant bat or field?
When it comes to ODIs his bowling isnt significantly better than Giles, Yardy, Dalrymple and the rest all of whom are much better fielders and batsmen.
I'll give you Giles being more useful in ODIs than Monty, but as for the other two I'm not fully convinced that they deserve a spot as sole spinner on the team. They both bat well, but from what I've seen Dalrymple looks distinctly ordinary with the ball. Yardy looks to have potential with the ball, but I don't think we've seen enough of him at this level to make a judgement. Anyways, as Giles' fitness is up in the air, I don't think I would be too comfortable going with only one decentish spinner, especially on pitches that might turn more.

In any case, you can't say that Monty deserves a spot less than the waste of space Mahmood.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Asif is daylight ahead of Bell, Cook and all the other up-and-coming players who apparently only reside in England or Pakistan.

Pietersen and Hussey are well-established in my book. I would say Bravo too, but it wasn't that long ago he was left out of a test against Australia, so I guess Bravo is still up and coming, and if that's the case he's there alongside Asif.

social

NZTailender said:
[NZ Fan Bias]Ryder, Taylor, Gillespie, Fulton, J McMillan, N McCullum, J Patel, J How[/NZ Fan Bias]
Of the guys I've seen, Fulton looked good but the Kiwis simply dont play enough to get a roll on.

social

Dale Steyn is another young bowler with heaps of potential.

Cook obviously has a good temperament - will be interesting to see whether technical deficiencies bite him in the near future.

Only saw India vs Eng B and they were generally horrible so no youngster caught the eye.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Who would have thought England had half the up and coming players in the world?

Anyway, Johnson certainly warrants mention for Australia. Everyone's raving about him at the moment, and if he had a good enough run in the ODIs ahead he could even play test cricket in the Ashes. Asif is obviously the most likely to be a big star of all the new guys in international cricket.

Last edited:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Jimmy McMillan is sadly too injury-prone to be an international prospect. A real shame, because if he did make it, I could claim I've hit an international bowler back over his head (admittedly it was 7 years ago).

Nathan McCullum's a tidy limited-overs bowler, but Patel is always going to have the inside running on him, although Mattress is a bit better with the bat.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I think it's simply the fact that they've had to play so many youngsters. Obviously they'll be talented, but everyone else's young players would also show talent if they had the chance. It's just that through injury, these players HAVE been given the chance to show their wares to the world.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
For Australia, Doug Bollinger - Left Arm, Tall and Rapid but very raw. was picked in the extended squad for the Champions Trophy so they must have their eye on him.

Some earlier posts compared Pietersen's and Richards' records at the same stage of their careers and said they were almost identical. These things can be deceptive - I remember Jimmy Adams averaging 70 after 18 tests. Pietersen's a good player but hasn't had the time to be worked out yet. Of course, he may not be that easy to work out in the long run.......

Of the others Asif looks great - beyond his years in maturity.