• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who do you think will replace Ganguly?

Who will replace Ganguly for the first Test against England?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kingkallis

International Coach
Well, Yuvraj has a very very weak technique of playing spin but he is a proven match winner so he atleast 1 more chance since SCG has retired!

Mohammad Kaif should be tested as well! He did play well against the Aussies in their last trip to India and scored a ton against Windows on their own soil as well!

masterblaster

International Captain
Poor Badrinath :(

Will miss out again to Yuvraj Singh, who will probably do well enough against the Indian pace bowlers but will continue to get owned if Monty Panesar plays.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yuvraj will now play, although he shouldn't, but nevertheless i expect him to be a reasonable success in the two tests against England. In the long run, he'll struggle unless he improves a hell of a lot.

quick4mindia

School Boy/Girl Captain
IMO Raina should get it. He has certainly become a better batsman after spending few seasons in domestic cricket. Rohit Sharma needs to spend at least one more season in Ranji trophy to stake a claim for Ganguly's spot.
Raina's game has improved for both the versions of the game (and for T 20 also ). He was talented but somehow not getting it big.

The biggest change i have noticed is the power in his shots after his comeback. Earlier he used to struggle to clear the ropes on bigger grounds.....now this certainly is not any problem. His approach/temperament all looks pretty improved and noticable.

I think it should be between Badrinath and Raina now.....Sharma is a good batsman .....may be a few more seasons in ranji will do good to him. With aging stars making exit....there will me room to accomodate more than one player in the middle order.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Another Indian selection ****-up. Yujrav failed against Oz, and he'll most likely fail here.
I don't think he's test standard, either.

adharcric

International Coach
Badrinath better ton up for TN soon to have any shot against Yuvraj, who's absolutely lighting it up in the one-day format. Raina's still in with a chance as Yuvraj's previous test form certainly may count against him. Badrinath supporters (including myself) really can't complain either - he's earned a call-up based on heaps and heaps of domestic runs but you can't blame the selectors for staying clear of a man in poor form. He's really struggled since that gritty knock on ODI debut against Sri Lanka.

EDIT: Just made a century against UP.

Last edited:

Precambrian

Banned
Srikanth said:
"I see Yuvi as a potential match-winner in Tests too. Over the years, he has already shown he's a match-winner in ODIs,"
That's a joke. Surely.

Feel so bad for Badri. Two yardsticks for two guys. The system sux.

IndGunner

First Class Debutant
That's a joke. Surely.

Feel so bad for Badri. Two yardsticks for two guys. The system sux.
Not really a joke im sure he could be a match winner in some match but his consistency in producing said knock would be the actual reason as we all know hes talented.

Precambrian

Banned
Not really a joke im sure he could be a match winner in some match but his consistency in producing said knock would be the actual reason as we all know hes talented.
There cannot be a matchwinning batsman in Test matches. It's OK in ODIs, where you don't need to take all the wickets of the opposition. Of all people, Krish should be knowing that.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Since it is a left hander, one would have said Yuvraj or Raina but as far as the game is concerned I think Rohit is at the head of the queue. Badrinath has not made the best of his chances irrespective of how much the Indian fan favours him at the moment. His chance will come again but not immediately I suspect.

Yuvraj needs to do well in the odi's and more importantly become the pillar in the middle order with such a gap after Sehwag and Gambhir. He is the most experienced batsman in the middle order. He needs to work with the youngsters around him and show he can play a different game. If he does, he will come in to the Test side once again, Then if he fails, its curtains for him.

By the way, Murali Vijay looked very good indeed in that last Test. He could be a big surprise package. Where have they been hiding him ?
This was the key for Yuvraj. It was his ultimate Test and he has come through it in two completely different situations in the two games. In the first he consolidated on a great start and how. In the second he first built up the innings after a faltering start and then attacked. It would be impossible for any selector to ignore his claims after this. He has done more than what may have been asked of him so he has made his case.

Howsoever much his record in Test matches, his problem against quality spinners and against lateral movement may be held against him, its not easy to ignore current form at international level (even if the format is different) and this is not just good form, this is devastatingly good form.

Having said that, he is lucky England hasn't put up any quality spinners for him to play against. There were two bouncers bowled at him, in succession, in the first game and it was impossible not to notice what happened. Yuvraj ducked from his shoulders with his head tucked in and looking at the ground (I suppose his eyes must have been shut) while his hands waived the bat across the line of the ball in a reflex response. The bat hit the ball and it went to the boundary. The bowler must have been encouraged by the way Yuvraj reacted and bowled another short one next ball. Yuvraj, this time didn't duck but turned his head away, facing square-leg before the ball had reached him and swung a 'blind bat' across the line of the ball. This time he made better contact than the previous ball and it went to the boundary again. As far as I recall, no more bouncers were aimed at him. I think this was an error.

Yuvraj will murder medium pace to fast medium bowling unless there is lateral movement on a wicket with reasonable bounce. He has to be tested by quality spin or great pace and/or some lateral movement if he is to be tested. Many teams do not have such attacks and there are many grounds where lateral movement is negligible. This will always enable him to score runs and quickly. Its the presence of spin, great pace and lateral movement that will keep exposing him and hence his inconsistency at Test level.

krkode

State Captain
There cannot be a matchwinning batsman in Test matches. It's OK in ODIs, where you don't need to take all the wickets of the opposition. Of all people, Krish should be knowing that.
When speaking of match-winning, we don't need to get into that "batsmen don't win matches, bowlers do" debate again, cuz we know where that'll go. :p I'm sure what Srikkanth meant was that he has the potential to play a contributory role in matches that we win. Whether he is the sole "match-winner" is ultimately irrelevant as long as we win the game and he made a decent contribution with the bat somehow.

But like Gunner said, Yuvraj does have the potential. But whether or not he can do it with any consistency, we will have to see. "Consistency" with respects to ODIs and Tests are two different things and unfortunately one does not imply or transfer into the other.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I HATE THIS

:mad2:

What does it say about how highly the selectors think about domestic cricket when some random guy, who has been given chances for eight years now, keeps getting picked over one of the most prolific run scorers of FC cricket?

Why should cricketers even bother doing well in FC cricket? I hate this crap.

If Yuvi wants to make a case for his selection in TESTS, go back and score some centuries in FC cricket son. Learn to play some spin, and come back and make a case that way. This obsession with how people do in U-19s and other meaningless tournaments is ridiculous.

If I were Badrinath, I'd be making a call to ICL right about now. As should all the top FC cricketers who missed the U-19 boat. Because obviously, if you aren't scoring or taking wickets at 19, you're never getting into the national side. So might as well make some money.

Precambrian

Banned
I HATE THIS

:mad2:

What does it say about how highly the selectors think about domestic cricket when some random guy, who has been given chances for eight years now, keeps getting picked over one of the most prolific run scorers of FC cricket?

Why should cricketers even bother doing well in FC cricket? I hate this crap.

If Yuvi wants to make a case for his selection in TESTS, go back and score some centuries in FC cricket son. Learn to play some spin, and come back and make a case that way. This obsession with how people do in U-19s and other meaningless tournaments is ridiculous.

If I were Badrinath, I'd be making a call to ICL right about now. As should all the top FC cricketers who missed the U-19 boat. Because obviously, if you aren't scoring or taking wickets at 19, you're never getting into the national side. So might as well make some money.
100% AWTA.

I guess Badri will give himself one season, or two, before he packs his bags for ICL. Though I think it will depend on
1. ICL's existence
2. What Badri is getting from IPL.

That's regarding the money part.

But what about satisfaction? Everyone knows he's test class, but he's not playing. Everyone knows Yuvraj is not test class, and he's in.

So much for media hype, Kris, well done playing to the gallery, now watch for another set of telephone numbers at No.6.