• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who do you think will replace Ganguly?

Who will replace Ganguly for the first Test against England?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Precambrian

Banned
When speaking of match-winning, we don't need to get into that "batsmen don't win matches, bowlers do" debate again, cuz we know where that'll go. :p I'm sure what Srikkanth meant was that he has the potential to play a contributory role in matches that we win. Whether he is the sole "match-winner" is ultimately irrelevant as long as we win the game and he made a decent contribution with the bat somehow.

But like Gunner said, Yuvraj does have the potential. But whether or not he can do it with any consistency, we will have to see. "Consistency" with respects to ODIs and Tests are two different things and unfortunately one does not imply or transfer into the other.
There is nothing that Yuvraj has done in the ODIs so far which should earn him a place in Tests. With due respect to the pace attack of England, they are virtually toothless on Indian pitches like Rajkot and to an extent at Indore. I am not discounting anything from his performance, but his primary flaws, lack of back foot game to deal with balls on the off stump, plus his huge backlift which often lands him in trouble against the spinning and bouncing deliveries, still remain. And considering he'll be coming in at No.6, he;ll be all the more exposed to the weary ball.

This may sound ridiculous, but if at all Yuvraj is to become a proper average test bat, he needs to bat at positions 1, 2 or 3 max. Unless he's become totally another player technique wise in the last one year, or to be precise, from the SL series till now, I don't see him having a long go at No.5 or No.6.

krkode

State Captain
There is nothing that Yuvraj has done in the ODIs so far which should earn him a place in Tests. With due respect to the pace attack of England, they are virtually toothless on Indian pitches like Rajkot and to an extent at Indore. I am not discounting anything from his performance, but his primary flaws, lack of back foot game to deal with balls on the off stump, plus his huge backlift which often lands him in trouble against the spinning and bouncing deliveries, still remain. And considering he'll be coming in at No.6, he;ll be all the more exposed to the weary ball.

This may sound ridiculous, but if at all Yuvraj is to become a proper average test bat, he needs to bat at positions 1, 2 or 3 max. Unless he's become totally another player technique wise in the last one year, or to be precise, from the SL series till now, I don't see him having a long go at No.5 or No.6.
I agree about the whole Badrinath issue, btw. I am completely in favor of choosing Badrinath over Yuvraj. His turn is long long overdue. (In fact, I have a disdain for people who play on Indian pitches with FC averages below 50...eeww.) ;) I am merely stating that Yuvraj has potential, which is patently undeniable. I don't think he has more than Badrinath, though, whom I would very much like to see in Ganguly's spot.

Yuvraj can vie for Dravid's spot, for all I care, although I have a feeling guys like Vijay/Raina will trump him for that. Maybe he should shoot for Laxman's or Tendulkar's spot a few years down the line.

I had always hoped Yuvraj would turn into India's very own Bevan... I don't really think he belongs in our test side at the moment and hopefully that's a good thing if we're keeping batsmen of reasonable quality out of the side because we're just that good.

Last edited:

Precambrian

Banned
I agree about the whole Badrinath issue, btw. I am completely in favor of choosing Badrinath over Yuvraj. His turn is long long overdue. (In fact, I have a disdain for people who play on Indian pitches with FC averages below 50...eeww.) ;) I am merely stating that Yuvraj has potential, which is patently undeniable. I don't think he has more than Badrinath, though, whom I would very much like to see in Ganguly's spot.

Yuvraj can vie for Dravid's spot, for all I care, although I have a feeling guys like Vijay/Raina will trump him for that. Maybe he should shoot for Laxman's or Tendulkar's spot a few years down the line.

I had always hoped Yuvraj would turn into India's very own Bevan... I don't really think he belongs in our test side at the moment and hopefully that's a good thing if we're keeping batsmen of reasonable quality out of the side because we're just that good.
Yup and Pujara is also becoming a name to reckon with. Good to see so many youngsters lining up.

However we certainly need Tendulkar and Laxman to go a little bit more distance before the youngsters can be given complete command.

Vroomfondel

U19 12th Man
I think Krish would be the first to keep his eyes open to another TN player for the top order (come now, nothing wrong with it as long as they have the guts -- no SS Das/Jaffer types please).

But it would be doing Badri a great disservice to bring him into the squad right now when he's struggling for runs. If he fails, there is very little chance that he will get another look with Rohit, Raina, Kaif and now Pujara breathing down his neck. Badri should be looked at as the successor to Dravid after his (now imminent) retirement.

The selectors missed the boat with him. His purple patch is done, and he is now scratching around for FC runs. No use crying about it now...he will be back, I'm sure, but it's best to let him rebuild in FC and bring him into the fold later. Who knows, by then, there may be 2 middle order spots open (if Yuvraj fails as many expect him to).

Precambrian

Banned
I think Krish would be the first to keep his eyes open to another TN player for the top order (come now, nothing wrong with it as long as they have the guts -- no SS Das/Jaffer types please).

But it would be doing Badri a great disservice to bring him into the squad right now when he's struggling for runs. If he fails, there is very little chance that he will get another look with Rohit, Raina, Kaif and now Pujara breathing down his neck. Badri should be looked at as the successor to Dravid after his (now imminent) retirement.

The selectors missed the boat with him. His purple patch is done, and he is now scratching around for FC runs. No use crying about it now...he will be back, I'm sure, but it's best to let him rebuild in FC and bring him into the fold later. Who knows, by then, there may be 2 middle order spots open (if Yuvraj fails as many expect him to).
Badri struggling for runs? Do you follow domestic cricket? He just hit a century against UP a day back.

Vroomfondel

U19 12th Man
Badri struggling for runs? Do you follow domestic cricket? He just hit a century against UP a day back.
yes, he is struggling for runs which is quite obvious if you follow domestic cricket in the past month.

he scratched around in the Irani's for 100 ball 20's and 30's against a quality Delhi attack. failed in the challengers (fine odi tournament, disregard if you like). There are a bunch of other notable failures against good Ranji sides (also a couple against NZL A/Aus A, and another failure with BP XI against the Australians).

I missed the UP century, and yes it's his first significant score in 10-15 high profile innings. Although one wonders about the quality of the attack when KKD scores his highest first class score ever (215) ?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
In related news, Dravid didn't do much in his knock in the Ranji. Was dismissed pretty early in his favoured manner - inside edging.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
i think the selectors are desperate to have yuvi in there, sharma has a tonne of potential, but needs to be more consistent, badrinath looked like the next in line until recently, raina is probably the most seasoned of the contenders apart from yuvi, and like someone previously mentioned, what has happened to kaif ???

wouldn't be the first time someone is selected on young raw talent though, vijay to come in at 3 or open, also look for sehwag to drop down a bit maybe as he takes on more bowling after the australian series (although he is a matchwinner at the top)

it could well be (if this happens)

Gambhir
Vijay
Laxman
Tendulkar
Sehwag
Yuvraj

or gambhir, sehwag, dravid/vijay, tendulkar, laxman, yuvi if they don't go for this option... i just noticed how sehwag failed the more bowling he did, and he's too valuable for that.

dravid is gone as well... or should be... champion all the same

G.I.Joe

International Coach
No way Sehwag is dropping down the order. He's done really well at the top, plus the partnership with Gambhir is yielding rich dividends. Don't fix what ain't broke.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I am not surprised. I find that Badrinath is a bigger favourite on CC than in the wider space. It could be because the general public is a bit more flexible (fickle if you want to be uncharitable) while on CC we tend to hold our once expressed opinions much tighter and are more reluctant to change :)
Or, more likely, they are just more ignorant. :D

Rant0r

International 12th Man
No way Sehwag is dropping down the order. He's done really well at the top, plus the partnership with Gambhir is yielding rich dividends. Don't fix what ain't broke.
i'd rather he not, but i think they would be considering it, don't forget he started as a middle order batsman, and he would succeed anywhere really, but if his bowling is going to continue to be more than handy, then they need to think about it.

krkode

State Captain
I hope they don't make Sehwag take on Tendulkar's role as the main middle order guy just because he's the senior-most batsman among the younger group of players. It would ruin his game, IMO. :(

Precambrian

Banned
I hope they don't make Sehwag take on Tendulkar's role as the main middle order guy just because he's the senior-most batsman among the younger group of players. It would ruin his game, IMO. :(
They tried it during the Chappell era by some convulted logic that No.4 is important in ODIs, and moved Tendulkar there with disastrous consequences.

So, having seen so far no-nonsense from Kirsten, I guess they will not tinker with him.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
was just an idea, and i dare say they would be thinking about it, although ideally they wouldn't want him bowling 45 overs too often either, he's a victim of his own success with the ball in that particular game

he sets them off so well at the top, maybe someone else in the middle order needs to step up into that partnership breaker role, not that you will select them for that.

anyone for pathan for a recall ? wasnt that long ago he was man of the match in perth

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
was just an idea, and i dare say they would be thinking about it, although ideally they wouldn't want him bowling 45 overs too often either, he's a victim of his own success with the ball in that particular game

he sets them off so well at the top, maybe someone else in the middle order needs to step up into that partnership breaker role, not that you will select them for that.

anyone for pathan for a recall ? wasnt that long ago he was man of the match in perth
Irfan is one of those the Indian fans shifted from the God category to the Demon category sometime back so you may not find many backers. Indians worship their Gods (and there are thousands of them - Gods that is) with great fervour but they also detest the demons (in their millions - the demons that is) with even greater ferocity.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
There were two bouncers bowled at him, in succession, in the first game and it was impossible not to notice what happened. Yuvraj ducked from his shoulders with his head tucked in and looking at the ground (I suppose his eyes must have been shut) while his hands waived the bat across the line of the ball in a reflex response. The bat hit the ball and it went to the boundary. The bowler must have been encouraged by the way Yuvraj reacted and bowled another short one next ball. Yuvraj, this time didn't duck but turned his head away, facing square-leg before the ball had reached him and swung a 'blind bat' across the line of the ball. This time he made better contact than the previous ball and it went to the boundary again. As far as I recall, no more bouncers were aimed at him. I think this was an error.
England finally got it. They kept bowling Swann and an assortment of medium paced rubbish at Yuvraj. No testing bouncers and finally this in the 36th over ....

35.5 Flintoff to Yuvraj Singh, no run, Flintoff angles a short ball at Yuvraj's body and he mis-times the pull to midwicket, Flintoff gives Yuvraj a long hard stare

35.6 Flintoff to Yuvraj Singh, OUT, stunned silence at Green Park! Yuvraj goes after a short ball from Flintoff and tries to pull, he gets cramped for room by the angle into him from round the wicket and hits it in the air towards deep square leg, Broad runs to his left and holds the catch​

Yuvraj has a problem and I will be shocked if England take so long, after he has come to the crease, to do try this in the next ODI.

Precambrian

Banned
England finally got it. They kept bowling Swann and an assortment of medium paced rubbish at Yuvraj. No testing bouncers and finally this in the 36th over ....

35.5 Flintoff to Yuvraj Singh, no run, Flintoff angles a short ball at Yuvraj's body and he mis-times the pull to midwicket, Flintoff gives Yuvraj a long hard stare

35.6 Flintoff to Yuvraj Singh, OUT, stunned silence at Green Park! Yuvraj goes after a short ball from Flintoff and tries to pull, he gets cramped for room by the angle into him from round the wicket and hits it in the air towards deep square leg, Broad runs to his left and holds the catch​

Yuvraj has a problem and I will be shocked if England take so long, after he has come to the crease, to do try this in the next ODI.
Good thing was that Flintoff dared Yuvraj to attempt a shot of the next short delivery. And he walked into the trap. So much for test class. My foot.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Good thing was that Flintoff dared Yuvraj to attempt a shot of the next short delivery. And he walked into the trap. So much for test class. My foot.
Yuvraj does not move his backfoot towards the stumps at all. He is basically a front foot player. There is no way you can play the really top class bowlers without a decent backfoot game.