• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who do you currently regard as the 3 greatest Australian cricket players ever and why

MrIncredible

U19 Cricketer
take out barry richards and fred truman and bring in allan donald and walter hammond, please
Wait did i leave Donald out?? WTH I assure u that was a typo. Much apologies DOnald

RSA: Donald, G Pollock, Kallis.

As for Trueman well its a toss up between him and Trueman but i tend to rate great bowlers over great batsmen and England have loads of batsmen comparable to Hammond (Hobbs, Sutcliffe, Barrington, Hutton, Compton) but Trueman stands heads and shoulders above ne other English pacer ( i dont consider Barnes a pacer btw).

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Code:
[B]England[/B] 	Hobbs       	Barnes      	Hammond
[B]Windies[/B]     	Headley     	Sobers      	Worrell
[B]India[/B]         	Tendulkar	Kapil         	Gavaskar
[B]Pakistan[/B]	Hanif         	Imran        	Akram
[B]SAfrica[/B]      	Pollock      	Nourse AD	Faulkner
[B]New Zealand[/B]	Sutcliffe	Hadlee      	Crowe
[B]Sri Lanka[/B]	Muralitharan	Aravinda	Jayasuriya
[B]Zimbabwe[/B]	Flower A	Streak       	Taibu
NOTES :
  1. Worrell for his batting as well as his captaincy at a crucial juncture for West Indies.
  2. Taibu for his brave attempt to keep the Zimbabwe cricket's flag flying in the most desperate of times and with himself not much more than a schoolboy.

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bradman: Because his record speaks for itself. You don't average that much over such a long period without being extremely talented.
Warne: I could sit down and watch Warne bowl all day long. I know a lot of people talk up the bowlers from the past, but he is the best I've ever seen and I'd be very surprised if there was an Australian spin bowler better ever.
McGrath: Was so so good for so long. Brilliant control, brilliant cricketing brain, and a brilliant bowler.

bagapath

International Captain
hobbs - hammond - botham
imran - miandad - akram
gavaskar - kapil - sachin
bradman - miller - gilchrist
sobers - richards - marshall
aravinda - jayasuriya - murali
hadlee - crowe - chris cairns
faulkner - g.pollock - donald
houghton - a.flower - streak

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I'll cheat a bit here, given that the top two for Australia are unquestionably:

1. D. Bradman
2. D. Aylight

I'll pick the next three:

1. Shane Warne
2. Keith Miller
3. Glenn McGrath

Lillee, Trumper, Gilchrist, Chappell G, O'Reilly and a host of others all worthy of a mention.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
As for the rest of the cricketing world:

ENG: Grace, Hobbs, Barnes
SA: Faulkner, G Pollock, Donald
WI: Sobers, Richards, Marshall
NZL: Hadlee, M Crowe, Reid
IND: Tendulkar, Gavaskar, Kapil Dev
PAK: Imran, Wasim, Javed
SL: Muralitharan, Sangakkara, Aravinda
ZIM: A Flower, Streak, Taibu

a massive zebra

International Captain
Bradman
Miller - Arguably the only Australian to have had the ability to make it at test level both as a batsman and a bowler, certainly their most complete allrounder.
O'Reilly - much better control and consistency than Warne or Grimmett and much better record against the best teams of their time.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Bradman
Miller - Arguably the only Australian to have had the ability to make it at test level both as a batsman and a bowler, certainly their most complete allrounder.
O'Reilly - much better control and consistency than Warne or Grimmett and much better record against the best teams of their time.
I think it is perfectly all right to consider him better than the other two after all no less a person than the Great Sir Donald considered him the greatest bowler of all time but I am curious to know how you came to the conclusion that he had "much better control and consistency than Grimmett"

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bradman - pretty obivous why, best batsman
Warne - best spinner of all time, IMO
3rd one, IMO Miller, Lillie, McGrath & G Chappell all have claims to this. I'll be contreverisal and go Lillie.

bagapath

International Captain
Bradman - pretty obivous why, best batsman
Warne - best spinner of all time, IMO
3rd one, IMO Miller, Lillie, McGrath & G Chappell all have claims to this. I'll be contreverisal and go Lillie.
i dont see anything controversial here. lillee has a very legit claim to be equal to/better than the other names you've mentioned. if you go by the wisden rankings from 2000 when some eminent names sat together to pick the top 5 cricketers of the 20th century, bradman, warne and lillee is the most accepted order among cricket experts.

jeevan

International 12th Man
That requires a long reply. I will come back and do it I promise :)

I must stress, however, its a tough choice and my preference for O'Reilly is personal although I will, as promised try to answer your specific query. I must confess, I am slightly biased in favour of conventional spinners (read those who flight the ball and generally bowl at a "spinner's speed") rather than those who bowl close to the speed of medium pacers like O'Reilly and Kumble.
Err, a "slight" slip there. You preference is for Grimmett, is it not.

Trumpers_Ghost

U19 Cricketer
Vic Trumper - The archetype of modern batting technique and entertainer
Don Bradman - The superstar
Shane Warne - The matchwinner

would be happy with Miller, Lillee or Border

:)

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Bradman - Duh.
Miller - The best all-rounder ever IMO, should be enough.
McGrath - One of the best fast bowlers ever, has an amazing average for someone who bowled in an era of such flat pitches.