• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which team will Mendis torment the most

Which will be Mendis bunny team?

• Total voters

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I feel terribly sorry for you, but the sheer stupidity of your posts, you utter lack of a sense of humour and the fact that I just found out about the ignore user feature (:ph34r:) means that I'm afraid you're being plonked. I deeply admire the resilience and patience of those who read your posts and take you seriously.
Good riddance to you, I'll look forward to not having to read your attempts at criticism of me. If, on the other hand, you still try it, we'll all know you're not using ignore-lists for what they're designed for.
In other news: Stuart MacGill played 44 tests, had an average below 30, a tremendous strike rate (better than Warne's), was definitely test standard, and CA would give an arm and a leg to haul him out of retirement.
No they wouldn't as he was clearly of little use in 2007/08, and MacGill's figures flatter him about as much as any player's in history do and only the most simplistic judge a player by his career average alone.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBH, I was exaggerating to prove a point, but the idea still stands, that out of all the sides in the world over the past 20 years, England have probably been the worst players of spin in the world.
Don't know about the worst - New Zealand, West Indies, Pakistan and even sometimes Australia and South Africa have all had plenty of poor players of spin in that time.

However, precious few batsmen are bad players purely and simply of the ball bowled slow. It has to turn to offer any real threat, and if it's sufficiently wayward it also won't threaten much.

IE, the pitch has to be a turner or the bowler has to be a Murali or Warne. Otherwise almost any competent batsman will have little trouble. To take advantage of a poor player of spin, there has to be turn and a reasonable degree of accuracy.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I've got a feeling he might end up as the all-time highest wicket taker by the time he's done, barring injury or early retirement.
What? You're giving him 700+ wickets? There are a lot of things other than injury or retirement that can keep a bowler from taking 700 wickets.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
What? You're giving him 700+ wickets? There are a lot of things other than injury or retirement that can keep a bowler from taking 700 wickets.
Just a prediction SS.

I think a few years ago I predicted Graeme Smith to have a chance of the all-time record for most test runs. If his elbow goes alright, I reckon he's still a chance, despite his drop from 05-07 :)

pup11

International Coach
Australia, South Africa and India are the only three teams likely to have any sort of upper-hand over Mendis and that too when each of them play him in their own backyards, facing Mendis in Sri Lanka would be tough task for every team.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Australia, South Africa and India are the only three teams likely to have any sort of upper-hand over Mendis and that too when each of them play him in their own backyards, facing Mendis in Sri Lanka would be tough task for every team.
I would back the current indian lot to do well against him but once the likes of Dravid and Tendulkar goes then I don't have all that confidence in the likes of Yuvrajs, raina's or the sharma's in handling Mendis.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I would back the current indian lot to do well against him but once the likes of Dravid and Tendulkar goes then I don't have all that confidence in the likes of Yuvrajs, raina's or the sharma's in handling Mendis.
They didn't though, did they? Dravid didn't have a clue whilst Sachin was still asking for referrals after being caught stone dead or leathering the ball into the close fielder’s hands. Only Sehwag and Gautam looked good against him. Apparently according to Dhoni, the Indian players were able to read/pick him but that didn’t stop Mendis breaking Alec Bedser’s record...

G.I.Joe

International Coach
If anything, I'd back the younger lot of Indian batsmen (Yuvraj excepted) to do better against Mendis than an ageing Sachin/Dravid/Ganguly.

Xuhaib

International Coach
They didn't though, did they? Dravid didn't have a clue whilst Sachin was still asking for referrals after being caught stone dead or leathering the ball into the close fielder’s hands. Only Sehwag and Gautam looked good against him. Apparently according to Dhoni, the Indian players were able to read/pick him but that didn’t stop Mendis breaking Alec Bedser’s record...
haha...yeah I should have mentioned that I was speaking in terms of if a series is being played in India.

Xuhaib

International Coach
If anything, I'd back the younger lot of Indian batsmen (Yuvraj excepted) to do better against Mendis than an ageing Sachin/Dravid/Ganguly.
Don't now much about guys like Pujara, Badri or Kohli since I havent seen them bat but if you are talking about players like Rohit Sharma or Suresh Raina then I am afraid I would have to disagree with you.

Evermind

International Debutant
Of course. But I don't see how it's an unreasonable prediction in Mendis' case. India and Bangladesh have been completely clueless against him, and he does bowl extremely accurately and has infinite variations. He debuted at around the same age as Warne when he debuted, and given the packed test schedule coming up, I think his career might follow the same path as Murali's, except there's every indication he might be even more successful. Let's not forget: even Sri Lankans had trouble picking him, and I imagine he gave them every clue possible.

I understand how it's slightly premature given the number of tests he has played, but sometimes you just get a feeling about someone. Like Warner, Duminy, etc.