• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which is the better test hat trick

?

• McGraths - Campbell, Lara, Adams

Votes: 20 51.3%
  • Pathan - Butt, Younis, Yousuf

Votes: 19 48.7%

• Total voters

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Aside from Lara, the other two were OK. Pathan removed the top three of the Pakistani batting order, and the score was 0/3 after the first over. But can't vote against my boy.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
What Irfan did was incredible... Any old test playing bozo can take a hat-trick, but to do it in the first over is something special.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Pathan. I remember how incredibly shocked I was when that happened. I mean I can understand Butt, but to get Younis and Yousaf in successful deliveries, that too in the first over, completely took me by surprise

<However, I'd like to borrow NP's line here and say "that one hurt for about 3 hours"!> :p

Nishant

International 12th Man
Pathan. I remember how incredibly shocked I was when that happened. I mean I can understand Butt, but to get Younis and Yousaf in successful deliveries, that too in the first over, completely took me by surprise

<However, I'd like to borrow NP's line here and say "that one hurt for about 3 hours"!> :p

pakistan still went on to win the damn match! :@

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
How about "they were in completely different circumstances and to compare would be totally and utterly futile"?

haroon510

International 12th Man
McGrath's. becuase he won the match for his team. irfan did something that put his team in top but his team couldn't take advantage of it and got out with less score. second inngs he wasn't impersive at all.

godofcricket

State 12th Man
Well as i take it isnt this topic only about the better test hatrick and not how it affected the match? Anyway i would pick Pathans, and i think he easily wins it, amazing line and length with amazing control of inswing.......i really do keep watching the delivery he bowled to yousuf. Just brilliant :cool: .....Mcgraths hatrick might have lead Australia to win but very boring to watch.

ripper868

International Coach
voted pathan...based on solely the hat-trick itself...if bringing in game situations etc then it would have been mcgrath

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Went for Pathan, remember talking to an Indian mate when it happened. He was in hysterics.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Talking about the hat-trick itself, it has to be Pathan. No doubt who was more valuable in the game as a whole though.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Meh, Australia most likely would've won with or without McGrath's hat-trick though. Pathan's probably had a greater effect on the match.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Meh, Australia most likely would've won with or without McGrath's hat-trick though. Pathan's probably had a greater effect on the match.
I was thinking that too. Fair enough India got belted, but Pathan's hat-trick pushed the match in a direction it definitely would have not gone in I believe.

Can you imagine what was going through Imran Farhat's head being on the non-striker's end of that hat-trick? Would have been surreal.

archie mac

International Coach
I was thinking we could have a battle of the hat-tricks; explaining the state of the match and the quality of the players involved in the hat-trick. There must have been a few by now, but not too many, so it would not take to much time to run the battle. Could be fun:)

Laurrz

International Debutant
close poll...

anyways McGraths was all tactical..all of the deliveries were tactically bowled.. had McGrath all over it

Pathans was all basically well pitched up inswingers [outy to butt] with the new cherry on a very juicy pitch

Laurrz

International Debutant
I in a direction it definitely would have not gone in I believe.

i dunno, 3-0 seems really big but it only takes one good partnership on a minefield to do well.. plus batting first gives u the advantage of bowling last... i alawys thought Pakistan could fight back actually..and what a gem of a knock by Kamran Akmal

Also morning of that match McGrath nominated on 2kY that Campell would be his 299, Lara 300 and Adams 301st test victim...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
i dunno, 3-0 seems really big but it only takes one good partnership on a minefield to do well.. plus batting first gives u the advantage of bowling last... i alawys thought Pakistan could fight back actually..and what a gem of a knock by Kamran Akmal.
My argument is that had either of Younis or Yousuf had a chance to settle, Pakistan would have been in an even stronger position than they eventually got to thanks to Akmal and Razzaq. Once the ball got old it wasn't THAT hard a pitch to bat on on day 1, and Pakistan could have gotten over 300 were it not for Irfan. With Pakistan's awesome bowling line-up, it would have been curtains for India IMO.