• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which International Team Do You Support?

Which International Team do you Support?

• Total voters

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Similar has been done before and we have looked at CW demographics in the past.

I thought it may be interesting to see the breakdown of who supports who and in what numbers.

An early prediction (given the info from site traffic) is that India will be the biggest group and given the origin of the site New Zealand should be disproportionally represented.

If you support more than 1 team then grow some balls an pick a favourite. :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Since our resident Moderator has deleted the unneccessary thread without moving my post, I'll make it again. :p

I've always supported England more than anyone else, and South Africa next, and only exceptionally rarely have I had good reason to question the status-quo. But the gap between second and third is considerably smaller than the gap between first and second. In fact, third and everything below is an ever-changing entity.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Since our resident Moderator has deleted the unneccessary thread without moving my post, I'll make it again. :p

I've always supported England more than anyone else, and South Africa next, and only exceptionally rarely have I had good reason to question the status-quo. But the gap between second and third is considerably smaller than the gap between first and second. In fact, third and everything below is an ever-changing entity.
Why South Africa second, Rich - is it a case of them just having players you particularly liked, or some other affinity?

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
England. Then whoever's playing Australia. (With Scotland when they play quite high up too.)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why South Africa second, Rich - is it a case of them just having players you particularly liked, or some other affinity?
South Africa were the team playing England when I went from liking cricket as a background-ish thing that I loosely followed each summer to really, really liking and following religiously. The date being 1998, of course.

It may be as simple as that they were the first team other than England who I really noticed the ups and downs of. Or it may be that I just gained affinity with the likes of Allan Donald and Gary Kirsten, then later many others.

Shoggz

School Boy/Girl Captain
England. Since Boycott was in the team.. Bet there's not many who can say that?!!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Fair enough mate, figured it would be something to do with the Donald-love. :p
TBH I think my love of AAD is independent from SA. I've never, for instance, had any particular remarkable affinity with Sri Lanka (though they have far more often than not been 3rd on my list, for multiple reasons) despite my adoration for one PA de Silva, and I like Aravinda even more than Donald. Donald is merely my 2nd-favourite bowler ever, Aravinda is my favourite batsman bar none.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I reckon the overwhelming majority of voters will vote consistently for where they were born or at least where their heritage is on this one. It will be very interesting to see who, if anyone, doesn't.

What could also be interesting is who CWers would support last among international teams. I'd think Australia would surely romp away with that poll.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
I think most of you know by now. No second favourites, I hate everyone else equally. Crush, kill, destroy!

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
For me, I like the SA team more than England, I know more about SA cricket and have a greater afinity towards those involved in SA cricket than I do English cricket.

However, its impossible to look passed the fact that I grew up wanting to play for England and it hurts far more when England lose than SA.

Despite a whole host of reasons why it could be SA, it isnt even close.

Shoggz

School Boy/Girl Captain
1964? Not bad. Think the oldest England fans on here started following around about 1971 (the two Davids).
Actually, that beats me then. My earliest memories are from 1974/1975ish. The first players whose names stuck in my head were Bob Woolmer and David Steele.