• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which Indian players were unlucky not be given a consistent chance?

Jumno

U19 Captain
D Gandhi
S Ramesh
Kantikar
J Martin
Badani
R Sodhi
Dhahiya (w/k)
V Bharadwaj-off spin
Kumaran-pace
Mohanty-pace
Kuruvilla-pace

Harvinder Singh-pace
R Gavaskar
Salvi-pace
M Prasad(w/k)
Ratra(w/k)
Dasgupta(w/k)
Kapoor (played in 96 wc)
VRV Singh-pace
I Pathan-pace
Balaji-pace
R Powar
N Chopra-off spin
A Khurunishya (Picked for 99 wc)
S Sriram
Joshi-left arm spin
M Kartick-left arm spin
A Bhandari (played in asia cup 2000/sharjah series 2000)
Anolka-pace
Banajaree-pace
RP Singh-pace
Bahuttle-leg spin
Chauhan
Bedade
Dighe (w/k)
Saba Karim (w/k)
Wasim Jaffer
Venugopal Rao
Uthappa (played in a handful of odi's)
S Banger
Amit Misha-leg spin bowling
Rathore
Kulkarni-spinner
R Shangvi-pace
P Kumar
Skula-pace

V Kumar
Dinda
Undakat

Vs the guys who got the chance and played consistently:

Sreesanth
Ganguly
Tendulkar
Laxman
Dravid
Yuvraj
Kaif
D Mongia
Mongia (w/k)
Dhoni (w/k)
P Patel (w/k)
D Mongia

Azharuddin
Jadeja
Kambli
Sidhu
V Raju
Kumble
H Singh
Chohan
V Prasad

Srinath
Zaheer
Nehra
Agarkar
M Patel
Bumrah
U Yadav
I Sharma

M Shami
M Siraj
B Kumar
Pant (w/k)
Saha (w/k)
Raina
Pujara
Dhawan
Kohli
R Sharma
Rahane
KL Rahul
Vihari
K Yadav
Chahal
Ashwin
R Jadeja
P Chawla
H Pandya
Jadhav
M Pandey
Pandya
K Pandya
Nair

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
Apart from other names I feel Robin Uthappa's prime years were wasted. He was scoring runs in IPl & wasn't backed too much as well. Could have been gun option for T20I

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Apart from other names I feel Robin Uthappa's prime years were wasted. He was scoring runs in IPl & wasn't backed too much as well. Could have been gun option for T20I
Always felt he was extremely dodgy against real 140+ kph pace. He was late on the ball back in the first IPL even against 135+ kph of Gony, and this was me watching live at the Chepauk.

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
Always felt he was extremely dodgy against real 140+ kph pace. He was late on the ball back in the first IPL even against 135+ kph of Gony, and this was me watching live at the Chepauk.
If you consider what was happening with our openers in 2014 T20 WC & in 2016 when we had to open with Rahane's in KO's.. I'd say Uthappa would have done much better. His strokes and range were much better than Dhawan & Rahane's for T20Is.

Noumenon

U19 Vice-Captain
Regionalism is rampant in Indian cricket and there's always a reason to be aggrieved no matter which state/region you belong to or support. Even so, it's hard to think of any egregious case of talent being overlooked.

cnerd123

likes this
Has Piyush Chawla been discussed here. And that Badrinath chap?
Piyush got plenty of chances, but unfortunately all of them came when he was really young and not fully developed as a spinner. Then he kinda went through a weird patch where he started scoring a ton of runs in domestix, his bowling fell away a bit. His career overlapped with so many other good spinners and he just couldn't find much consistency at any level despite having an abundance of talent. FC average of 32 is probably a fair reflection of his overall ability.

Despite playing so little he was a member the 2011 world cup winning squad, so he'll always have that.

Jayro

U19 12th Man
A list comprising players from domestic circuit of 90's will always be incomplete without the mammoth machine of runs which was Ajay Sharma- a first class average of 67 with more than 10,000 runs,, for a season or two he shifted gears further and started scoring at a staggering average of 90 - but was kept bereft of a place in Indian team, was instrumental in Delhi winnig the Ranji trophy despite of a comparative lack of big names in the team.

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
Utpal Chatterjee, was clearly the best left arm off spinner in his era, far better than raju, joshi, Kulkarni, sangvi and few others who got many more chances than him during that period. Did play against him few times. Was also a very handy batsman. Tough to believe that he never played tests for India. Though last played for India in 1995 may be.

Gob

International Coach
A list comprising players from domestic circuit of 90's will always be incomplete without the mammoth machine of runs which was Ajay Sharma- a first class average of 67 with more than 10,000 runs,, for a season or two he shifted gears further and started scoring at a staggering average of 90 - but was kept bereft of a place in Indian team, was instrumental in Delhi winnig the Ranji trophy despite of a comparative lack of big names in the team.
Interesting

Jumno

U19 Captain
Who were the unlucky Indian players not to be given a consistent chance or more chances in the Indian odi and test team?

I can think of Ramesh, Bharadwaj, M Kartick and some pacers like Balaji, Kumaran, Harvinder Singh and I Pathan.

About 90% of these players were brought in the team from 98-2002.
D Gandhi
S Ramesh
Kantikar
J Martin
Badani
R Sodhi
Dhahiya (w/k)
V Bharadwaj-off spin
Kumaran-pace
Mohanty-pace
Kuruvilla-pace

Bhandari-pace
Harvinder Singh-pace
R Gavaskar
Salvi-pace
M Prasad(w/k)
Ratra(w/k)
Dasgupta(w/k)
Kapoor (played in 96 wc)-----
VRV Singh-pace
I Pathan-pace
Balaji-pace
R Powar
N Chopra-off spin
A Khurunishya (Picked for 99 wc)
S Sriram
Joshi-left arm spin
M Kartick-left arm spin
A Bhandari (played in asia cup 2000/sharjah series 2000)
Anolka-pace-----
Banajaree-pace-----
RP Singh-pace
Bahuttle-leg spin
Chauhan
Bedade------
Dighe (w/k)
Saba Karim (w/k)
Wasim Jaffer
Venugopal Rao
Uthappa (played in a handful of odi's)
David

All 6 wicketkeepers also played in that 98-2002 region.

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
Who was the swing bowler who was really effective in England? Praveen Kumar? Played for a few tests and then was out of the picture.

Kirkut

International Regular
Surely Kambli should’ve played more.
Kambli was more talented than Tendulkar but had entitlement issues, never was willing to work on his technique and expected special treatment.

Eventually got replaced by Dravid who paid back by evolving into an ATG batsman.