• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which Indian cricketer is likely to win a WTC Final?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
ODI WC > Ashes > T20 WC > Champs trophy > WTC

"Winning test series away" depends where it is but I wouldn't out any of them as high as an ODI WC, ranging anywhere from between ODI WC & T20 WC (eg. tour of India) or lower even than WTC (eg. tour of Zimbabwe, Bangladesh, New Zealand)
Personally I'd swap the Ashes and the ODI WC around, and certainly put the WTC ahead of the Champions Trophy, which is like a second chance tourney for teams who ****ed up the last WC to try to do better in. Which is why Aus rarely has to care about it and so many other fans think it matters at all.

Spark

Global Moderator
Champions Trophy should be last in that list by miles. Its very existence is proof of its own irrelevance; the reason they keep bringing it back is because they don't have any other ideas for making non-WC ODIs worth giving a **** about, and the reason they keep dropping it is because non-WC ODIs aren't worth giving a **** about.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Personally I'd swap the Ashes and the ODI WC around
Nah I'm a big Ashes nuffy but can't get behind that. The ODI World Cup is bigger and more prestigious. Most countries have won 1 or 2 in their entire histories (or Tied one). We win the Ashes most of the time and it's every 2 years

Fair enough about the Champs trophy. It's not that I think it's important, I just don't rate this WTC at all. At least the champions trophy is a fair competition between all teams involved. Winning the WTC is a matter of circumstance as much as anything

Socerer 01

International Captain
Champions Trophy should be last in that list by miles. Its very existence is proof of its own irrelevance; the reason they keep bringing it back is because they don't have any other ideas for making non-WC ODIs worth giving a **** about, and the reason they keep dropping it is because non-WC ODIs aren't worth giving a **** about.
i’d rather have the champions trophy than the wtc, only reason why champions trophy sounds silly now is because the odi wc in its current format of 10 teams is an extended champions trophy already

Socerer 01

International Captain
Nah I'm a big Ashes nuffy but can't get behind that. The ODI World Cup is bigger and more prestigious. Most countries have won 1 or 2 in their entire histories (or Tied one). We win the Ashes most of the time and it's every 2 years

Fair enough about the Champs trophy. It's not that I think it's important, I just don't rate this WTC at all. At least the champions trophy is a fair competition between all teams involved. Winning the WTC is a matter of circumstance as much as anything
if the unlikely event of Sri Lanka making it into the last final came to pass then it would have made even more people realise how silly the entire tournament is as a concept

Socerer 01

International Captain
yeah i bet many Indian fans dont even remember how many Asia Cups they won in the last decade where as they all remember the 2013 champions trophy win in a rain curtailed match and the 2017 thrashing to Pakistan

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think saying the WTC final is a joke is fair. I just think putting it on par with the ODI WC or a big away test series win is silly. I don't even think making it a 3 match series like people suggest is going to change that perception any time soon.
Even home series win is more important than WTC title. I wouldn't give away BG trophy or Anthony de Mello trophies for WTC.

Majestic

U19 Debutant
I would take WTC over WT20 titles too.

Folks tell me, Windies won two WT20 titles. Does anyone take them seriously as a cricket nation over the last decade? The answer is NO. Both New Zealand and South Africa are rated as superior cricket nations over Windies inspite of not having T20 titles. As much as one says, Kane Williamson does have a WTC trophy in his cabinet to say for with a superlative performance in the Finals.

WTC Final is an isolated test match but a test match between two nations in a neutral venue certainly adds up for more excitement, more so after 50-60 days of non stop regular T20 tamashas via IPL.

Socerer 01

International Captain
I would take WTC over WT20 titles too.

Folks tell me, Windies won two WT20 titles. Does anyone take them seriously as a cricket nation over the last decade? The answer is NO. Both New Zealand and South Africa are rated as superior cricket nations over Windies inspite of not having T20 titles. As much as one says, Kane Williamson does have a WTC trophy in his cabinet to say for with a superlative performance in the Finals.

WTC Final is an isolated test match but a test match between two nations in a neutral venue certainly adds up for more excitement, more so after 50-60 days of non stop regular T20 tamashas via IPL.
they’re not taken seriously because they didn’t even qualify for the last 2 world cups genius

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Even home series win is more important than WTC title. I wouldn't give away BG trophy or Anthony de Mello trophies for WTC.
Undoubtedly no Indian fan would want to trade a big home series win for a WTC title.

Winning WTC won't make up for losing a big series at home.

Victor Ian

International Coach
I'd rate Asia cup over champions trophy. Being the best in your own hood beats being the best in a comp that is not the best because that's the world cup.

I wish they'd make a southern hemisphere cup.