• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which Country has contributed to International Cricket more ?

Which country England or Australia has contributed more to Cricket?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

C_C

International Captain
England.
And by a light year and half.
History has a way of being terribly short-sighted and forgetting the past.
Infact, I'd say that England's contributions towards cricket overshadows the collective contribution of ALL other cricketing nations.

Matt79

Global Moderator
England - if they weren't so good at drubbing the Frogs, confounding the Spainards and beating the Hun, not to mention 'civilising' large chunks of other people's land, cricket would never have spread beyond that blessed plot, that scepted isle.

And we'd all be playing baseball (shudder!!!!)

C_C

International Captain
not to mention 'civilising' large chunks of other people's land,
???!?!!!?
How do you 'civilise' other people's lands when their civilisation is a few orders of magnitude older and more developed than your's ?
Dont mistake civility with technology.
England, like other colonial powers, went around destroying civilisations the world around and looting/pillaging. Thats the basis of the wealth in England and the west.

Last edited:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Matt79 said:
England - if they weren't so good at drubbing the Frogs, confounding the Spainards and beating the Hun, not to mention 'civilising' large chunks of other people's land, cricket would never have spread beyond that blessed plot, that scepted isle.

And we'd all be playing baseball (shudder!!!!)
What makes you think baseball would have evolved had England not "civilised" America?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
C_C said:
???!?!!!?
How do you 'civilise' other people's lands when their civilisation is a few orders of magnitude older and more developed than your's ?
England, like other colonial powers, went around destroying civilisations the world around and looting/pillaging. Thats the basis of the wealth in England and the west.
I'm sure he put the word civilising in inverted commas for a reason CC.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
To add another piece to the England side.
Every year Counties and Clubs employ half the worlds cricketers during the summer.

The world of cricket is all together in one place at one time. Every club from the village to the semi-pro have overseas players.

This is a massive contribution to the professionalization (is that even a word?) of the global game and has also served as a training arena and finishing school for many players.

Experiencing different conditions and learning to cope with the fact a team completely relies on them means, that for generations, cricketers have said that their time in England helped make them the player they are/were.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Baseball is a good game, I don't think it would be all that terrible if we played baseball.

I rank the sports thus (of course its arbitrary, but since its my ranking, its actually the truth):

1. American Football (not the pansy European version ;))
2. Cricket
3. Basketball
4. Baseball

That's my top four. Baseball would be at #3, if it wasn't for the damn player's union. I want to put hockey in as #5, but I don't think it belongs with the other sports. I don't follow soccer...I barely know the rules.

C_C

International Captain
My top 5 sports to play:

1. Tennis
2. Football (ie, FOOTball, not 'hand-foot-fight-grab-ball')
3. Cricket
4. Badminton
5. Squash

My top 5 sports to watch:

1. Cricket
2. Tennis
3. Football
4. Olympic stuff
5. Ice Hockey

pasag

RTDAS
I find every single sport fun to play, cricket, footy, soccer, vollyball, all the american ones.

But to watch...only cricket and AFL.

This got way off topic.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
My top 5 sports to play:

1. Tennis
2. Football (ie, FOOTball, not 'hand-foot-fight-grab-ball')
3. Cricket
4. Badminton
5. Squash

My top 5 sports to watch:

1. Cricket
2. Tennis
3. Football
4. Olympic stuff
5. Ice Hockey
Play

1. Rugby (either code)
2. Snooker
3. Football
4. Cricket (only fun when you bowl really)
5. Badminton

Watch

1. Rugby League
2. Cricket
3. Snooker
4. Ice Hockey
5. Rugby Union
Football comes in somewhere behind track & field, AFL, badminton, horse racing, tennis, international snail racing, etc.

Matt79

Global Moderator
C_C said:
???!?!!!?
Yep the inverted commas would indicate sarcasm.