• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which commentators irritate the pits out of you?

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Mark Nicholas, Tony Greig because he swaps from Aussie when we win to English when they win to South African when they win. Bill Lawry.

I like Michael Slater, his enthusiasm is good to listen to (probably helps that I am Australian though).

Didn't everybody love David Lloyd last year?

Brendon Julian, Greg Blewett, Damien Fleming, Mark Waugh and Allan Border are good for Fox Sports, covering all the domestic stuff, they know the players well, and Flemmo is good to listen to when he is on about bowling.

sanga1337

U19 Captain
Shastri never keeps me engaged. He always gushes like a schoolgirl when India are doing slightly above average - it's irritating. Same case as Healy, Slater, etc. There's no analysis whatsoever, no wit, nothing.

Chappell will state the obvious in the most boring manner possible. The guy could play a mean game of cricket but he has little to offer as a commentator IMO.
Disagree strongly with that. He can be a bit critical and grumpy at times but he usually has an interesting thing to say and is far from boring IMO. At least he is not overly biased and doesn't state the obvious all the time.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Boycott is hilarious when a batsman has given their wicket away with a stupid shot.
Yeah, that really grinds my gears. He's made his own method of batting the self-appointed "correct way" and anyone who does differently, even if they score thousands more runs than he did, is a scourge on society.

Precambrian

Banned
Mark Nicholas, inter alia, for being a broken record with the same phrase "He's such a hustler, husting between the wickets" whenever Dave Hussey (or Mike Hussey) runs well.

Chubb

International Regular
And that Zim oke, dunno his name.
Reckon you mean Paul Strang or Andy Pycroft, ja? Pycroft's voice is horrible from the little I've heard of it- too gutteral. Strang was good though I remember him at the 2003 WC. I'd quite like to hear Dean du Plessis' commentary, guy who's been blind from birth and commentates via sound. Doubt I will anytime soon though.

I didn't much like the Channel 9 commentators, especially Lawry. I don't mind Mark Taylor though. Lot of the Sky UK aren't all that much cop either, though Atherton and Lloyd are good for different reasons.

On the radio Agnew has gone down in my estimation over the last couple of years- he is so negative at the moment. He just doesn't seem to be enjoying it anymore.

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Reckon you mean Paul Strang or Andy Pycroft, ja? Pycroft's voice is horrible from the little I've heard of it- too gutteral. Strang was good though I remember him at the 2003 WC. I'd quite like to hear Dean du Plessis' commentary, guy who's been blind from birth and commentates via sound. Doubt I will anytime soon though.
wow, thats amazing about the du Plessis guy, I don't believe he can commentate by sound but would love to be proved wrong..

I think the original poster meant Neil Johnson? Although is he classed as SA now?

Something_Fishy

School Boy/Girl Captain
Reckon you mean Paul Strang or Andy Pycroft, ja? quote]

Yes, that's him! I remember seeing his name now! I knew it wasn't Dave Houghton, Paul Strang or Neil Johnson, 'cause I'd heard them all before, and they're ok. I'm telling you, between Paul Adams (thank God he only does domestic games) and this Pycroft chop, you've got the worst commentatory ever to have been heard on earth!

Shoggz

School Boy/Girl Captain
Boycott is hilarious when a batsman has given their wicket away with a stupid shot.
Yeah, that really grinds my gears. He's made his own method of batting the self-appointed "correct way" and anyone who does differently, even if they score thousands more runs than he did, is a scourge on society.
I disagree with this. I've heard Boycott praise all sorts of batsman. I remember him saying something like "Different styles of batting suit different situations".

In fact in this piece he did for cricinfo he makes reference to enjoying Virender Sewhag and Kevin Pietersen's style of batting.. Cricinfo - 'Coaches should be managers'

Honestly, I can't place most commentators by voice because I haven't watched live cricket regularly for a long time, but Sunil Gavaskar is someone I find fairly annoying. And Ramiz Raja to an extent.

As for people I enjoy listening to: probably Ravi Shastri and Tony Greig.
Whatttttttttttt? :-O:-O Ramiz Raja?:-O:-O

Then you call someone from heaven or............ better learn some english.:laugh::laugh:

Evermind

International Debutant
Whatttttttttttt? :-O:-O Ramiz Raja?:-O:-O

Then you call someone from heaven or............ better learn some english.:laugh::laugh:
WTF are you talking about? You're the one who needs to learn English.

And Rameez Raja is one of the absolute worst commentators in the world.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I disagree with this. I've heard Boycott praise all sorts of batsman. I remember him saying something like "Different styles of batting suit different situations".

In fact in this piece he did for cricinfo he makes reference to enjoying Virender Sewhag and Kevin Pietersen's style of batting.. Cricinfo - 'Coaches should be managers'
I actually really enjoy reading the stuff Boycs does for Cricinfo. He really knows his stuff. Unfortunately, when he commentates that's not his attitude. He labels Sehwag "brainless" and has the infuriating habit of praising every aggressive shot that comes off for a batsman then absolutely tearing into the one that gets him out, labelling it a "rush of blood to the head" or the like. It's an attitude that affects cricket in England at every level, young players are scared to play shots because there's a general idea (pinpointed recently by Goughy in another thread) that getting out to an attacking shot is much worse than getting out playing a defensive one.