• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which commentators irritate the pits out of you?

Jigga988

State 12th Man
Every single Indian commentator without exception, along with Botham and Boycott. Love Bumble and all other english commentators, didn't mind the commentary down in NZ, thought it was quite good, especially when they were analyzing the bowling of people like Jerome Taylor and the batting of people like Jamie How, thought it was quite insightful tbh. Oh yeah, Tony Cozia is a G!

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tony Greig. The man's an absolute muppet.
Indeed he is. Also can't stand Mark Nicholas.

And it's probably not Tony Cozier's fault, but the whole time he was here as guest commentator for the WI tour I couldn't help but be disappointed that he wasn't Michael Holding.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think Nicholas is that bad. I don't particularly like him either, but as a colour commentator I don't think he's terrible.

The most annoying commentators by a comfortable margin are Ian Healy and David Lloyd. The rest of the 9 team isn't much good either, but I do like Chappell and Benaud, and Taylor is improving. Benaud's been back in form a bit this year I think, found him quite funny again during the SA test series. Chappell's a good commentator from an analytical perspective and I generally find him quite amusing, mainly because he's such a grumpy bastard. Lawry, Greig, Slater etc. were all pretty bad this year. James Brayshaw is an absolute joke as well. Terrible commentator in AFL as well, guy never has anything interesting to say, and he's not funny either. Thankfully they don't let him near the tests.

The best commentary team is Sky in England. Pretty solid across the board aside from Lloyd, who is dismal. England's Healy.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
See, I also think the Sky team is the best, but its generally quite disliked on these boards, right?

African Monkey

U19 Vice-Captain
Ian Healy becauses he refuses to admit that Australia are ever in trouble and tries to change the topic when Australia lose. Geoff Boycott on the other hand says what he thinks about players and continuously wanks on about Fred Truman.

Top_Cat

Paul Allott is comfortably the very worst I've ever heard. Ian Healy, close second.

Burgey

When Healy first started I thought he was ok, because his voice didn't annoy the tripe out of me like Tubby's and they were the first two new additions to the commentary team here in many a long year, so his insight into what went on in the sheds and the mindset of modern players was pretty good imo.

But now I think he's mud tbh. Too biased and jingoistic.

As much as Bill Lawry was bad this summer, I'm prepared to excuse him that because to me he's as much a part of the summer as Benaud, he's been commentating so long. It's like there's been too many memorable moments with his hysterical commentary involved for me to want him pensioned off. Greig ****s me no end, but he was given the job for life so he's going nowhere.

Ian Smith annoys me tbh, so does Tony Cozier, but I feel sorry for him having to watch the WI of recent years having seen their glory days of yore. Must be difficult for him.

Nishan

U19 Cricketer
Arul Lal goes on about nature and birds half the time its bit annoying personally,Sidhu was ok if he was doing 5 minute stints because i cant handle 30 minutes of him maybe because i am trying to remember every single thing he said so that i can use it in someway because his sentences are amusing.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Bruce Yardley, most Sri Lankan commentators, most Indian commentators, most Australian commentators (even Benaud is becoming rather average).

I do enjoy most English commentators, Pommie, Cozier (whenever he isn't in a bad mood) and a few of the better Kiwi's. Styris has been quite good so far.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Styris has been quite good so far.
Really? I found him to be completely vacuous. Doesn't have the most interesting of voices either.

South African commentators tend to be better-than-average. Barry Richards was good and Shaun Pollock seemed pretty decent for a beginner.

Flem274*

123/5
Worst: Most of C9 (bar Taylor, Benuad and Chappel). Hussain, Yardley, Crowe, Doull, many Asian commentators

Best: The three C9 exceptions, Smith, S Fleming (in the one game he did), Lloyd, Holding, Cozier.

Bruce Yardley is by far the worst. All series all he said was "play some shots, you need to attack, hit a six, play some shots ya *****" in his annoying voice.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Really? I found him to be completely vacuous. Doesn't have the most interesting of voices either.

South African commentators tend to be better-than-average. Barry Richards was good and Shaun Pollock seemed pretty decent for a beginner.
I like when he talks about the team plans. If I could have any ex-Blackcap in the box right now I'd probably say Bond.

Doully is really developing into quite a good commentator, love him with Richardson. Pretty much no bias (besides for either the bowling -Doully or the batting-Mark) which is a welcome thing in the box. Especially when the team we're playing against has few national commentators brought along.

On another note: Is Ian Smith getting worse?

Athlai

Not Terrible
Worst: Most of C9 (bar Taylor, Benuad and Chappel). Hussain, Yardley, Crowe, Doull, many Asian commentators

Best: The three C9 exceptions, Smith, S Fleming (in the one game he did), Lloyd, Holding, Cozier.

Bruce Yardley is by far the worst. All series all he said was "play some shots, you need to attack, hit a six, play some shots ya *****" in his annoying voice.
I like Doully he knows the game and he always backs the bowlers regardless of which side he's on. Plus he's a bit of a prick and makes a good colour commentator. :laugh:

Hussain used to be gun I tells ya! He's just gotten so apathetic in the past year or so.

Meanwhile Holding is easily my favorite (besides Pommie but I've heard less of him).

_Ed_

Yeah I'll add Yardley to my list now that others have mentioned him and remindedme of his direness. Absolutely dreadful.