• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

where would england rank among the great sides of the past?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
The series has rather confirmed the suspicion that Australia and Sri Lanka made the batting look a fair bit stronger than it really is.
It's certainly confirmed that the depth of the batting is absolutely vital to the team's success. I don't think the top 6 are up there with the best combinations ever, which doesn't mean that it doesn't contain some fine players. However, the guys from 7 to 9 are right up there with the best in those positions, so we don't often get rolled over for silly scores, and often we end up exponentially better than looked likely at the fall of the 5th wicket.

The other thing that has changed over the last 18 months or so is the penetration of the bowling, which nearly always does the business nowadays whereas it was previously OK with occasionally lethal bursts.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah Sydney comes to mind. The game was actually not that far from being even when the 5th wicket fell IIRC, but then it just all went to poo.

Spark

Global Moderator
Were England seriously 8/124 at one stage? Seriously? Or even 50 behind with 6 wickets left to get?

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Been one of the most remarkable turnarounds in a test match in the last 10 years since Laxman and Dravid v Australia.
AWTA, unfortunately the scoreboard at a glance doesn't really show the full story. It's only when you look at the fall of wickets that you get an Idea.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wins in Australia are very common of course, hence why it happens so often
The reason it hasn't happened often lately though is because we had a great team...wins in Australia were reasonably common in the 80's, and I reckon they'll become a bit more common in the next couple of years if the team playing us is decent (if they're better than decent then we could get a flogging like England handed out to us recently).

If Hilditch and co don't **** it up completely we might go ok again sometime in the not too distant future.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I don't see anyone other than England or South Africa being capable of winning Tests in Australia tbh. India's new boys at Perth would be all kinds of hilarious.

Son Of Coco

Probably not, but that says more about the level those teams are at than how hard it is to win in Australia. If you have a good team then you'll win out here at the moment (or have a good chance)...rewind back to the late 90's/early to mid 2000's and if Australia had a full strength squad it was still difficult even if you had a good team.

It's not the place that's overly difficult to win in, it's the quality of the team that lives there at the time. Home ground advantage won't help you if you dish up inconsistent cricket and the team you're playing is good.

Last edited:

hang on

State Vice-Captain
what an aboslutely dominating performance!

it would be nice if the indians managed to put up a fight for the rest of the series...

grecian

The one quibble I have in our team is the quality of catching, particularly in the slips. If we'd just caught decently, we could ave won both matches even easier:-O

Still, nice to have something to improve on.

The depth in pace bowling is something that I've never seen as an England fan, not even remotely. The batting unit keeps on coming up trumps to. When some don't perform the others stand up, the sign of a very good line-up.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lets face it we probably have 3 attacks that could go out and do the business against most sides outside the top 3.

Anderson, Broad, Tremlett and Swann

Bresnan, Finn, Onions and Panesar

Shahzad, Woakes, Harris/Dernbach and Rashid/Briggs

I can certainly think of some England sides in the last 20 years with a weaker attack than the last one.

Add in the batting talent coming through with Taylor, Stokes and Bairstow just to name a few and the future looks pretty good. How good they are only time will tell but I can never remember such depth in an England squad, crikey we spent much of the last 20 years continuing to pick failures as there was nobody better.